Half a Billion Powerball

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dude111, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

The jackpot for this Saturday is (OR WAS) standing at 675 million.....

I bought a ticket but I really wonder IF ANYONE REALLY EVER WINS!!!

They say they do BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN SQUAT!! (And the actors on TV saying they won DONT MEAN ANYTHING unless you can personally prove it)

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Restaurant where I worked as a Chef had a customer who won 8 Million for a while after he still came to the restaurant but I have met an actual Big Winner

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

700+ Million and counting....

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Is this the official website http://www.powerball.com/pb_home.asp ? That's one of the most dated-looking web pages I've seen in a while. BTW, how much does a ticket cost if the prize is that big?! And how much would a person actually get if they wanted to cash it in?! It says that if the winner wanted instant payout, they would get $428 million before taxes. So how much would Uncle Sam pinch?

EDIT: 35% if I found the right number. So, if the winner wanted instant payout, he would actually get some $278 million. Now, that's still a nice chunk of change, but a far cry from 700 million.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

700....wow.
    I wouldn't say no but I would not want the attention either.
    I would be ok with 1% of that. I would move to the USA, open a gaming/arcade bar in a nice neighborhood and work without (financial) worry on movies. 1%? Hell, even 0.1% would probably do.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Locally there is someone that won 23.8 million. Granted that's a wack of cash, majority of farmers deal with similarly big numbers, it's just rarely free and clear like that.

7. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Two of my good friends are really rich, like -really- rich, multi multi millionaires, and I have another friend who is just a regular old millionaire, but they are all SUPER down to earth, even the way they dress you would never know they're rich.

8. Judas

wealth means very little in plenty of aspects... those that tout it are likely to lose it quickly... I've been harassed considering my general frugal living, people having pissing competitions over wealth is just stupid to me as well... while litterally having money is one manner which means very little..... having capital assets and things that will never lose value, and can only gain value, is another... So while my total gross income for the year may be in around 3400 dollars..... my overall value is in the 1% if i were to sell out. But i'm also in debt quite a bit too.... however it's not a depreciated thing that i'm in debt for, it's an ever increasing in value thing.

If i had any serious play money to deal with however, it would be invested into proper R&D of products that don't exist yet today. Example being if i had say $20,000-40,000 that i didn't have a real need for right now, i'd visit the university, and see if i could explain and lay out a plan that would gather a few of the students there, to work on something that could potentially land them serious career opportunities and maybe even invent something, they'd have a product with their name on it.... everyone wins.

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

Part of the reason I don't wear expensive jewelry or anything, and don't try to spend anything more than what I can afford just to improve my appearance to a level that would make me look richer than what I actually am is I don't want to a) suffer from spending more than I can afford and b) attract the wrong type of people into my life.

Most people go to jobs they don't like, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't know. Which, frankly to me, doesn't make any sense at all.

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

It's fear of mortality.

11. Calliers

Elaborate please.

12. Judas

fight club reference noted..

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I should have bought MORE THAN 1 TICKET!!!! (Might increase your chances a little)

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

No... No it won't

15. Calliers

Look, the chances of winning the jackpot are like a tonne less than being struck by lightening. Do you realize how "lucky" you have to be to be struck by lightening? I rest my case.

16. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I thought the chance of winning a lottery like this is smaller than getting hit by lightning on a clear day. :)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  17. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I had 2 tickets the 2nd time (couple weeks ago)

Not one number!!!!!!!

The lottery is a scam!!!!!! (A stupid tax)

18. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

If I understand the rules correctly, the likelyhood of you not hitting a single number any time you play is around 47%. So there's almost a 50:50 chance that you don't hit anything. Now, two tickets withuot a single number guessed in the same round, that is bad luck, unless you played the same numbers on both.

19. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

It's only a scam if no one ever wins. ;) Three people shared in that huge bounty. And, I've won enough over the years to keep me playing without it costing me too much. Also, here in our state, a big portion of the purchases goes for education. Since I don't own property, it makes it so I'm doing my part. So, in that way, yes, it's a tax. :D

20. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Well there are doubts there are some you tube videos that appear to prove the lotto draw was really recorded the day before,
    Then you have instances where their drawing and the numbers are up on the screen before drawn by the machine. Which
    opens all kinds of doors as far as what they could be doing. Also many foreign state run lotto's having the same "issues" or
    straight up getting caught.

The higher the pot, the more people play, the more people play the more money they make. The nearby gas station on the
    edge on the burbs to going into no wheres ville was doing $10,000 in lotto sales every few hours. I stood in a long line and
    everybody was buying tickets along with gas etc... when the pots low you don't see nothing like that. Some people think that
    they pick numbers and then air the set that no body hits. Then when the pot gets outrageous people eventually hit but isn't it
    funny it always seems those extra large jackpots get split between multiple winners. Some things just don't add up.

Before someone finally won like 95% of all possible numbers where in play (also fingering a lot people may of had the same
    sets of numbers) that is an absurd amount of tickets that got sold.

Then you have guys like the guy in Florida thats won 7 times, a woman that won, then won again almost exactly 1 year later.
    These things that are so statically improbable that they shouldn't happen. But they do....

Run by the state and illegal for anyone but the state because it so "profitable" and prone to corruption , but state for all intense
    purposes is run by politicians that are in the pockets big businesses, rich people, organisations who funnel money to them personally and
    their campaigns. They are swayed by those people to work in "thier" best interests. By definition most politician in our government
    are corrupt but its all done in tricky ways to try and avoid impropriety.

In short the lotto is run by the state, the state is mostly run by self serving corrupt politicians. It wouldn't surprise me if things where
    "fixed" or not always on the up and up when their is that much money involved.....