help to stop prompts and read only files in win 8

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

ok two (hopefully) easy things to resolve

First one is Win 8 is essentially making most of my rar and avi files read only and I keep having to right click and untick read only ... considering I am an admin on my own computer is there a way to stop this ?

Second the prompt that keeps popping up by the charms menu to tell me that windows has new programs that can open files ... for instance I have set winamp to open all mp3 files but once a week or so when i open an mp3 the prompt that there is other software that will play this appears

is there a way to stop that as well

small minor annoyances but they are annoyances and I would love some options

cheers guys

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I cannot reproduce this issues.

1:

The Read only thing is most definitely not a windows 8 feature/function, that is clearly a glitch introduced by something which I have no idea. I'd lean on it being a 3rd party app doing it, no way a default windows 8 install would cause that.

2:

During the installation of a program that windows 8 could already open .. (such as a new browser like firefox, or winamp or vlc... or adobe pdf reader), is the moment it notifies me about such an app.. and it only triggers BRIEFLY once and never re-appears.

Personally both those issues are a little more than minor... they would make me quite irritated and for me knowing that windows 8 has never done either of those things on about 50+ machines I've work with both my own installs as well as 3rd party laptops/desktops/etc, makes me think malware or a bad program doing bad things.

3. Mr Cairo

Cheers for the reply Judas and like you I have no idea whats causing this its a clean Win 8 install and all the apps im using are the same as the ones I used win 7 (barring a few small software updates for stuff like avast)

My pc is clean of any malware and I am generally tech enough to figure this out but these 2 things keep happening

If i download a winrar with 8 pdf files in it and try to delete one I get the read only prompt if i try to edit a video with MM2 i get the same

The charms prompt I cannot sort out but its very random I am going to start making a note of when it happens to see if I can track it down to a specific time of teh week

cheers though

EDIT >> one other thing I noticed is I cannot now connect to the marketplace it just sits there on connecting and none of the googleing I have done has provided a solution that works ... is it all connected TBH I dont know :)

4. Judas

that almost sounds like you have the windows 8 preview or none completed build.

People with the non final builds have marketplace issues.

That or it was a BAD install.

5. Mr Cairo

Its is the previw build and I just realised that I was so used to using it it never crossed my mind and of course the official release cant be installed over the top so its a good thing the win 8 install is pretty fast

cheers Judas it really would never have occurred to me

sorted out the charms prompt thing it was so blindingly obvious i am frankly to ashamed to say what it was :)

6. Judas

maybe that resolved the other issues to moving to an official build?

7. Mr Cairo

hopefully it will I wont be doing a fresh install until the weekend just came out of hospital after more knee surgery and cant sit at the computer long enough to put the time in

the prompt was popping up because I had forgotten to set the autoplay settings once I did those they disappeared

hopefully after a fresh install and a clean new 8.1 download the read only thing will go as well

8. Mr Cairo

Ok hopefully this is an easy one

So finally got around to a full reinstall and now have only one small problem I am on Win 8.1 and use Office 2007's outlook for my email ... whenever I used to format the PC I would basically do this to save my emails

open up outlook
    highlight all the email in my inbox drag and drop them onto a USB stick
    format windows
    Fresh install windows
    Reinstall outlook
    configure my email account
    Drag and drop the emails from the USB stick back into the inbox

I have done this loads of times and it has always left me with the emails back in my Inbox and showing the original senders name and date they were sent .... Always

but this time with 8.1 I cannot do that I get this instead

[​IMG]

the senders are all my name and the dates have all changed and every email is now ending with the .msg extension but new messages do not have this , this has never happened before its always been an easy process for me

does anyone have any idea why or any idea on how to import my old emails with original senders name and date ??

Thanks

btw if i open up the email on the USB stick it shows the original senders name and date ....