How many HH'ers smoke?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Jul 20, 2010.

?

How many people on here smoke?

1. Yes I do smoke

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No, I don't

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. I did smoke but I quit

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Never touched a cigarette in my life

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  1. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

In every club, in every cinema, in every restaurant, in every pizza place, in every park, on every street, I have the right to be exactly like you do. I am just staying there taking up space. You are there taking up space and smoking. Smoking does you the same amount of good as it does me harm. And yet, the only way to prevent harming me is for me to give up my right to be somewhere if I so chose? It's a skewed vision of liberty and democracy. As you said, you chose to smoke. You executed an action that directly harmed me.

We're all aware of special cases. But they don't make up 100% of the smokers population. I have nothing to say to them. Tough. I don't think smoking really helps them. But that's another story.

If you're a special case then my words are not for you. I'm talking to the other 99.9%.

Now, before we begin to sound like we are getting out of the scope of the forum rules... we should agree to talk in general terms, as representatives of two distinct populations and not a forum user trying to kill another...

psycophic and Calliers like this.
  2. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

I quite about a year and a half ago after 18 years of smoking. I quite after finding out that I have heart issues. I can't believe how smoking stopped me from doing a lot of the everyday things I do now. I wish I had never started in the first place.

Skateboarding at the local park went from a half hour of skating and then "needing a 15 minute break" to non stop skating for three hours a session, sweating my ass off and feeling the best time of my life because of it (and I'm 38 now). And that's just one instance of how things have changed. Sex last a hell of a lot longer now too, not just a half hour fling.

I also have my daughter that I don't want to ever start smoking and I'd like to be around for her when she gets older.

My suggestion to those thinking about quiting, do it but do it because you want to. I've found that smoking had stopped me from doing a lot of things, things that have interfered with activities with my daughter. Stuff that I wish I could do over again, smoke free.

It's hard and it sucks, the first month after I quite was probably the worst month of my life but you get over it and it does get easier. You find different ways with dealing with shit that you used to have to have a smoke for. Like I said, things get better too. Sex is better and longer, you start to actually taste your food again and shit doesn't smell like smoke all the time (something I didn't notice how bad until I quite). I've been hit on a lot more since I've quite too which has been kind of flattering (although the fiance' isn't all that happy about it at times).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    psycophic, Calliers and isaak like this.
  3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Never!
    I hate them, I always have hated them and I always will hate them. They smell, they cost money, they kill people, they cause limbs to fall off, they give you a crusty voice, they pollute the air, they cause people to take an excessive amount of breaks during the day, they give you rotten teeth, they kill your taste buds, they give you yellow fingernails, they make people careless ("I'll just pop outside for a fag... oh dear, I left the stove on and the dinner burned"), they litter the streets... I could go on for days.

Banning smoking inside buildings (except homes) was a step in the right direction but it's not far enough. Yes, smokers aren't polluting the inside of buildings but they all now congregate in doorways and send big wafts of smoke out together.

"You could just walk away". Yes, maybe, except the streets are full of smokers and you actually want to get to your destination. Walk away from one and it won't be long before you walk towards another.
    "I could just squirt your cigarette with a water pistol".

"It's my body and I'll do what the hell I want to it". Fine by me, just be sure to stand in an air-tight room because that's the only way the cigarette smoke won't get to anyone else.

If you want to know what it's like to be near a smoker, have someone with rotten guts fart in your face. For that brief moment you're gagging in putrid smells you've just had one whiff of someone's cigarette smoke - there'll be another one to follow soon.

There are no plus-sides to smoking. None.

4. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

I never got into that disgusting habit. When I was growing up my father smoked 2 packs a day. I saw what it did to him and I told myself I would never get hooked on that crap.

5. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I haven't ever done cigarettes but I did have a couple cigars. Never bought my own, just was given one in a social gathering. Never really did anything for me. I don't like the smell and that is where it stopped.

I'm another person that is glad that it was banned in my area in public buildings. It may be fine elsewhere but around here any place that allowed smoking was just a hazy smelly place. I have been to a few restaurants that I had to leave because of the smoke.

Some smokers (like my close friends 8 of which are hard smokers) are very respectful of not breathing it in your face. Some are not and, quite frankly, even the ones who are the point exists that if I'm in the same, small restaurant with you I'm going to smell it whether or not you are near me. It is like putting a peeing section in a pool. Regardless of where you are, air, like water, has this funny way of distributing things suspended in it and circulating it everywhere. The only places that are truely ok for me have been the places that have two rooms separated by walls and doors for smoking and non smoking.

When I'm with my friends, I tollerate it. Not to mention that I never have to drive anywhere because they can't smoke in my car ;)

psycophic, Calliers and IvanV like this.
  6. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

LOL!!! That's very classic!

After reading the whole thread... it reminded me of when my brother who's a smoker once told me that the main reason he smoked was as an "excuse" to go outside when he was working. True, it's nice to get outside, feel the sun and the breeze, and get a bit oxygen-high from inhaling the fresh air, but at the cost of all of this tobacco smoke that satisfies the physical addiction to nicotine.

If you shall quit, then so it shall be. If not, then don't worry too much--life is short anyways, and just be happy. The secret in the moment is happiness.

7. Nicu Balmus

Nicu Balmus Сказочный долбоёб

i didn't smoke almost a week....but i want...but i won't do it......

isaak, psycophic, IvanV and 1 other person like this.
  8. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Congrats xProg, way to go.

That is very true, in this life to be happy you need enough, love and charity. Those three things and you're golden.

psycophic likes this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Good for you, man...... ;)

Calliers likes this.
  10. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Cool xprog keep it up :)

11. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Hmm, cool.. I heard of some chronic smokers who lived to like 102 or 104 years of age. Gotta look it up--did anybody else hear of this?

12. psycophic

psycophic HardwareHeaven Saint

I've heard of many people who smoke to age 80 to 100 and live cancer free lives, sure smoking is dangerous, but I think the mass media up plays the dangers of it too much. Not that I'm saying it would be good for younger people to start, just that smoking is not always as dangerous as most would claim.

Btw, I myself do not smoke.

Calliers likes this.
  13. Calliers

I`ve heard many stories of chronic smokers living to ripe old ages too, like psycophic says, it really is over-exaggerated what smoking can do to you. I only started a few months ago and plan to quit next month as its easier to quit sooner than later. For this month I`m going to savor the last few cigarettes I smoke. And it is enjoyable, once you get past the foul tasting, I`m doing it for my friends, I`m doing it to look cool or I`m doing it just to get a break stage. They are enjoyable indeed, otherwise no one would smoke, you can bet your bottom dollar they are.

14. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Yeah, I am sure the mega corporations who do not sell cigarettes are exaggerating to make money out of our fears.
    On the other hand I had 3+1 heavy smokers in my family who got cancer and no one else (big family) did although none of them smokes so much.

Smoking is like drinking and driving. Sure it doesn't always lead to accidents or deaths, but you sure pressure your luck trying it.

15. Calliers

The only reason cigarette companies include those on their packs is because they are required to do so by law, or they can`t sell cigarettes in the first place.

16. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Dude don't be daft encouraging smoking is just wrong and the reason cigarettes have warning labels is because they are dangerous and that's why its a law to label them but since its personal choice its hard to control what people do :(

17. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

its more than enough to keep me off them

18. deBelly

deBelly New Member

When I was young I saw this on TV. It was a real eye opener and probably the single biggest reason why I never started smoking. David Garlitz, former model who appeared in Winston cigarette advertisements, said in an interview:

"In general none of the managers of RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company smoked. I asked them why they aren’t smokers. I was really surprised. One said: 'We don’t smoke this shit, we only sell it.' I smiled and he added: 'We reserve the right to smoke for the young, the poor, the black and the stupid'."

19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i find it interesting how the majority of people that have smoked their entire life and have no REAL health issues are those that do not live in the cities or villages doing desk work.. but those that doing physical labour or working in relatively dusty or dirty conditions in which "clean" dust/dirt is enhaled which would clearly indicate that such conditions are normal.. natural.. in being able to "clean" our systems..... as it was orignally intended.

Not to mention the fact that they have no admitted that a insane amount of bacteria has been able to save peoples lifes which would be considered a health risk in any other situation.

20. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It's not just cancer. My grandmother didn't get cancer, but she had serious cardiovascular problems, including "smoker's foot" for which she had to have a leg amputated below the knee.