How Do You Pay Your Way?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dyre Straits, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

This is likely...and may be...too personal of a question for some. But, my curiosity has been peaked as to how each of us come by the funds we use to get our computers/gaming devices/games/movies...etc., etc., etc. So, no one need feel compelled to answer in any specific way.

As for myself, for over 20 years beginning in 1984, I made my living doing home/business remodeling and repairs. I'd probably still be doing it except that I was becoming too overwhelmed with requests...and even demands...from customers wanting ME to do everything myself or to at least be 'on the job' everyday with those I hired to work with and for me. That was simply an impossibility.

So, in 2004, I went to work for Pizza Hut making deliveries. I actually enjoyed the job, made good tips...most of the time...and enjoyed meeting new people and going home with some cash in my pocket every night. And, this, too, I'd probably still be doing except that, three years ago the chain decided that no one should work more than 29 hours per week. This was to avoid having to pay insurance, vacations, and any other benefits that would normally go to "full time workers."

So, three years ago this coming November, I applied for a job at the local Honda dealership. At first I was hired as a valet on the service drive. This involved simply parking customers cars and then retrieving them for the customer once the service was completed. There were other things that I was asked to do as well. The dealership provides a shuttle service that provides transportation for customers up to 10 miles from the dealership. Customers could be taken home, to work, to school, or even to do some shopping nearby while their vehicle was being serviced. I drove the shuttle on an 'as needed' basis. This position lasted about 10 months.

Two years ago this month, I was transferred to and promoted to Master Porter. This position mainly involves checking in the new vehicles as they arrive and keeping the sales lot organized. But, there are many other things that it involves on an "as needed" basis. Such as, delivering and/or picking up vehicles. (In some cases, as far as 150+ miles in one direction.)

I do work full-time, M-F, and every other Saturday for 4-5 hours. There has never been any complaint from management about any of the overtime pay I have gotten.

Also, at present, I get 80 hours vacation and 40 hours sick leave per year. After another year, I believe the vacation pay will add another 40 hours per year.

Additionally, a 401-K program is in place and I'm participating in that.

The job is fairly easy, I have a golf cart to drive around since the sales lot, and overstock area, is quite vast...although I do walk when I get an opportunity. :)

It's also a nice side benefit that I live only 5 miles from where I'm presently working. So, my commute to and from work is usually only a 15 minute drive.

Although I'm old enough to have retired, I'm also quite happy with a regular schedule to keep me from getting rusty...and probably really cranky in my old age. ;)

And, retirement income would probably have to go mostly to day-to-day necessities. This job allows me to spend some money on things I enjoy doing....eating out all the time, video games and related items, photography related things....etc.

So...again, no one need be anywhere near as specific as what I've been....or even answer at all.

But, essentially, how to you make your living?

Trusteft likes this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I'm rusty.... and really cranky.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Basically from during school I had a Paper round just for a little pocket money, Then after leaving school I went into a Youth Training Scheme (Basically paid very little) on a Painting & Decorating course for two years.. Got a job at a firm (Which I hated) for two years. Lost the job as being layed off.. (May of worked out better in the long run) as the firm closed and went into Bankruptcy for the third time what I know of at the time about 6 months or so later.

Then it went as so.

Well for myself I have been a Window Cleaner working for my brother in law.. All for a set daily pay. Which mostly paid my bills...

Partly due the fact that also meant I am also Self-Employed which is fine while im out working I get paid. There are downsides of self employment.

Any of these means I don't get paid. or loose money on.
    A) Bad Weather
    B) Illness or Injury to myself
    C) Damage to either Property or Injury to a third party (I do have insurance to cover me on these)
    D) No Holiday pay

Basically anything that could stop me working means I loose money..

I am at the age that I needed more money incoming so the only option were to split and go it alone. Or Buy 50% of the window cleaning round off my brother in law.. Which I done last august..

Also most of my rounds are within 5 miles radius from where I currently live.. With a small amount within ten miles...

Dyre Straits likes this.
  4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Usual stuff during school time helped out on local Milkround and had a paper round

Was unsure of route through life but my Brother was a Chef in the Airforce and I thought that sounded great

Went to Local College at 16 to train up but also worked as Kitchen Porter (fetch this , peel that, wash this Lowest of low) in a local Hotel

Also helped out working as a waiter that led to Barwork as well ... money was pretty decent as I was still working 2 jobs (Kitchen and restaurant)

Hotel went up for sale new owners asked me to stay on as under manager that led to17 years working at that hotel, I eventually became the Full Manager responsible for all the staff, rotas, Pay , meet and greet with guests etc

One day on the Bar this lovely young girl took a job there ... ended up getting Married to her ... last week we celebrated 22 years of Marrige but have been together (30 years)

2 years into my time as Manager our Second Chef left, I promoted my Under manager to Manager and took the Second Chef Job (I had continued to work 2 days a week as a chef for all that time so I was still current with my trade)

4 years later I was Head Chef and continued to work there for another 9 years

Average weekend I would cater for 2 weddings *(Hot meal daytime cold served buffet nighttime) , 1 wedding upstairs in larger suite for about 90 guests daytime 200+ nightime then 2nd Downstairs with 50 daytime and 120 average at night

Christmas meals started in middle of Nov and Ended middle of January .. Average was 90 upstairs and 60 downstairs every day for 2 Months .... hard work and I loved it

In 91 (Years previous) I had been involved in a crash and busted my knee badly ... working in the kitchen full time aggravated that and I eventually had to give up the Hospitality trade

I got a job working for Virgin Media in 2001 at a call centre basically sorting out the lauch of Virgin Free Internet (Back then it was NTL

Stayed there until this year and was made redundant in June when they closed the Centre laying 700 of us off

Not found anything new but my son finished college 2 months ago so I have taken some gardening leave and helped him find work, He had 1 interview as an Junior at a solicitors and 2 hours later they phoned to offer him the job so hes set

Just need to find something for myself now ...

Dyre Straits likes this.
  5. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Since my current source of income involves my health I can not say what it is.

Before I was a sales man, and before that I was a senior technician at Futureshop (when it was still called Futurehsop, now Best Buy bought them out and renamed and rebranded all the stores, come to think of it I think they owned the chain even before that). Prior to that I worked as a merchandiser at a big furniture store.

Before that I was a door to door cable, internet and phone contractor/salesman, and then before that I worked at at a sort of computer place that did maintenance on everything from bank ATMs to mainframes. I did what I could there, and then before that my very first job was as a technician at an internet cafe/computer store.

I studied 1 year of Bachelor of Science at the University of Botswana before dropping out, then 2 years of professional programming (diploma) which I completed at NIIT still in Botswana, then came back to Canada and did 1 year of Bachelor of Arts and Science before dropping out again.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

most of my spare spending money for non-essentials (anything other than food basically) comes from betting tbh
    I like playing the horses.
    it’s a hobby :)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  7. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I would never gamble IRL, I do gamble in GTA V Online, but that's fake money and hey, I've only lost about 100k, which is not much when you count millions in GTA V, not that its really easy to get 100k, just that its not much in the big picture.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

started with baking at age 10.. make good coin for a time, i'd say maybe a year as i typically baked and cooked up stuff up every sunday (by myself) and then plenty of it would get cut up and hauled onto the bus and i'd try and sell it at school by the squares. Initially was made fun off and had no sales, but eventually a few people snagged a few and within a short time i was moving almost all of what i made.

This was abruptly ended when my parents discovered and started scraping about 80% of the income to pay for the ingredients used, which makes complete sense but was pretty huge hit to what i figured was already a rather slim amount of profitability. I can't say it really ended, just significantly reduced the time frame in which i would bother doing it, still baked cakes and shit on sunday.

Age 12-13 was when i started basically my own computer business, though not really a business, since i offered to do a lot of the work for completely free but would only charge a price for actual parts for obvious reasons and let them keep the receipt. It was quite difficult to get any work to begin with short of offering to do it for free to get a kind of start, and slowly i did get a hand and work more and more so over time until i was 15 and started building computers gradually as well.

when i graduated from high school, 4 days later i was moved into my own place in the city paying rent, within the time frame during those years, work options were rather limited and having walked an entire street area because i hadn't sufficient funds to keep my car registered, i dropped off resumes at every place along the way, watching as some of them took it, and put them directly into the garbage immediately. None of the computer electronic stores would take me and i did actually apply at futureshop several times, only for the manager at the time to basically explain to me that the online form and questions were setup in a way that being honest wouldn't grant me a position in any of them which is pretty terrible imo.

Eventually the only place that even called me at all among every business i could get to at the time, was burger king to which i applied and got hired on for graveyard shifts, and i rather quite enjoyed the work and specially doing the stock/inventory work. While doing that i also continued to do the computer work from home.

March of 2005 i took the A+ certification tests, didn't take any course, just wrote them and passed with flying colours. Even with this on hand, no one would hire me still in anything regarding computing, not even in a sales position or what have you.

May of 2005 rolled around, my father still battling the separation and divorce situation, had lost the only hired help he could get, and it's tough to find anyone willing to do the work let alone doing it right without buggering shit up. Suffice it to say, he called me to ask me to come down and help out, so may 17th, i walked into work, told them a family emergency had occurred and that if all went well, i'd be back in most likely a month or so, and that essentially apologized for the lack of notification.

Spent 2005 working farm duty, finished up in october/november and then couldn't get my job back at burger king either. January of 2006 rolled around and my summer work funds were slim and again no one was hiring for computer work, couldn't see to get away from it regardless. However an opertunity arose in which i'd have my own kind of small retail space within a building, i'd operate the sears catalogue outlet along with operating the sales/supply for another business in order to secure roughly 175 square feet of my own space to fix/sell computers. Established in january of 2006 and operated within that agreement until basically january of 2008 before moving to my own large 1500 square foot building that i purchased december of 2007. Since 2008, i've been operating out of my own building, running 2 businesses including a 3rd (which is farming)... being seasonal, i temporarily close down the shop to help with the farm or rather more recently the last few years, farm myself alongside my sister, so it works out since the farm is basically not in operation from october to april of which the computer related business in usually in full operation between october and april.. then from april to october it's mostly nothing but farming.

Since that time, i had purchased a house the end of 2006 and start of 2007 of my own, i've been living there ever since. I've also become a technical/computer consultant for several business, some small and some massive. The most recent one in which i'm just contracted on as needed, is a multi-billion dollar international business that deals with mines and all sorts of rather massive projects, most of which consists of engineers and architects, the group i'm mostly associated to are the ones that inspect and design/engineer mine shafts both for new ones and for closing down old ones or FIXING the screw ups that other competing companies had done.

At my arguably low hourly rate that i charge, i'm usually far cheaper than their own IT staff, and usually produce solutions that actually work and long term have application not to mention usually are far cheaper and reliable in the long term too. One of thing of which is handling and maintaining a camera rig that they send down the shafts to 3D map. Most of my work has been limited to fixing it up, as there are only 2 rigs in all of north america and it's kind of their primary source of income as without it, they can't properly do their job.

Dyre Straits likes this.