Have a machine with windows 8.x that didn't apply to the windows 10 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Judas, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

So.. i've had a few people rolling in with machines that didn't get upgraded to windows 10... NOR did they get upgrade notification due to running windows 8.0 instead of 8.1 still... In fact some of these machines have been completely offline (shut down or never connected to the internet) for the entire duration of the windows 10 option. Suffice it to say, when/if asked i basically told them that the free upgrade wasn't a viable option any longer without paying...

However due to a few circumstances.. i did a wipe/clean install of windows 10 build 1607 on one of the hp laptops which was running windows 8.0 and hadn't been connected to the internet for well... nearly 2 years...

Once the clean install finished and i was prepping to activate it with an oem key i had here, i found the machine was already activated.... "strange... how is that possible"

Maybe it was a fluke i figured.

So i grabbed one of the machine i know had windows 8.1 installed but we never online.. ever... genuine windows 8.1... the machine was UEFI as well so the key was part of the UEFI itself... The reason for this machine not being online has several reasons.. and the reason i had it on hand is because shortly after windows 10's free upgrade ran out... the person that was temporarily using it decided to finally buy a machine with the key phrase i'm used to being "It's been a year, microsoft has likely ironed out most of the bugs". So here i have temp machine with windows 8.1 without a single hint of anything windows 10 on it.. it didn't pre allocate a windows 10 key or whatever at all.. i know that for a fact.

I wiped the 8.1 os (didn't clear the key from uefi).... did a clean install of windows 10 builde 1607... and when it finished installing and i ventured into the activation area... "Windows is Activated" once again.

Well shit... 2 machines now back to back that i'm fairly 100% certain didn't apply for the free upgrade... and this is of course now quite some time AFTER the windows 10 free upgrade expired.

I just finished pulling another UEFI based Dell laptop from my 2nd hand stock that i received after the windows 10 upgrade free upgrade has expored time frame... the dell machine was initially a corporate business laptop that even has a passcode on the bios.... the machine was restricted to a windows 8.0 enviromentment with administrative windows updates fully disabled.... Since its been on my "to do list" and i wasn't looking forward to installing windows 8.0 then moving it to windows 8.1 since the bloody key issues exist with the transition (it won't activate properly without some loop jumping) i just hadn't considered it and most people want windows 10 anyways.

Suffice it to say, i know for a FACT this machine had zero windows 10 upgrade options.... I wipe the disk, popped in build 1607..... installed straight away and again it shows "activated".

I cannot test this with non UEFI systems... as i think there may be an issue due to having to manually punch in a product key which may effect this.... but i can't be sure... either way... this opens up the doors for those that declined outright to bother with the free upgrade...

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am lost. Can you cut this down to 1-2 short sentences? I am not kidding, I am not sure what you are asking.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

On UEFI systems, even though the Windows 10 free upgrade offer is officially over, you can still do the upgrade, and even a clean install of Windows 10, and it will activate just fine.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Were the first 2 branded machines, or clone builds?

5. Judas

the first was hp the second was a toshiba

the other machine of my own build was asus

6. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Fairly certain this is because last year Microsoft made it so Windows 10 can be activated with a Windows 7 or Windows 8 key. That functionality was not removed when the "upgrade" ran out.

IvanV likes this.
  7. Judas

Being able to "install" with the key..doesn't make it able to be upgraded..

I've still got plenty machines that WON'T take the upgrade/key to activate....

8. ep30rpg

ep30rpg Member

I upgraded some Win7 & Win8.1 PCs to Win10 v1511 in August 2016 after the free Win10 upgrade period ended (using DVD or USB win10 installation media) and Win10 automatically activated on those machines. Also note that these Win7/Win8.1 machines had OEM editions of Win7 or Win8.1, NOT retail editions. I NEVER do online/internet based Win10 upgrades; only upgrades thru a DVD or USB flash drive. And also note that I did NOT upgrade to the Win10 anniversary update release (aka v1607), which is the latest build of Windows 10.

Btw, only the Win8.1 based computer (a Toshiba laptop made in mid-2013) had UEFI while the Win7 PC (a Dell Inspiron desktop made in mid-2011) using traditional BIOS chip - both upgraded to Win10 an activated just fine with no problems.

IvanV likes this.
  9. ep30rpg

ep30rpg Member

10. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

you realise Jan 16th was 6 weeks ago ... whats the point ?

11. Judas

I should note.... atm.... i've still be able to upgrade windows 7 and 8 machines to 10 and the activation has been a success.... so as far as the "termination date" goes.... seems to be perhaps for specific circumstances i've yet to come across.