Help me find the right driver for this

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Mechyfox, May 23, 2014.

1. Mechyfox

Mechyfox New Member

I have this annoying problem with my annoying old laptop, and cant find the right graphics driver for it.
    I use a near 10 year old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1536 with ATI mobility radeon x1400, and I cant find the right driver for it under Windows 7 x32. I have tried many sites, many drivers, the ATI/AMD site doesnt list it at all, and installers I found usually shoved the "not compatible with your OS" error in my face.

My screen looks stretched, something not really useful for someone who uses a laptop to make digital art. (I know, I should upgrade to a better PC, but I'm poor).

So here's my problem, provided with all the info, hope you guys can help me out here. Thank you very much in advance.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

3. Mechyfox

Mechyfox New Member

And I get a response from a brony, bro-hoof, my friend, love your Rainbow Dash avi :D
    so, my question is, do I install this drive according to the insturctions that comes with the mobility modder (cancel installation after extracting)?

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Yes you would in a round about way.... give it a try...

You may however have to go into the device manager, right click the display adapter that is likely showing up as "standard VGA" and select update.. then do a manual driver update, use "have disk" and then navigate to the extracted location which is typically under C:\AMD\SUpport\........... locate the driver folder which will contain the windows 7 32bit inf file (there may be 3 driver files... you might have to check each one manually and find the one that is x86 using nt6.1), select the file, navigate down the list of drivers it likely will list (uncheck the hide supported hardware if it lists none) and then find the x1300 series, force install it.. and cross your fingers.

The x1300/1400 series use the EXACT same chip, the only difference is that the x1400 has higher rated operating frequencies.. which isn't a concern as right now you are just looking to resolve more important issues. The frequency will also likely be controlled by the hardware anyways so it'll likely ignore the driver specific settings in those cases.

It's a bit of a stretch but it should work.

5. Mechyfox

Mechyfox New Member

I didnt need to do all that, the link you provided was perfect and enough to solve my problems. Thank you a billion times :D