have a little problem here

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dark Lord, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i just put together a new system for my parents, and ive ran into a problem i wasnt expecting.

it has 1 IDE port on the mobo, and i need to connect 2 ide HDs and an ide cd rom.

now, i can return the new HD i got and pick up a sata drive, and i can even pick up a sata dvd burner, but unless things have changed since i looked at this last, i still need to install the sata drivers some how before i can install windows.

i should also mention that while having 1 ide drive is just fine, that current one is full of stuff that needs to be backed up, and i cant format it until ive got the new system up and running so i can slave it to the new drive and burn the stuff that way.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Why would you get sata drives if the motherboard only has IDE?
    I don't follow.

3. Dark Lord

you missed something.

the mother board has 1 ide, and 6 sata.

i currently have 2 IDE HDs and an ide cd

4. Dark Lord

well ive got an idea thatll work.

ill hook up the HD and a standard cd rom and just leave the cd laying on the ground. install windows and sata drivers off that, pick up a sata dvd rom, then hook up the 2 hds with the ide cable.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I probably missed it because you never mentioned it.

Your plan sounds good, but, couldn't you just plug in the IDE hard drives in your system to copy the files?

But yes, your plan sounds much better. Good luck.

BTW, can't 1 IDE channel see 2 drives as long as one is set for master and one for slave?

6. Dark Lord

my sister got into some nasty crap and the drive is infested with some real nasty crap i cang get rid of, so i wouldnt ever put it on my system. shes just backing up pcitures she took so atleast the virus isnt in there.

7. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need to install drivers for sata drives for any modern OS, unless you're doing RAID.

I recently had a similar problem, with a mobo with 1 IDE slot, and 1 IDE drive + 1 IDE DVD-drive to install. However, the case layout didn't allow the cable to fit from the HD to the dvd drive, ended up getting around it by installing the HD onto 5.25" brackets.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If you want to be cheap (like $15-20 cheap) you could grab IDE to SATA converters to turn those IDE drives into SATA ones. Vantec has one that I've used, the CB-IS100, and it's worked with every drive I've attached it to. Another is one from Sabrent. Not too bad, however I've had issues with some real old IDE drives no working, or being recognized.