Help with Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

( i did just post this in another old thread of mine then realised that the title of that thread might stoop people popping in with ideas so please excuse the double post)

Ok hopefully this is an easy one

So finally got around to a full reinstall and now have only one small problem I am on Win 8.1 and use Office 2007's outlook for my email ... whenever I used to format the PC I would basically do this to save my emails

open up outlook
    highlight all the email in my inbox drag and drop them onto a USB stick
    format windows
    Fresh install windows
    Reinstall outlook
    configure my email account
    Drag and drop the emails from the USB stick back into the inbox

I have done this loads of times and it has always left me with the emails back in my Inbox and showing the original senders name and date they were sent .... Always

but this time with 8.1 I cannot do that I get this instead

[​IMG]

the senders are all my name and the dates have all changed and every email is now ending with the .msg extension but new messages do not have this , this has never happened before its always been an easy process for me

does anyone have any idea why or any idea on how to import my old emails with original senders name and date ??

Thanks

btw if i open up the email on the USB stick it shows the original senders name and date ....

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the previous times you've done it... I have no idea how you managed to do that... but.... I've NEVER seen it work the way you had been doing it.

This is among the number of a reasons why I hate client side email systems. I can't wait till they are made entirely obsolete.

What I usually would do is use the export function for your account, your contacts and of course the messages.... that's how it was intended to work.

You MIGHT be able to use the import function for messages but outlook has never been friendly, the only Microsoft email program I've managed to get working right is Windows Live Mail.. and it still occasionally -_-s up.

Sorry don't really have any suggests. I've been setting people up with Hotmail/gmail accounts and then if they REALLY want to keep their original ISP provides garbage email system, I setup that within the Hotmail/gmail. Gives them COMPLETELY worryless operation and 100% access around the world, plus no quibbles over what device has access to it and no imap bullshit breaking down.

3. Mr Cairo

Yeah one of those things I tried once it worked so I have done it that way ever since ... this seems to be something thats changed in 8.1 as theis was fine ix Win 7 and Win 8 but yesterday was a fresh install of 8.1 and now it wont work

Tried the import but its more interested in pst files and not the ones I have

cheers though ... im sure theres a setting somewhere in 8.1 and I will no doubt find it the week after I upgrade to windows 9 :)

4. Judas

well it shouldn't matter on the OS.. I've never seen an OS change the way a program like that works..

It could have been the program itself... maybe certain updates either weren't applied?

It's really bizarre

5. Mr Cairo

just tried an import on my wifes office on win 7 and it works just fine

have uninstalled and reinstalled office on my win 8.1 and tried to copy them over before and after updating the office and no joy ... everything bar the os is the same as its always been and like i said i must have done this 30 or 40 times over the past 10 years

it is as you say Bizarre

6. Judas

outlook may be using external components that are part of the OS.. and windows 8 no longer handles those specific components in the same way most likely?

have you tried to export and import yet?

Mr Cairo likes this.
  7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Ever since Outlook 2003 I usually just backup the main PST file (and any others), install Office on the new machine, start it up (thereby creating a new main PST file), closing Office, and overwriting the new PST file with the old one making sure to maintain the name of the new file.

Or if it's finicky, instead of overwriting the new PST file I just add the old one via File | Data File Management | Data Files tab | Add | Office Outlook Personal PST, then just transfer the emails from the one PST file over to the new one. The latter option is a little better as you avoid any issues with programs or add-ons that are tied to the old PST file getting in the way of Outlook trying to use it as the "new" PST file. In fact, since you've tried it on your wife's Outlook (and if your emails are in her PST file), you could simply copy her PST file over to your machine, and follow this option to move your emails out of her PST file into your new one.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  8. Mr Cairo

I think that it might be down to some change in the wy things are handled and basic imort and export did not work but ....

.... this worked a treat

So what have I learned today , well simply put there is an easier way to do things that the way I have done things for years so from now on a weekly backup of the PST file will be the order of the day

Judas and Tipstaff thank you very much for your help as always very much appreciated :)

+rep