HELP!! RAM HELP!!! [56k warning]

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by mos2k, Apr 19, 2008.

1. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Ok as I won the Crucial Memory contest on DH and got a 2x1GB ddr2 1066 KIT whose specification says it runs natively at 5-5-5-15 while mine runs at 1066 on MSI P35 Neo2-FR howere its

FSB: DRAM 5:8 and is running at 5-7-7-24

And another thing why does CPU-Z detect the ram modules as pc-6400 while they are PC-8500 modules??

Pics of CPU-Z

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

okea when i try to manually try to the set the latencies in the Cell menu of the Bios the Computer doesnt boot and i have push the CMOS clear button to clear the settings and then the computer boots ...

Please help

2. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

you have to set the value in your BIOS for 5-5-5-15 and make sure the voltage is set to to the proper value. (2.2 volts I believe is what the Crucial asks for) As far as I know the use of an enhanced performance profile allows the ram to run at that speed (1066)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i believe he already tried that...

did you feed them more volts? you need something around 2.2v

if that doesnt work, update the BIOS

if that dont work, see if you can get a replacement from crucial.

4. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Do you reckon it to be a mobo problem? or is it the modules only?? How can i get a replacement from crucial if its the memory modules I mean they were won not bought ?

5. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Set this in BIOS

5-5-5-15 (if you have sub timings, leave them all on AUTO)
    Set DRAM Voltage 2.1-2.2v
    Increase your vNorthBridge to 1.40-1.45v

My guess is your Northbridge needs more voltage than what your giving it now to do lower latencies with the RAM. Take it off auto and manually set it.

6. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

I am able to boot by reducing the ram speed to 833 and 5-5-5-15 at 2T but if i further increase the speed the system doesnt boot.! i'll try what you said abt northbridge and let you know.

7. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Nope no result.. the system wont boot even with Northbridge at 1.4 or 1.45V with those timings and latecies..argh..!

8. ChaosMinionX

EDIT: Download http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet.exe (please dont touch anything in it when you open it, could damage something so just open it and take a SS and close it) and post a screenshot with the default system settings you have now from your previous screenshots.

And I will get a better idea of what the board is doing. (but still do the following after you download this and post a screenshot)

===================================================================
    Does that board have DRAM Static Read? If so set that to disabled.

Also upon reading up on this board some..... I am going to say right now its probably a tRD problem, the board seems to set tRD determined by the FSB frequency, and divider being used on the RAM. So.... Try this.

I am going to assume that 333x9 3.0ghz and setting RAM to 5:8 is either 200 or 266mhz strap on the North Bridge. Now thats probably setting a tRD of 5 considering what I have read, to boot 5-5-5-15 2.2v you will probably need to work from the 1:1, 2:3, 3:4 ratios in order to get tRD to relax and goto 6 which will probably boot your board into windows. (unless there is an option in BIOS for control of tRD/Performance Level)

SETTINGS-------------------

NB Voltage - 1.40-1.45v
    VTT - 1.30v

Ok lets try this as well, set CPU voltage to 1.175-1.2v and lets set FSB to 400mhz, using 8x multi. Your chip will now be running at 3200mhz (3.2ghz) and set your RAM to DDR2 1000 5-5-5-15 2.1-2.2v. (2.2v isnt absolutely needed if your board is stable at lower voltages, but you need to test it for absolute stability. The loss of 66mhz on RAM you wont notice as well)

Tell me if that POSTs, because now your going to have to play with FSB/RAM Divider combinations closest to your stock settings (if thats what you want to keep) to get tRD (performance level) to cooperate with us.

If this happens to be the case, I would invest in new CPU cooler....something with a little more surface area and cooling capacity :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  9. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Here's the Screenshot in Default settings.

[​IMG]

And the Computer wont post at the settings you provided

NB Voltage 1.40-1.45v
    VTT 1.30v
    FSB 400
    Multi 8x
    RAM 1000 5-5-5-15

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  10. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Try running 1 module at a time. This will point to the bad module if such is the case.

11. ChaosMinionX

Its setting tRD of 7 (which should POST, thats not terribly tight).... so now I would try the default settings and see if it will post with trying 1 stick at a time.

12. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Agreed, i never thought of a bad module actually, try em 1 at a time. Have you run memtest86?
    And zomg you were chattin to meh :D lol

13. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

the "Memory" tab shows the current DRAM Frequency and timings.
    the "SPD" tab shows the Module(s) specification using SPD (Serial Presence Detect) : vendor, serial number, timings table.