Heat

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I recently put the bookcases with my main console games and blueray movies to the one of two possible places.
    Unfortunately, while they are fine now, during the winter months the a/c unit which is positioned right across them, will blast them with hot air. The distance is about 3m. They are going to get quite warm, perhaps too much so? I don't know the exact temperature limits of optical discs, but no matter what it can't be that great for them, right?

The one thing I can do is place all those games and movies on the bookcases I have for my books. Books should handle the heat better....right?

2. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Yeah books should, they're just paper. As long as it's not enough temperature to burn the pages.

3. Trusteft

Well, it's an A/C, so I doubt it.
    Still, what about the ink? Or the glue?

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

This AC unit which is "also heat" Is that what is considered a "Heat Pump" or does it also have a gas burner furnace attached to it... If it's all electric, it's a heat pump.

The heat pumps, while they can keep your indoor temps reasonable/comfortable, don't blast out hot air like a furnace can. Even in the case of a gas furnace, unless you are misusing it I don't foresee a problem.

Calliers likes this.
  5. Trusteft

W...wait...what? Do you mean that over there they sell A/C units that do not also have a "heat" option? Here all A/C units can be used to either cool or warm a place.

They look like this. They usually go high on a wall.
    [​IMG]

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've never heard of an AC unit that spit out heat... There are usually either furnaces, fire places, or baseboard heaters along with air exchangers...of which some furnaces (via central air) can have an AC unit installed within to utilize the existing fans, or the air exchangers that have either or, or both..

Most people don't have A/C units necessarily outside of central air or using window/portable AC units, most sweat away in their houses/homes.

7. Trusteft

North America really is their own world lol.

8. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

That looks more like the Internal part of a Air Condition Unit.. (Never known a A/C) that produces heat...

Air con on the high wall usually have another unit that is usually on the outside of the building… They may be on a floor level, Maybe on a Flat roof or even supported on a wall.

2008-07-11_Air_conditioners_at_UNC-CH.jpg

It could possibly be incorrectly installed...

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Over here that's called a "Mini-Split" It's a small heat pump.

The difference between A/C and heat pump is the compressor in an A/C unit only works in one direction. A heat pump has a bi-directional compressor. Other than some tricky electronics to control the two different functions they are basically the same technology.

And, yes they do still sell A/C only units.

Back to your original concern... That unit won't create a heat blast that can harm your stuff.

10. Trusteft

...of course it's the internal part. why would I put up a photo of the external part? :p
    It's properly installed...
    all A/C units, at least for the few decades I am aware/own some, have both functions, cold/hot air.
    Never owned or used one which does only cold air.

11. Trusteft

The terminology you use is foreign to me.
    I say that because here the A/C is made up of two parts, the external and internal. No one that I know of calls the internal one a heat pump. I could see using that name if it only put hot air out, but it doesn't. I am not saying you are wrong about using that name, just that I never heard anyone calling it that way.
    Unless we are talking about some industrial A/C units, I have to admit I had no idea they sell cold air only A/C units for residential use.
    Live and learn!

I don't know if the heat produced will be enough to harm optical discs, but I am moving them out of the way just in case. The thing is, and I can't believe I didn't think of it till tonight, at even closer range there is the TV and the game consoles. You see where I am going with this. :(

Thank you all for your input.

12. Judas

well it's just the basic system of A/C.... if you remotely brought up heating with an A/C unit... in north america at least, people would think you're outright out to lunch.

A/C units consisting of condenser and an evaporator, of which the condenser gets bloody hot and is the unit outside of the building which was never intended to be inside the building, then the other evaporator that is inside the building.

The concept of "reversing" it so that the evaporator ends up being an condenser and the the condenser as the evaporator in order to spit heat into the home is by far the most inefficiently silly thing i've ever heard of... I wouldn't be shocked if places did try to save space but implementing some additional electronics and valving in order to make a A/C unit spit out heat... but it wouldn't work very well if at all here as you'd essentially be trying to cooling down an already cool environment and if it's freezing, well that isn't going to work too shit hot at all (efficiency wise).

No we have electric baseboard heaters, furnaces, natural gas or propane and a few people still have oil/diesel as well as wood burning furnaces/stoves (though the latter 3 have been basically booted to the curb for numerous reasons). Some large places tend to rely on big boilers via pumped hot fluid through radiant heaters.

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Portable units have everything in one unit. Heat is spit out a tube through a vent a window, or permanent vent in the wall. The one Trusteft pictured is similar in construction, but is meant to be affixed permanently. Space saving design if you will.

And, btw, portable units can have heat options. Not all, but some. Usually they have 3 settings: air conditioner, dehumidifier, heat. Mine does, in fact, although I never use it for that purpose (never tried).

14. Judas

I've a dedicated humidifier.

Portal AC units are usually absolutely horrible... specially those with a single hose.... like i said grossly inefficient. The very least for portable ones, is those with twin hoses, that way it draws outside air in, forces it through the condenser and then blows that now ultra hot air out through the other hose. This prevents a vacumm from occuring within the room/house sucking cooler air from inside and spitting it out of the house.

AC units naturally dehumidify to a degree, however dedicated dehumidifiers through a similar process which obvious produces a fair bit of heat which dries things out due to forcing it to become a vapour and then drawing it out of the air.

Utilizing the proper tool for the job, it's rare to see dehumidifiers in use outside of specific building faults or critical failures/storm destruction, such as wind tearing the shingles off a roof resulting in water coming through and saturating the house.

15. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Sorry, Ignore my post above.. I actually do not recall posting it.. :oops:

Trusteft likes this.
  16. Trusteft

So, how is everyone doing?

17. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Well considering this thread is titled heat, it snowed right on the first day of this month, at the freaking beginning of fall (although here our winters are usually in full swing past the 1st of November) but we're already in winter, came early this year so yeah, it's gonna be chilly for a while.

Trusteft likes this.