How do I use a proxy in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Astralogic, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Astralogic

Astralogic New Member

In IE I click Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings then I untick Automatically Detect Settings and I untick Use Automatic Configuration Script.

I then tick Use Proxy, paste in the IP and port, click OK, but when I go back and check Automatically Detect Settings is ticked again and Use Proxy is unticked.

Why does it do this? How can I force Windows to use a proxy?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I just did this and it's fine.... if it's forcefully reseting then a 3rd party program is controlling the settings for you..... and I've seen this done by Toshiba and numerous other manufacturers that think they know best what you need. It also has occurred when using various security/anti-virus software, as some bugs like to change things around and force a proxy on you without your knowledge allowing them to very easily scrape secure information while you surf.

3. Astralogic

Astralogic New Member

Hehe, it's Hola Unblocker doing it, it needs to be exitted fully, not just disabled :)

4. Chill80

Chill80 New Member

Don't you have to restart before it takes effect?

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

only the browser usually.. but generally no you don't need to reboot

6. ChristianC123

ChristianC123 New Member

he Windows 10 Proxy section is exactly like Windows 8's Proxy section, which you can get to by going to PC Settings > Network > Proxy. Here, you can use an automatic proxy or you can manually set up your proxy by entering in the IP address (domain name) and port of your proxy server. Using a proxy server lets you do a variety of things, such as hiding your IP address or accessing websites that aren't available in your country.

Regards,
    Christian