How to enable the right analog stick in UT2K4 on your XBox 360 controller

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by DarkFoss, Jan 11, 2006.

1. DarkFoss

DarkFoss New Member

There's alot of misinformation on the Atari forums on how to get the right analog stick working in UT2K4 when you plug in your XBox 360 controller into your pc.

All you need to do after you plug it in and Windows installs the drivers are;
    1 Fire up the game and in the options turn on joystick support and close out the game.
    2 Go to your UT2K4 game folder and open up the system folder.
    3 Locate the UT2004 config file and open it up notepad will be fine. Scroll down and locate
    the 2 instances of UseJoystick= 1 is under [WinDrv.WindowsClient] and the second is under
    [SDLDrv.SDLClient] make sure they are both set to True the first one should be set already and save.
    4 Next open up the User config file scroll down and near the end of the [Engine.Input] section you should see

JoyR=
    JoyU=
    JoyV=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
    JoySlider1=Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
    JoySlider2=

Change it so it looks like

JoyR=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=40.0 DeadZone=0.1",Alias=TurnLeft
    JoyU=Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=25.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1
    JoyV=
    JoySlider1=

and save. You may want to save a copy of your original first. This set up enables you to look up and down with the right stick as well as look left and right. If you want to push down to look up as if you are flying simply leave off the Invert=-1 Also if the look up down left and right are too slow for you simply change the numbers after speedbase until you find a speed you are comfortable with.
    I have not posted this at the Atari forums my password no longer works :sigh:

Note :You must clear JoyV= and Joyslider1= to stop the screen from drifting down and spinning. As far as I can tell there is no way to enable the ForceFeedback the Windows Drivers lack support.

That it enjoy [​IMG]

2. Flexkill

Flexkill New Member

great, now tell me how to make it work in madden and NBA live 06.:rolleyes: This damn 360 controller is the worst piece of crap i ever had the pleasure of spending 40 bucks on. Works on absolutely nothing....correctly anyway.:annoyed: :x

3. DarkFoss

DarkFoss New Member

I'm sure that there will be support for the controller eventually. There is a way to make the controller work with one huge catch :p

If you are proficient in C++ you can download the latest DirectX_SDK dec2005 package.
    Inside is a new interface called XInput if your a programmer it's supposed tp make it easier to add support in your games for the controller by working with Direct X instead of having to re-work your DX code. They even supply a tutorial and examples in a part called DirectX Sample Browser.
    They have broken it dowm into 4 parts 2 beginner's called Simple Controller once installed it activates the part of the game controller that shows how many controllers are plugged in and you can see the values used for the trigger buttons and both analog sticks as well as lock them.

The second easy one is called Rumble Controller and shows how to add Forcefeedback support and allows you to determine the values for both the left and right motors.

The third is intermediate for adding the headset support for the controller called AudioController.

Last is the Advanced that shows how to combine DirectX and XInput working together in your games as well as how to handle unplugged controllers. That demo is a reworking of the old Asteroid game with better graphics. You can have 4 controllers plugged into your pc for a little multiplayer fun:cool:

There is 1 huge drawback to installing the package though. Someone on the Atari board said to install it to get the controller working properly in games. So naturally I tried it without setting a restore point. They were dead wrong. Outside of the aforementioned tutorials it adds nothing and infact once I installed it I lost the ability to use and configure the 2 Trigger buttons in UT2K4.:sigh: Probably lost the use of them in any game. The specific reasons are buried in the tutorial support pages. So unless you want to try your hand at some coding Do Not Install it. Losing the 2 trigger buttons to play 4 man Asteroids isn't worth it.

Hopefully Gamemakers will adopt XInput to add controller support more easily into games.
    Too bad I'm a 45 year old with no knowledge of programming:p it does look kinda fun:)

4. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

I heard the controller was kick ass with an additional third party program which can configure a dead zone. BTW, are you one of the few people who are actually better with a controller than a Mouse+keyboard combo?

5. DarkFoss

DarkFoss New Member

I doubt it :lol: I used to do nothing but console gaming. I bought my first comp to play EverQuest.

At 45 my reflexes are slowing down, I doubt the word Better can be applied to my gaming skills anymore :p

6. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

7. DarkFoss

DarkFoss New Member

Nice thanks for that link.. I'm going to install those XBCD drivers mentioned further down and give the config a whirl.. Free as opposed to pay appeals to me [​IMG] That Pinnacle software sounds a bit like what Logitech uses for thier controllers