Have £500 to upgrade ...suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

so I thinking new Mobo, Cpu , Memory and GFX

My current system is

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition 3.60Ghz (Socket AM3+)
    Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard
    AMD XFX HD 7970

I intend to keep my beige case and Power Supply (for now) and just replace the internals

I am a Big Fan of AMD CPU's but dont really mind the Mobo and GFX make ( I hear a lot about Ryzen but truthfully I am way way out of touch upgrade wise)

any suggestions ?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

so you've got roughly $625 US dollars.

Considering what you've got there, any upgrade would require you to swap the cpu/mainboard and ram. A ryzen build SHOULD fit within that budget but you'd likely be SOL on the graphics card upgrade as to make a worthwhile long running upgrade to ryzen would chew through that quickly unless you REALLY back down to the lower end of the ryzen spectrum which frankly doesn't make sense IMO.

Depending on what the Ryzen 3000 launch looks like, which occurs in roughly 2 and a half weeks from now. We do know that Ryzen 3600 (non X) should be a phenomenal price, combined with either a B450 board (for cost savings) or an x470 ... or if the pricing on a decent X570 board at launch, you'd only need to make the investment in a decent 3000-3200mhz minimum 2x8gb DDR4 kit. You'd see one hell of a jump in that regard.

The Navi based 5700 cards will launch around then too, but honestly they seem to be in direct competition with the rtx 2060 and 2070..... lower end models are due out later however. You might be able to find a cheap RX 570 somewhere though, they still are the king of the best price to performance ratio card on the market.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What are your needs?

Mr Cairo likes this.
  4. Mr Cairo

Basically a little video editing but my current setup does that ok so anything better will just be a bonus

Games and Bluray, My current set-up struggles with the latest Tomb Raider although it had no issues with the latest Metro ... just want a game performance boost if that's feasible

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I would love to help, but I have lost all contact with AMD hardware for years now. They are all Greek to me.

(I had to)

16GB would definitely possibly help. Video editing can be done with almost everything, it depends what files you deal with and what edits/corrections/etc. Also what software, and how many tracks and effects in general you use.
    If as you say your system is good for you, then...perhaps you can get away with just upgrading the RAM.
    I am a bit surprised you mention nothing about storage devices. If you go from mechanical to even SATA SSD, you can get a very nice boost in performance for a small (nowdays) amount of money.

What is your power supply? It's one of the things that people tend to cheap out and then regret it. If this system was built about 8 years ago, it too might have to go if you are going to go for an overall upgrade. Make sure to check that. Don't forget that PSUs do lose performance/capacity over the years.

I can't comment on Bluray because I watch all my blurays on my PS3/PS4. I HATE bluray handling in computers. I always have problems with them.
    Speaking of which, what software do you use for playing them?

Mr Cairo likes this.
  6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm not sure about the UK prices, but the following should fit the bill, both financially and in performance terms:
    • a 6 core Ryzen (a 2600, or 3600 (non X) if it is available)
    • 16GB of RAM; supposedly Ryzens like higher clocked RAM, though stuff over 3000MHz is usually not worth the extra money
    • for the motherboard, I'm not that current, but from previous experience I'd start with Gigabyte: usually, it's possible to find something around 100€ that fairly full-featured and will reliably produce a decent overclock (nothing record breaking, just enough to put that unlocked multiplier to good use)
    • a Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Like I mentioned, I don't know the UK prices, maybe I'm stretching things by some 10%, so some adjustments may be required. If that is the case, RX 570 is awesome value and a great 1080p card.

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Can't add anything really to the above suggestions other than to say to look for those deals, ones on combo promotions, and so on. If you intend to change the 4 main items: video card, CPU, RAM, and motherboard, that £500 is going to be tight.

For instance an AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G.Skill Trident DDR4, ASRock B450 PRO4 motherboard, and a Sapphire Pulse RX 570 4GB video card should cost you just shy of your target. Preferably I'd go with an 8GB cards as IvanV suggested, but that puts you above your target by £20-£50 including VAT.

So.. check everywhere for those combo deals.

8. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

^This.

I also can't add to what's already been said, except to only reaffirm it. I think what @IvanV laid out is what you should go for, in that budget. I was also going to recommend saving up but tbf you don't really need a crazy PC upgrade to get that performance boost over your aged system.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  9. Mr Cairo

Sorry Judas I missed this first time around, I will wait at least a month or so as you say a new gen Cpu should drop the price of the others ... Ryzen 3600 (non X) sounds intersting

RX 570 sounds good as well

Power Supply was a corsair 800 I kind of hope its still OK but if not would have to wait a month or so for an upgrade

Bluray on the PC is ok I use a generic Bluray drive and PowereDVD 18 ... I watch that on my second monitor as i work on the first its not the best way but its good enough

All sounds good ...

Would save more but this is all I can really spare I get made redundant in less than 2 weeks and this is my only treat out of teh redundancy, If I can find a job quickly I may have more but cannot really take that chance :)

Cheers guys

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  10. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

You can get a 2600 at Amazon for £125. Aria PC is v.slightly cheaper but I've had bad experiences with them so couldn't recommend.
    You can get 16GB, 3200MHz (16-18-18-38) of Corsair G.Skill (lmao) RAM from Amazon for £65 (Corsair 3000MHz (15-15-15-36) is £65 from eBay or £70 from Amazon).
    For cheap & cheerful there's a Gigabyte B450 DS3H for £61.35 on Amazon.
    That takes you up to £250-ish.
    So, you could get an MSI RX 580 for £170 from Amazon, a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ for £189 from Amazon or a Sapphire Vega 56 for £270 from Amazon, the last of which would take you a touch over budget.

I looked through deals to see if ebuyer, Scan, etc were cheaper. Amazon is really competitive nowadays.

11. Mr Cairo

Thanks for that matey that is a real big help :)

Would Rep you up if I could :)

Takaharu and Calliers like this.
  12. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

No worries :)

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

£425.76 after VAT and shipping. That's a good find, Tak.

Calliers, Takaharu and Mr Cairo like this.
  14. Mr Cairo

Very good find ... think I might push a little to £600 and slap a new PSU in there as well

15. IvanV

Your PSU is a beast, I would keep it. PSUs do age, but good ones age better than the crappy ones. Your new components won't be using any more power than the old ones (and nowhere near 800W), so my bet is on that bad boy continuing to power everything reliably without breaking a sweat.

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  16. Mr Cairo

Suppose Im just wondering about age it has to be getting on for 9+ years now and I wonder if it will have all the required connections (suppose they cannot have changed to much), It surprising how fast the internals change

17. IvanV

Hmm, connectors are a good question and are worth checking, but I think you should be fine. The biggest question is do you have the 8-pin 12V CPU connector (different from 8-pin PCIe connector). It's possible that the connector is modular (consists of two 4-pin parts).

I'm still rocking the SilverStone Strider 600W that I got from DH at about the same time. I've swapped almost all of the components in the meantime (mobo and RAM once, CPU twice, GPU three times, added another HDD...), it's still perfect. :)

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  18. Mr Cairo

ok so this is it

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

16 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 G.Skill RipJaws V Noir Series Memory Kit

Aorus B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI (Socket AM4/B450/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Mini-ITX)

MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB GDDR5 256-Bit Memory DVI/DP/HDMI PCI Express 3

So lets see how it goes

Trusteft, Calliers and IvanV like this.