Guess what arrived (surprise surprise the winnings) AMD DRAGON Kit

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Judas, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Go to the normal catalyst page for win 7 and look under the 9.4 driver. There are 2 on the page.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

lol i'm blind.....

never noticed it because usually it's just a component package for a standalone driver without the ccc....

installing that one ...

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

As a rule I always DL the entire suite ;)

4. Judas

i download the entire package to..

kinda wondering why they didn't just stick the 8.612's in the top package anyways....

5. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Date is 5/5/2009 which is far newer

6. Judas

installed.. going to run vantage hopefully the mass corruption is resolved...

7. Judas

ok i haven't played with overclocking for ages...

well since the 4400+ x2 which was fairly easy but now i'm a little overwhelmed by the number of overclocking sliders and such for voltages there are...

either way... i can get the phenom II to post at 4.1ghz using stock voltage.. but no load windows (3.5ghz stable, 3.6ghz mostly stable, 3.7ghz not so stable, 3.8ghz and it won't even load windows)

so figuring this... i first dove to 1.4v on the cpu only, and while 3.6ghz and 3.7ghz are stable, 3.8ghz still won't boot into windows.. won't post at all beyond 4.1ghz still...

so 1.45v

3.8ghz still won't load windows.. 4.1ghz still posts but nothing beyond yet..

1.5v, 3.8ghz still won't load windows... 4.3ghz posts.. but any higher won't (another .2ghz post...)

so i was able to post, load into the bios @ 4.3ghz with 1.5v... cpu temperature according to the bios was 36*C and motherboard temperature was still sitting around 34*C, remember, 3ghz and 3.5ghz stock voltage, cpu temp remained around 24*C idle and 30*C load according to bios)

So i'm not exactly clear on what i should do...

I mean if it'll post at even 4.3ghz ... this would appear pretty damn good. that's almost a 50% cpu OVERCLOCK and remains stable within the bios options and screens.. able to save the profile for it.

I really don't want to go higher then 1.5v (that's my line) but obviously something needs more juice and i really don't think it's the CPU itself... maybe the nb or something?

I haven't played with the FSB.. i'd like to get that up around 400mhz [​IMG] but i'm leary about changing things like that yet.

8. Judas

so running 3.5ghz stock voltage again cause even with 1.5v fed to the cpu..... 3.6ghz still wasn't 100% stable..

not exactly sure where to go with it aside from changing the hyper transport and FSB to suite the 3.5ghz clock ... still don't have the good ram yet...

but with the new 8.612 drivers.. my vantage mark has improved while showing the feature tests occasionally WORSE results which baffle me..

ORB - Compare

9. Stuart_Davidson

Judas, when you work out your maximum OC for the CPU remember to run Cinebench R10 to get the multiCPU score and Sandra Memory bandwidth.

10. Judas

will do...

but i'm not sure how far i can take the vcore.. there are mixed opinions.... and frankly i find 3.5ghz while sweet.. seems lackluster at best for the this phenom compared to others on air or water cooling....

is 1.5v a fairly high voltage already.... i mean aside form 1.6 and 1.7i've seen from others..... i just think that's crazy high (although i think the V10 would do a damn good job presented with those, i just don't want to set a voltage, and never have the cpu be able to post due to instantly killing it)

Do you have any suggestions? My goal is to hit 3.8ghz.....

11. Stuart_Davidson

1.5v seems reasonable to me... i wouldn't be too happy to go higher tbh. So its all about endless tweaking of the other settings for you now. Plus it will be interesting to see what other people get in comparison... maybe they will get 3.45ghz and yours will turn out to be pretty decent.

12. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

cmon Judas, juice up that HT!

13. Judas

guess i'll stick with the 3.5ghz for the time being and start fiddling with the HT and fsb..

still heavily limited by my cpu...

14. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Hey, that's still a decent OC, and it suits your system very well, so I hope it serves you with many years of great gaming :D

Anyway, I will be making a similar thread soon courtesy of DH, not as epic as yours but still, I am excited as hell right now :D

Edit: Off Topic slightly, my Q9400 is up to 3.266Ghz stable, and it seems the bottleneck for more FSB is my current GPU, which doesn't boot at high FSB, possibly due to PCI-Express speed changes (MY CPU boots at up to 450Mhz FSB sans GPU, 391 up to 410Mhz in SW with GPU). Well, that wont be an issues soon!!!

15. Judas

well if i had faster ram... i theoretically could post a 300+ mhz FSB....

atm running 14x multiplier with 250mhz fsb and ram sitting at 415ish (830mhz).

I wish manucturers would use the same damn name for all their speeds ratings.. would be nice if ocz was able to provided a indepth set of values.

Tried applying the ocz values.. but apparently i need to bump up the voltage or something because it emediately BSOD's.

Flashed 1403 bios .... gonna attempt higher GHZ again... as it was suggested that it improves overclockability.

16. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Rather than playing with RAM voltages, try playing with the timings first. Usually RAM is rated to specific timings at a given speed, and when you overclock the ram cannot cope with it so if you loosen them up a bit you'll find the effective speed is unchanged, making the RAM more stable.

17. longhorn1000

longhorn1000 New Member

OK Judas, i posted my results in my thread... game on! :)

18. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member