Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by drwho, Sep 21, 2009.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

I have a question about my son's computer. Last week my son got into some website that totally screwed his computer up. Since this computer was kinda old to begin with I took my daughter's old computer I had built her for college and used it for my son's new computer. Yesterday, after making some slight modifications to it I installed Vista on it and with all the updates and the programs he needed. And then looking at the hard drives later I realized I had installed everything on the 40 gig drive instead of the 80 gigs drive. The 40 gig drive is almost full already. So my question is, can I move everything from the 40 gig drive to the 80 gig drive without having to start all over? And what do I do when I make the transfer so the 80 gig drive will be recognized by the computer ?

2. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

I think you can make an image and transfer it to the other drive. You can maken an image with Acronis True Image for example . ;)

3. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Bolletje. :D

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I think you will save time to just reinstall it.

5. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

my thoughts too...

6. shaman9876

shaman9876 New Member

Most drive manufacturers have a free tool like diskwizard DiscWizard | Seagate (manual)
    http://www.seagate.com/support/discwizard/dw_ug.en.pdf for seagate and Maxtor, uses same tool, that allows you to transfer old drive to new one directly. Then change the settings in bios to boot from the 80 gig. I have done it many times. You just have to have one of their drives to do it. ie.. Seagate / Maxtor hard dive for diskwizard. Both drives don't have to be from same company for it to work. Western digital has the same type of software for their drives WD Support . I don't know about other brands I don't use them sorry.

7. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks Shaman, I'll look into that. :D

8. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

9. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

imna vote for the acronis disk image software as well as i've used that successfully before myself.

and i went from my full 74GB Raptor to a brand new 250GB HDD with direct disk copy from the raptor to the 250GB drive. nothing was lost and everything worked just like if the 74GB Raptor had never been removed from my system.

10. Simmie

Simmie New Member

try reinstalling,transfer will take longer

11. shaman9876

shaman9876 New Member

@simmie- I have transferred with the above products including Arconis and they take only 20-30 minutes to do it. A full re-install can take days depending on software. ie 40 min to install, 2-3 hours of updates depending how many you need not including any software installs. Don't forget data backup and recovery. It is not uncommon for a reinstall to take day's depending how much tweaking a person does. So transfering is always faster if you have the means.

12. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

/format + reinstall is the way to go here. It's a new install, so you won't lose any data really...

may I suggest upgrading drives before that? 120gb IDE's are cheap, and if the "old" computer uses SATA ... you can get a 640gb SATA for under 80$