How to silence mouse movement?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

If I don't have something else producing noise in this room, moving the mouse cursor around on the screen produces a static-y/scatchy noise and it's driving me nuts!

This has nothing to do with audio because I can completely mute the speakers and it still produces this noise.

Does anyone know of any possible way to silence this? Different mousepad? Different mouse?? OR???

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

One solution would be to try a different mouse/pad... and hear for yourself.

You can also try different speakers.

The first I suggest (yes I know you muted the speakers) is to open the volume mixer, I presume it is still around in Windsuckblows 10, and check if anything else is causing this but muting each source of input.
    For example I have this issue because I have an input from my game consoles going through my laptop and if they are turned off, some times they will make a very faint noise. By muting that input the problem goes away.

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Are you using a wireless mouse? If you do, is it Bluetooth or IR?

Sounds to me like there's some interference that causes this.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Depending on what you're doing, you'll get ressenence produced by the computer itself or i find it seems to coincide with the cpu/gpu as well producing the sound as you move the mouse across the screen. It is rather annoying i agree. I've found that typically it's actually being caused by the power supply in some cases as well. Either something isn't properly glued down in place causing the frequencies and rapid movement of electrons to vibrate specific components at just the right way.

it's very difficult to narrow down and elliminate sometimes, but i find it's quite often a power supply... even just the plugin you're currently using to the machine and what other devices are shared on that same circuit... isolating it can resolve it.

5. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Or you could always just...get used to it. :D

6. Dyre Straits

Yes, this is very, very annoying.

FTR, it's a USB wired mouse. The TTi Black that I got a few years ago.

I've tried putting a piece of white paper on top of the mouse pad. No change at all.

7. Liqourice

Well, something is causing interference if you get noise in your speakers from moving your mouse. I would say that there is a grounding problem, that's about the only idea I have if it's a wired mouse.

Or, if you have the power to your speakers connected to another power outlet than the computer. That can cause some weird issues since the two are slightly out of phase with eachother.

8. Dyre Straits

Some of you are missing a very fine and important point: The noise is produced....even if the speakers are disabled/muted.

I have even gone the route of totally disabling the monitor speakers (remember, I have THREE monitors), the 4K screen speakers and the 40 inch HDTV speakers.

Audio, within the controls has been muted, as well.

9. Calliers

But....are the speakers still connected? To power and or the PC?

10. Dyre Straits

I have uploaded this video to Youtube...
    You will definitely hear the PC fans. What needs to be noticed is that, as the mouse cursor is moving, the static sound is there. When I stop moving the cursor, that sound stops as well.

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

You guys are missing something: the electronics inside the mouse. You've got components in there that can create audible noise, like the capacitors, or coils when reacting to electronic feedback. Anyone remember the old coil whine video cards could produce? Logitech mice, such as the G700, had this issue. As you use the mouse there are all sorts of interactions going on with the optical sensor, the DPI sensors, and so on. It could be that the mouse is dying, or that there is feedback from the USB port, such as power feedback, or a polling issue.

My advice: try a different USB port. Specifically, a USB 2.0 port, one that isn't an "always on" port. If it's in a USB 2.0 port, try a USB 3.0 port.

Edit: I would also try changing the DPI rate. See if that helps.

Edit 2: could also be a grounding issue with the USB port the mouse is plugged into, which is why I mentioned trying a different port.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Dyre Straits likes this.
  12. Dyre Straits

Thank you. Will do some of this over the weekend.

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

You're still using the same Gigabyte board, right? The Z77? If so, try plugging the mouse into one of the 2 red USB ports. Those are the USB 2.0 ports (if I recall Gigabyte recommends using them for mouse / keyboard). If that's where the mouse is, move it to one of the 4 x USB 3.0 ports lower down. I don't think it'll matter if you plug the mouse into one of the front panel ports though as I believe they all run off the same circuit. You could try though.

14. Calliers

I do hope you fix it soon, that sound is irritating. If I were you I'd also take the opportunity to get a new mouse too as that one has served its time and needs replacement now.

15. Liqourice

I don't know what you mean with "disabled", completely turned off so there's no power going to them or just disabled in windows?

As long as the speakers themselves are on, they don't need to be connected to anything, you can get interference in them. If there's no power to them they can't produce any noise, even from interference, so if they are completely turned off there has to be something else, maybe from the mouse itself.

16. Dyre Straits

Yes, still using the same mobo for the past...I think...5 years now.

I did move the plug to a different USB port. At the moment, it does seem to have reduced the sound, but, it's still there.

17. Calliers

Do you have a different mouse you can try?

18. clubrope

clubrope Member

Is the problem solved now?

Dyre Straits likes this.
  19. Dyre Straits

No, just not a prevalent as before.

20. Dyre Straits

UPDATE!!!! And Solution!!!

The sound comes from my Center Speaker....which is located just below my center monitor. If I turn the volume down the sound disappears....or, at the very least becomes so much more tolerable!

Calliers likes this.