Happy Valentines Day!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

To those who have a wife, a girl friend, or a boy friend, Happy Valentines Day!

Me and my girlfriend we just get cards for each other or small gifts like video games. :) (yeah my chick loves gaming too, she's awesome!)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

cards...... i never understood them... something that was created and invented in the latter 50's and through the 60's not picking up until the 70's as a huge profitable market.... to which has been ever shrinking since the mid 2000's. Prior to those periods... it was individual hand written typically, letters that would be sent out and usually few in number due to mailing and costs involved.

I chuckle to myself every time someone comes in and pays the money they do for a card.... a card that will inevitably be overlooked... barely glanced at... or remotely cared about in any fashion before landing in the garbage. "But it's the thought that counts"... typical cop out, specially if the receiver is remotely aware of the absurdity of such a lazy effort. Spending money in such a fashion, many of which are anywhere between $10-20 dollars even without the stupid electronic voice that sings to whomever opens it in such a horrible cringe worthy tone.

The millions of pounds of flowers that will rot away... some of which will never make it to a vase or holding container, many of which will hit the trash can straight away.... and yet year after year, this will occur again this very same day.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I can't see why you have no gf.

4. Judas

Oh why's that? Cause I don't treat women like frivolous dainty fragile little snowflakes, and don't expect to be treated as such either?

In all honesty, being honest and actually treating the opposite gender on equal terms (truly) tends to displease plenty of women that i wouldn't have anything to do with anyways. I cannot believe there are zero women that aren't hypocrites.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

How does enjoying a little bit of attention make someone frivolous or fragile? As for equality, guys and girls like to be treated nicely in equal measures. :)

My girlfriend and I actually didn't see each other yesterday. We did have kind of a special occasion the day before, I made her this origami rose (together with the calyx, stem and pot, which are explained in other videos):

I coupled it with some Belgian pralines (Guylian seashells) that came in some really nice Valentine's day packaging. :)

Trusteft likes this.
  6. Trusteft

As I said, it's a great mystery.

7. Judas

I didn't say there was anything wrong with enjoying a little bit of attention....

8. Calliers

You know Judas, you contradict yourself at every turn. It's almost as if you always want to be right lol.

9. Judas

how did i contradict myself... i only stated what i wouldn't do.... which was apart from the rest.

10. IvanV

So, why that rant at the mention of cards, even if it's not your thing? You go out and pick a nice card, you express your feelings in your own words and you write them down in your own hand, in your own, unique, handwriting. What is that, if not showing someone a bit of attention?

11. Judas

because it's "schedules"... robotic.. and rarely genuine... Specially a day like valentines... or christmas.. or whatever. People are easily coerced into doing things... and so many just accept it like that's the way it should be...

One should NOT be expecting attention or gifts because of a day... that's absurd..... giving a gift or attention regardless of the day is far more genuine. Why anyone needs a day to tell them what they "should" be doing blows my mind, and for anyone to be expect special treatment is bizarre as well, specially usually in favor of women, many of which treat them like they are some kind of money sink black hole totally incapable of doing anything themselves OR treating their significant other to a surprise (granted this is slowly changing which is good.. .but it's beyond irritating observing as they demand to be treated to some kind of special occasion).

12. IvanV

Some points worth considering, but your original post was very much about cards and very little about anything else. And, sorry about the generalization, but most women care about dates. Like it or not, it's empirical data, and arguing with empirical data is pointless.

You also concentrate on the negatives, people that don't treat each other right and then 2-3 times a year ritually do something nice because that's what you're supposed to do on those dates, but I prefer look at it from a different perspective: when you like someone, any cause to do something nice is a good one. A fine example would be the fact that you simply feel like doing something nice for your significant other, that's your preferred cause and I too think it's great, no argument about it, but so is absolutely anything else, including some made up holiday like St Valentine's Day. :)

13. Judas

The card issue isn't specific to the valentines day... that goes for them all... birthdays... deaths... births.. whatever.

14. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

My gf broke up with me last weekend so no joy for me. Not that I've ever bothered with valentines day, it's something that's become popular here after I grew up.

15. Calliers

I'm sorry man. :(

16. Judas

I can't find the damn thing... but the statistical information pertaining to breakups occurring within a week of... or on the day of... and the week after valentines is for what i saw, an incredibly high rate. It's actually amusing seeing the "vengeful" breakups... some of them in the wrong, some of them in the right. What's not surprising at least to me, is the sheer number of women that typically end up cutting ties.. and it's also not a shock to see so many end up where it's shortly after a woman has received that which she was looking forward to receiving.... "because it's usually best to cut things off AFTER Christmas/birthdays/valentines day"...

17. Trusteft

It's because people have mixed up being horny with being in love and with the addition of removing logic out of the equation, it doesn't do wonders for relationships.

18. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Lupercalia - A Roman Holiday of sorts, celebrated the brothers of the wolf...appearing from time to time in Roman history, and ultimately in Shakespeare however it had long been replaced by the christian celebration that lingers to this day. Nobody wants to line up women to be struck to make them pregnant. ROFL...or.....