Here's a first

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, May 1, 2018.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Windows 8.1 laptop.

Temps all normal.

I was playing a game (wot) and suddenly I got the windows' screen "shutting down now" or something. I switch it on and nothing happens. I wait for 30 sec and I get no screens, nothing. We are talking about a system which loads (cold boot not that other bs) windows in 15 seconds or something.
    While the keyboard's lights and usb devices power up, laptop's lights switch on, nothing shows on the screen, like there is no signal.
    I switch it off and wait a couple of minutes. Try again, same result.
    Two more times, same.

Last time I try it and decide to wait even more. After perhaps over a minute, I get some action and windows start loading.

I get into windows, copy some files I hadn't copied and decide to do some small tests. First I check again if the temps were normal, they were. I then check for malware etc, nothing. But I notice the no wireless connection icon appearing next to the clock. I find it weird as I use wired connection.
    I don't know if it is out of being rusty or what, but I can't find anything that shows that I have a wired connection. I decide to turn on wireless and I get internet this way. I switched off the router, same result.

WTF just happened?

Device manager doesn't show any error messages.

Why did it shut down?
    Why did it refuse to load?
    Why don't I have wired connection any more?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I checked windows update and the only update I had was for the defender definitions.
    I did that and decided to restart the system.
    Before I switched off I manually switched off wireless connection.
    Rebooted.
    Reboot took the normal amount of time and after I logged in, the wired connection icon appeared.
    I checked the device manager and where I had just the wireless card, now I have a wired one too.
    That's just weird.
    Not that I have it, but that I didn't have it before and that it appears in...German.
    "Controller der Familie Realtek PCIe GBE"
    Right up from the wireless one
    "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160"

3. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

You know what your computer needs?

Windows 10.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there are a number of windows 7 and newer updates that have been completely buggering with network connections both wireless and wired... in fact i've a laptop here from HP that won't connect via wireless but will via wired.. the wireless has completely disappeared short of the device being listed and showing working properly in the device manager..

What seems to be common among the say 15 or so computers with similar symptoms... either wirelss or wired not showing up at all, or both... is that they all share an intel cpu, and seems to occured shortly after additional security patches were introduced for the machines. But it does seem very prevailent on windows 7.. i've only 2 machines with windows 8.x that ran into the the problem.. and so far none on windows 10.

Trusteft likes this.