How did you find out about HH/DH when you joined?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Lets take a walk down memory lane shall we. Well, I found out about this site when I was looking for a way to BIOS Flash my ATi Radeon 9500 non pro into a pro which I was successful in doing thanks to the help and advice I got from peeps on here. At the time this place was buzzing, there was a post made every one second, we were on vbulletin, Z was around, it was truly a different time then. Even though I still do love this place and it is truly my home on the internet and the first site I check when I turn on my computer, I miss those days back in '04 when things were different and ultra busy.

Some of the highlights of my being on this site are when I won a Core i7 Processor way back when (then sold it to Judas because at the time I couldn't afford to build a PC lol), when I won a cap and key chain in another competition (and I couldn't believe that I was one of the runners up in that competition because I never thought I'd win again), when Stuart sent me a video card for my little sister's new build and of course the two times I was made a gold member, I had gold membership for quite a long time and then lost it due to inactivity and then was given gold membership again thereafter. I also had a silver medal (for donating back when you could still do that) which I cherished for donating 20 dollars to the site (but as I was living in Botswana at the time I sent Z a crisp 100 Pula bill and he was like I'm going to add this to my collection of money I get from around the world, I'm not even cashing it/changing it into our currency here hehe).

So how did you find out about the site and what were some of your special moments in your time here on HH?

Also since this is a thread about the past, I'll give you all of my former handles. I originally joined as sun_walka (which is what I was called in High School, sometimes it was Walker Texas Ranger instead) as some of the older members will recall, but I've since then been called Callandor and Blueagle which are two of the nicks I use in video games although now I've tried to make it Calliers all across the board since no one ever seems to have that one yet. Calliers is a variation of my favorite chocolate manufacturer, Cailler of Switzerland.

[​IMG]

Edit: btw for those of you that joined after the site change (to Xenforo from VBulletien) the site was originally called Driver Heaven instead of Hardware Heaven as it is today as our focus has shifted significantly from drivers to hardware nowadays.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Omegadrivers brought me here. Looking for drivers for my mobility radeon 7500m with its 64MB of memory.
    Card which when released in 2002 IIRC it was the most powerful mobile gpu yet.
    I still have the laptop.
    Since then...well, I'm here. :)

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Same reason, different card, opposite outcome.

I was running a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 at the time (a Leadtek Winfast Ultra TD 250), and I was looking for any tweaks or mods I could use. Found this place, and that led me to Angel and his Omega drivers.

4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

I cant remember the specific but like most I wanted to find a solution to something and ended up here

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

If memory serves I joined to enter a competition. I think the competition was advertised on another site.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I came here for the KX driver forums....

Never could find the door to get out of here though.

7. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

As others have said, I needed help with something and ended up here. Truthfully, this is the place I've gotten the most help or ideas as well as done my best to help others. Been on a few other boards but this is the one I've always returned to after I got here.

8. Calliers

It seems most of us first joined to receive help on something, but then ended up staying, interesting.

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Was using a Kyro II (Hercules 4500) PowerVR and was a member of one of the primary PowerVR sites.... one member of which was part of the staff that built hardwareheaven, though didn't really seem to stick around long here... When hardware heaven was finally live and available to the public... i was among one of the first people here to sign up as a member and didn't become really active until later on down the road as everyone from countless other websites, it was rather total chaos, and rather amusing to watch as the professional flamers from around the globe picked targets (specially when they found out where they came from, if they were from another forum/site that was one that they despised, it was on). Most of that was left to the flame warzone..... but the drama that occurred here over the years, specially among the staff was quite interesting.

10. Calliers

Shit hit the fan when IEMC asked Z if he had sold HH out after we had the Yo Yo Tech forum on here, I remember that all too well.

I spoke to IEMC and he told me he was joking but Z didn't take it too well lol.

Remember sinbinned members like dajewsihhornet? His name was in pink!

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My first GPU upgrade on a PC was Stealth 3D something or other. But, it wasn't long before I discovered the ATI All-in-Wonder 8 MB video card. And, as I had joined Rage3D first, it was digitalwonderer who directed me here for the Omegadrivers. I've been here ever since.

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

just surfing for Omegadrivers....yep...long long ago

13. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I searched and found my first post. As I thought I needed help with something and found this place. I had problems with ATI drivers messing up clone to my TV locking me at a lower resolution that I wanted. After reading the post I actually remember the frustration I felt back then. :)

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

If anyone remembers Allan Campbell he is alive and kicking.

15. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Who's Allan Campbell?

Oh right. This guy:

[​IMG]

Trusteft likes this.
  16. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I have yet to watch this movie. Or I have and forgot it on purpose.

17. Calliers

That's good to hear that Z is still alive and kicking. :)

18. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Considering how I signed up almost 13 years ago, I can't find my first posts (if there were any!)... and I certainly can't remember what brought me here. Must have been a driver, but not really sure

QB

19. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Under your Profile there is the date you joined /Messages etc etc. Click messages and it will come up with all you posts.

Post 136 in this thread..

20. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Yes I saw that... but I highly doubt that was the very first activity I did. I don't think we needed to sign up just to lurk and read. I usually only sign up for a site if I need to post something. And if it is indeed 9 years of lurking... that must be a new world record :p

QB

Dyre Straits likes this.