HP Laptop: Battery Dies if not plugged in

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, May 19, 2019.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I've not been a user of laptops much until just recently. I do have a re-furbished HP laptop. One thing that I'm curious to know is if it's typical for the battery to die if the laptop is not in use and not plugged in for a few days.

When I put it in its satchel, when I bring it out to use it, I always have to plug it in because the battery has completely drained.

Does it need a new battery or is this typical?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

OS?

3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

If you use the laptop how long a battery life do you get

I use mainly rechargeable batteries for all my household appliances (remotes, Cameras, controllers etc)and tend to find that ones that dont hold a charge anymore are pretty much done, when charged they only last a couple of hours at best

4. Dyre Straits

Why would that matter if the laptop is turned off all during the time the battery is dying?

So far, I mainly use it when it's plugged in due to the fact that the battery is dead after a few days of being off and in its satchel. I pretty much HAVE to plug it in since there are so many Windows Updates to download and get installed prior to even beginning to do any tasks. So, I have no real clue how long it would last on battery alone.

5. Trusteft

Because Windows 10 (and even 8.1 if you don't tweak it) doesn't really switch off the machine when you do it. Trying to make it appear look (very short times for switching on), the machine goes into a "sleep" mode when you shut down windows. Obviously it shouldn't consume THAT much power if any, but you never know.

To be fair, most likely it is something else perhaps a malfunctioning battery, but if you could try it with another OS (Linux?).

Have you tried this? (Assuming you use W10)

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Windows 10 does a hybrid hibernation shutdown, this is only software side effected, it has no bearing on the hardware/battery at all.

What windows vista onward was frequently doing is when shutdown was selected from start menu OR the button pressed, at worse it was sent to sleep, at best it was sent to a hibernation like state which obviously BOTH will continue to chew on the battery since most everything is left "hot", only hibernation tends to last longer much akin to a deep sleep. Forcing a shutdown shouldn't continue to drain the battery however, but i've had numerous customers come in which their "preconfigured" laptops never ever shutting off and always eating the battery up, some peoples laptops as i said never even make it beyond sleep, and some don't even make it to sleep and simply just turn off the screen when shut, leaving the fans choking and spinning while stuffed into a bag. Drives me up the walls when people pull their laptop out of the bag and you can hear the fans screaming.

Either way, IF the laptop is actually shutting down, a laptop battery that is new should maintain a charge for at least a week or 2 with minor degradation occurring. Laptop batteries generally have an average lifespan of about 1 to 2 years with some making it 3, anyone with a battery maintaining say a 75% of it's original charge lifespan (if a laptop new could operate on battery on average for 2 hours, 75% of that would an hour and a half) after roughly 2 years, is doing quite well, and if you maintain even 50% after 3-5 years you're doing VERY well.

Refurbished stuff has always been totally unpredictable and justifiably worth avoiding.

7. Dyre Straits

UPDATE!
    I have not been a user of laptops until very recently. One was given to me and that one lost the display after a short time. But, it was also a very old one.

This particular one seemed to get quite hot. So, I got a cooler tray to use with it. I did not realize, until you all mentioned it, that the system doesn't fully shutdown...even when the PC shows a "Shutdown" option. So, I had been leaving the cooler tray plugged into the USB port when I put it away. Since I started unplugging that, the battery has performed as it should.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  8. Trusteft

So basically what I mentioned earlier. MS screws its customers yet again.
    I am glad it now works.
    Enjoy.