How To Find Out Folder Size In Windows? @ Tech ARP

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Vikingod, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Source: Tech ARP
    For years, all through the lifetime of Windows, determining folder size remains one of the most demanded feature. Windows Vista which was released in January 2007 still left out this particular feature. It is understandable that updating the folder size all the time may impact performance but why not have that as an option which is disabled by default but readily available for user?

Hence, this has spawned various software be it freeware or shareware for the purpose of 'just' to find out the size of folders in Windows. But which ones are recommended? Read on to find out.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What am I missing? Can't you just click on properties of the folder to find out?

3. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Is he really complaining about a couple seconds to tally up a total?

I got a folder with 85 gigs worth of various emu stuff in it.....took about 3 seconds to tally up.....and I by no means have the fastest PC around.

Don't know what that fool is talking about. :duh:

4. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

I was thinking the same thing.....

But then I *read the article*. ;-) His issue appears to be the slowness to enumerate folders that have large numbers of files within, as opposed to not knowing how to right click....

5. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

mhhh I know which folders are big and which ones are small :) and if i run out of space I need to buy a bigger hd again ;)

6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Way to go adding a service that will have to do quite a bit of work in advance for something the user will rarely need. The Vista teem are probably already negotiating to hire this talent.