Guide: How to install SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS drivers on Live!/Audigy/Audigy 2

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by BiGBrOwNPimpsta, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BONEHEAD

BONEHEAD New Member

Ok so I got bored last night and read all of the posts in this thread.lol:dead:
    Well I was doing a clean install on my kids comp that has a 5.1 plat. I got almost all aps. to work EQ was the only one of the "main" apps. I cannot get working.
    I created a cd from my ZS disc it includs all zs updates and ctcomped the drivers etc. I also dl all the little patches and added that to the cd.
    I created a English only .rar for you all. There is a Sblive stuff folder that contains apps that will work with the 5.1 plat with no patches etc.
    What I had to do to get the zs mixer and eax to work was copy the files in the Mixereax folder. here is the edonkey link.
    ed2k://|file|AUDIGY2ZS.rar|380734301|8BD1047DFF0734102B7CBFA00E75FE85|/

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  2. Bird333

Bird333 New Member

I am trying to get this working with an Audigy 1 and I am having a problem. This is on a WinXP Pro SP2 computer. I have read all these posting but I still can't get this worked out. These are the files I installed in order AFTER I installed the iso files:

1. EAX 4.0 ADVANCED HD Driver Update for Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2/Audigy 2 ZS
    2. EAX 4.0 ADVANCED HD Driver Patch Update for Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS
    3. Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS Driver Update
    4. Digital Rights Management 1.84.0055 for Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS series audio devices
    5. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS series Beta driver with OpenAL support
    6. Creative THX Setup Console Update (Version 1.00.16) for Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    7. Creative MediaSource 2 Update (Version 2.02.06) for Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    8. Creative EAX Console Update (Version 2.02.05) for Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    9. DTS Neo:6 Settings (Version 1.00.06) for Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

I copied the pfmod.dll (96KB version 0.6.3.11) from the 'patch.exe' file to the 'creative\sharedll' directory. The MediaSource, EAX, and Graphic EQ would crash. I tried the 104KB sized pfmod.dll (version 0.6.4.2) with the same results. Then I tried the 128KB pfmod.dll (version 0.6.4.14) and everything worked except the EQ. I doesn't crash like it used to, it displays this error message 'The audio device supported by this application is not detected. The application will exit'.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  3. nykon007

nykon007 New Member

alright guys, i reallly reallllyy nned help so please help me...

I downloaded the ctcomp.exe and i opened it and i got stuck in the first part...were i have to apply the patch..

were the heck is the file that i have to apply the patch too???

i put in my sdlive24-bit CD in and went in it and went to audio and setup and selsectged it, but the patch file button didnt come up..it didnt letme press it..cant let me press it..its not acting like a button that i could press.

HELP PLEASE/:confused:

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  4. Bird333

Bird333 New Member

Can anyone help with this?

5. Eck

Eck New Member

Didilo,

They unstickied the old working guide for Live to Audigy 2 long ago. But if you search you can find it. It works for the Live and Audigy 1 cards.

This method here has never worked for the Live because nobody (but the U-Pax people) has figured out how to get rid of the errors in the software opening that you mentioned.

To do it with the Audigy 2 cd, you first have to either find the iso for that cd somewhere (as the links in the old sticky thread no longer work), or simply call Creative and order an Audigy 2 (NOT ZS!) cd. Just tell them you got the card from an original owner who had lost his cd's. It's just a few dollars + shipping. They won't bother asking for the serial number as they don't care. They'll be happy to sell a cd.

Then you would just copy the cd to a folder on your hard drive and follow the guide's instructions. You need to download the Creative driver and software updates from the Audigy 2 download page, NOT the Audigy 2 ZS page.

The instructions for the old guide are essentially the same as the one here. But the Audigy 2 software will work properly on the Live.

IMPORTANT: The one big difference is you must choose the advanced installation and uncheck the EAX Console and the Speaker Calibrator. Installing those things totally screw things up on the Live. Secondly, for the best, seamless operation that will make the software operate properly ALSO DO NOT INSTALL CREATIVE MEDIA SOURCE PLAYER. Instead, download the Creative Playcenter 2 3.02.52 from the Live download page, and also, if using XP, the 3.02.70 update for it. (I think those are the numbers, but if I forgot it's just the 2 downloads on the Live's XP page.) Before rebooting following the initial cd install, install the 3.02.52 PlayCenter 2. After rebooting, if using XP, update it with the new version. Reboot again. Then install the software updates and reboot, then install the updated driver and reboot.

To keep access to things like EAX Advance EQ and such, open AudioHQ and in the options tab, check to keep it in the systray and to run at startup.

You don't get the graphic equalizer, but the EAX Console's Advanced EQ works great. To get it to work, since these drivers aren't designed for the Live, you need to take an extra step when applying the different settings (Rock, Disco, etc). Open the EAX Console from the systray tab (left click and choose it). I'm going from memory here, but just select the Advanced EQ or Parametric EQ or something like that, and in the dropdown select your desired selection (Rock, etc). Then scroll down in the big center window to Parametric and click the words Parametric so it's highlighted. Then, in the lower volume slider simply tap the volume slider button with your mouse (don't slide it anywhere, just click on it). Then click to close and when asked, tell it to save the new settings. If you don't do this you will get silence when choosing an EQ! And, you must do this every time you change the effect.

I alternate when using the Live between using the official 252 drivers and software, on 98 the older vxd's with the dos stuff, and this Audigy 2 method. Each one makes stuff sound different. All of them work fine (as long as you set it up right).

Edit - You may need to run the CTZAPP.EXE over the updated driver after the setup runs and you reboot. You can see if you need to do this by checking the driver page in device manager. If it still say the older driver version and the files don't say it's signed, then you just need to extract the driver update and run CTZAPP.EXE in the driver folder and choose to overwrite all installed stuff. Then, after rebooting, even though things look right now, you still must run the regular update setup again to get the software to all be working properly. A pain, but even on the Audigy 2 ZS I've gotta do that.

Edit 2 - It's been so long since I did this I had forgotten. Updating through driver version 383 is smooth as silk. However getting over the hump to the Audigy 2 ZS series of drivers 402 and up is a different animal. 98 will even possibly lose itself (!) if you don't use CTZAPP.EXE first to completely remove the previous drivers (not the software), then, after rebooting, CTZAPPing in the 402 driver from the Audigy 2 ZS cd.

Same with XP, except instead of losing your operating system XP is more forgiving. Your audio just won't work.

So, after you have installed and updated all your software and drivers to version 383, you can either stop there or proceed to the 402 driver by the CTZAPP method. Ctzapp the 383's out, reboot, then ctzapp the 402's in.

The 402 and up series fix problems so it is worth it.

Once you have the 402's in, you can then go ahead and do the usual ctcomp of the latest (NOT THE BETA, AND NOT THE DRM, THE ONE JUST BEFORE THAT FROM JULY). Run it, reboot, ctzapp it over itself, reboot, and then run setup a final time over itself.

Hope you didn't start before I remembered this.

Edit 3 - Heh, heh. Now I remembered that I simplified things by just starting with the 402's from the Audigy 2 ZS cd. CTZAPP in those first before you do anything. Then, after rebooting and running Ctcomp on the setup.exe file in the Audio/setup folder of the Audigy 2 cd, you can install as I explained above, BUT ALSO UNCHECK WINDOWS DRIVERS. Do what I said about PlayCenter and all, and when your ready ctcomp the July Audigy 2 ZS driver update and run it, reboot, ctzapp it over itself, reboot, then run setup again.

Whew! Ya gotta admit there was alot to remember!

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  6. nykon007

nykon007 New Member

can somebody please please help me?? i need help with the installation thing...

i installed the ctcomp (sp) file and i was installing it and i put in my sblive-24bit CD in and then i went in the CD through the installation and i went int o audio/setup and the button thats called patch files, didnt work..the button wasnt showing up as a button..idk if i selected the rong files or what?? but can somebody please help me with thais...please

i really need to upgrade my sound card cuz it sucks rite now...suc i keep getting static in my teamspeak and in counter strike source..so can somebody please help me..

7. Eck

Eck New Member

nykon007,

I don't think any Audigy 2, ZS, or Live drivers except those specifically developed for your card work. The Live 24 is a different beast. kXProject drivers don't work for that card either.

The kXProject drivers wouldn't install on my Live 5.1 SB0224 either. And the Audigy 2 drivers think its a 4.1 card. So, as usual, I'm back to the official 252 Live drivers and software. All roads seem to lead to the same place whenever I try something different.

In this case, I'd need to switch out cards with my other computer. It has an SB0100 in it. That works with the newer drivers properly. Ehh... sounds okay, not worth the trouble.

8. Rudy2305

Rudy2305 New Member

anyone who has a audigy1 one must follow this guide to get everything working and install this patch to get all items working for their cards i did it and worked fine. i had a friend with audigy2 zs cd so i just patched it with ctcomp and installed. updated all the applications and drivers then installed this pfmod.dll and got all my apllications working in top shape thanks alot Raven76 your a life saver ;)

9. Blurayfan

Blurayfan New Member

Creative Compatiblity Patch 7.6.0

What's New
    =====================
    SBLive 5.1 Cards
    =====================
    Model SB0228 ID: 00801066
    Model SB0223 ID: 00110001
    Model SB0229 ID: 0010000a
    Model SB0226 ID: 00801067
    =====================
    SB Audigy 2 LS
    =====================
    Model SB0341 ID: 08100001
    =====================

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  10. sovietdoc

sovietdoc New Member

I am installing all this junk on my Audigy Platinum, I dont get DVD-A player! :annoyed: OMFG How Comes?? I REALLY NEED IT I got shiet loads of audio dvd's and i wanna play them in 24bit/96khz >.< HEEELP

11. Eck

Eck New Member

I think you need an Audigy 2 for the DVD Audio, but you might get away with using PowerDVD 6 Deluxe. I'm not certain that it will play DVD Audio without an Audigy 2 though.

12. Bird333

Bird333 New Member

Can anyone offer some guidance on this problem?

13. bishnabob

bishnabob New Member

Audigy ZS CDs

I've been searching for a few hours now, and this is the closest I've found to helping me ..

I've got an Audigy 2 ZS (7.1) OEM card. As such, it came with no software CDs. The software on these CDs is required for the Dolby Digital support to an external decoder. I can't find anyone with the CDs or indeed any ISOs or other such images of the CDs.

Any help?

14. classic_leon

classic_leon New Member

Cool! it supports Audigy LS.

15. Blurayfan

Blurayfan New Member

16. redboul

redboul New Member

Greetings from Italy,your thread is very very useful!
    In subject now,
    Yesterday i downloaded the iso file...I used winrar to unzip it to a folder .I run the patch also the new one 7.6.1 ,the patch finished succesfully etc.
    Then i execute start.exe opened the window starting to install and error did not find any audigy2 on my system and will close etc.Why this happen?I have the Creative Live! Model CT4760 WITH A LIVE DRIVE II connected.
    Can anyone help me pls?I;ve read also beast's posts and are interesting..i try to download his rar file but nothing...If he can help me...
    I will watch continiously the thread,or if it is useful my email on msn is readboul_irc(at)hotmail.com with (at) = @
    Thnx again

PS These drivers are the best solution..Heard hear about some "new years edition drivers (beta)etc?

PS2 How cn i make a "clean" uninstall of all the creative drivers/software?

Edit
    No questions anymore installed 2,2 drivers with audigy 4 progs :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  17. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

Since I haven't had the time or motivation to go and setup some type of FTP for the ISO, I say it is better to go follow classic_leon's guide on how to mod it to an Audigy 4 Pro. Its pretty much the same thing and the drivers are newer. Give it a look over here: http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=75905. I may one day make a clear guide like this for it as well.

18. blast

blast New Member

Just now saw your post. Glad you got it working. The drivers I put together will work perfect on that card. That model was one of the cards I tested them on.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  19. redboul

redboul New Member

Now am a little bit confused.
    BiGBrOwNPimpsta on ur last post u answered to me?
    Because on that thread it says only abou installing Audigy 4 pro aplications not drivers.
    All i want to do is to find the best combination of drivers and aplications.
    For aplications i use the audigy 4's that are the latest.
    In drivers i am confused.Now i use the YouP 2.2 (but are based on sb live! drivers)
    So can anyone answer me pls clearly which are the best drivers for my card?
    You P 2,2 ,Audigy 2zs or is it possible even with audigy 4 modified drivers?And if it is possible how i find them?
    Thnx again

20. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

i don't think classic leon speaks english so he uses a translator so stuff gets a little screwy lol.

uninstall all creative drivers/apps related to your soundcard. install these drivers:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/showpost.php?p=618748&postcount=101 . the links are in the thread.

read the modified audigy 4 thread again. you need to download the driver iso and run it. the patch must be extracted after everything is complete. its pretty easy, but the youpax driver download is a bit slow.

so i am abadoning support on these audigy 2 zs drivers since there is no use for them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.