How do you set up multiple HDMI on Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

OK so small issue

I have this surround system Samsung HT-j5550w/

This TV Sony Bravia KD-49X8309C

and a Ps4

The Surround system has 1 HDMI out (the reciever is also the bluray) and that connects to my TV through the HDMI (ARC) and no HDMI in

the PS4 and any other devices I plug in will not utilise the amp unless I use an optical cable from the Amp to the back of the TV so any sound outputted through the TV takes advantage of the amp

However this is causing just a little audio lag and sync issues (im assuming the amp or TV cannot decipher the signal fast enough) its a tiny amount but I see it

my last setup had multiple HDMI inputs this one does not ...

I can adjust the lag through the amp menu but its a fiddly process and not 100% on all Bluray or games

any ideas ?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

personally i think anyone that build a surround sound amp, needs to be shot for building one that doesn't have even just one HDMI input (if it's built after the year 2005 when hdmi standards were pretty much solidified for audio). Being that it has ARC, it should damn well have hdmi in.

Your only real solution is to get ARC working, however your TV needs to support the same functionality and receiver needs to be plugged into the tv's hdmi port that is ARC as well.

If you lack ARC, then you're kind of SOL in getting rid of the lag without affecting other devices. Typically under that circumstance, i'd recommend plugging the PS4 via fiber directly into the amp rather than relying on using the tv's own fiber to hook into the amp.

On the samsung and sony tvs though i think there should be an audio delay in the audio menu, but i'm not sure.

3. Mr Cairo

Right thanks for that I will look into ARC more and see if I can get all the devices to use that as standatd

The lack of HDMI in is odd I dont understand how they want us to do this, do they want me to use a splitter (plug the hdmi out into a 3 way splitter an then plug the splitter into the TV ?).... Would that even recognise the 4k signal surley there would be issues

My last setp was a sony one it had 4 HDMI inputs and I should never have gotten rid of it

anyway cheers Judas

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I learned long time ago, never get a TV which doesn't have plenty of inputs. Last time I did anything with more than 2.1 speakers Clinton was the president of the USA, so I can't say I remember much. Good luck.

5. Mr Cairo

TV has plenty, 4 HDMI and 2 USB , ! optical its the surround system thats lacking .

what im thinkng is possibly run the surround from the HDMI out to the HDMI 4 (Arc) and plug the optical cable from the PS4 to the back of the surround system ... PS4 might lag a little but Bluray should be fine

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

When I got my new amplifier/reciever a few years ago one of the things I really made sure of was that it had multiple HDMI inputs and supported 3D. I now have both my HTPC, my PS4 and my main computer connected to it and everything works flawlessly onto my TV. I honestly don't need more than one HDMI input on my TV, even though it has 4. At the beginning I used the optical out on my HTPC for audio but after I found that the HDMI audio was just as good, or even better, and it's so much easier to just switch between HDMI inputs on the amp I have been sticking to that.

That said, I'll have to buy a new amp soon because it doesn't support 4K, something that only the most expensive amps did back when I got it. But, it won't happen until I get a 4K TV so there's no rush.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  7. Mr Cairo

Yeah i dont get the lack of HDMI inputs on the back of systems anymore I actually found it hard to find any with Multiple HDMi in and Tallboy speakers thats also affordable (local Currys did not have any) , so in the end settled but now I am seeing the downside

Shame is my last system was a Sony HTSS360 and that had multiple hdmi inputs .....Im really not sure why I changed tbh

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Don't rush to a new A/V Receiver until they are FULLY HDMI 2.1 compliant with full 120hz 4k/60hz 8k and freesync support (also known as Variable Refresh Rate in the HDMI 2.1 standards)...

They should be releasing either as early as christmas 2018 or spring 2019

9. Mr Cairo

might consider buying a second hand Sony HTSS360 reciever and switch it out with the Samsng one to take advantage of the speaker

10. Liqourice

I have no idea about this but are there no switch boxes avaliable that can fix this problem temporarily?

11. Mr Cairo

Most of the ones I looked at dont support 4K and the ones that do are a little on the pricey side

12. Liqourice

Ah, that's to bad.

13. Mr Cairo

Ok so I tried again, I plugged the amp through the arc HDMI and unplugged the coax cable ... so now I have

Amp is plugged through HDMI Arc on TV
    PS4 is pugged into HDMI 2
    Cable box is plugged into HDMI 1

I have unplugged the optical cable and for some reason everything works this time, the PS4 would not output sound before I had planned on running an optical able from that to the amp but its not needed

anyway not sure why or how but more than happy with this now