How to test and diagnose stability?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by ET3D, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I have my new PC (Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 board + Phenom II 710 CPU, for those who haven't followed my other thread), and I'm installing stuff and testing.

I've installed AMD OverDrive, which is pretty nice (much nicer than Easy Tune 6 which comes with the motherboard). It has a stability test, and when I run it, the program crashes after a while.

I've also had problems, after updating the BIOS to F2A. Tried ACC (which wasn't in the F1 BIOS), and that caused a blue screen (even though the specific BIOS says "Update ACC code for Phenom X3 CPU"). Even after disabling it, it blue screened, but it's stopped since then.

Anyway, that made me want to test the various components of the system, to see if there's anything that's wrong if stressed too much. Better do that now, because I make it my main PC (still have my old one running).

I tried memtest86, which I used in the past, but it didn't work (recognised things wrongly, including wrong memory speed; probably doesn't know about the CPU and chipset).

So, can anyone recommend software that can do a thorough check of my PC, to find potential weak hardware spots? Thanks!

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I recommend two to start as they can be tuned to test specific system components.

In the Everest stress test you can select what is being stressed including CPU, RAM, cache and HD (or any combination thereof).
    Everest Download Free

OCCT 3.0.1 has improved and is more than a CPU stress test now. In fact it has a potent video card stress test worth checking out.
    Download - OCCT Website english

These are not all available but a start for you and the links are for freeware versions of both ;)

ET3D likes this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

even if memtest 86+ (get the 86+ not the orginal memtest) is recognizing memory speeds and such wrongly, that doesn't really matter, as long as it passes SEVERAL tests.

4. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Thanks. I tried memtest 86 (not 86+), because it was newer, and it got stuck. The 86+ version does run. Still doesn't correctly recognise either the memory or the CPU, but it does recognise the correct amount of RAM and the tests do run.

5. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Also thanks, Mac Daddy. I tried OCCT, but it seemed somewhat limited. Good perhaps for CPU and GPU stressing, but I wanted memory, too. I also tried Sandra, and it's always nice to run it, because of the benchmarking, plus it's somewhat of a stress test (but not as good as something designed for it).

6. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

If you want Memory/Subsystem testing (NB/Controller etc) use OCCT with the Linpack option.

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Yes or also try Everest you can set what components are being stressed.

8. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Thanks. For now I'm satisfied the the PC is stable if I don't enable ACC.

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member