I don't enjoy food as much as I used to

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Ok, I don't know if this is something I should be worried about, but I don't enjoy food as much as I used to and even when I'm eating my favourite dishes I find it hard to finish the meal. It can be balanced with vegetables, meats and carbs, or mostly one or the other, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Even fruits which I used to love I find boring now. Also junk food whether sweet or savory is just a drag. I'm eating a lot less which I guess is good because everyone is noticing I've lost a tonne of weight since I started eating less but now it's getting embarrassing, I go to expensive restaurants and can't even finish my own meal, which is even worse when someone else is taking me out.

My favourite meals as I mentioned are all boring, I've tried different types of foods and they have all lost their luster for me. What should I do? I'm going to tell my doctor, but everything also tastes different, like somehow the flavors are not so vibrant for me, as if they've somehow all been muted.

I don't know if this is normal, so off I go to google, but in the mean time I just thought I'd start this here thread.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Be careful what you Google ahead of seeing your doctor. With what you've described you're going to find all sorts of causes that fit what you are describing (for the appetite, and muted taste), and it could send you down a dark path for no reason.

For instance one person I know had the "muted" taste buds you're describing. She found all sorts of shit on-line that scared the crap out of her (the C word came up over and over)... sent her into panic mode, got depressed, couldn't sleep. Screwed her up for several days. In the end it was as simple as this: her thyroid med. The med she was taking was muting her pallet on top of already being B-12 deficient. An adjustment to her thyroid med, and a B-12 shot latter, back to normal. That simple.

Just be careful what you research.

IvanV likes this.
  3. Calliers

Yeah thanks about Google, a guy did a parody video about how he found out he had a terminal illness and sold his house and gave away his money and car only to find out it was a small issue lol.

I'll check that out thanks, with my doctor, I do take something for my thyroid.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Always count on Tipstaff to deliver a sound advice. :)

Calliers likes this.
  5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So, how long till we see a new thread about food Calliers enjoys?

Calliers likes this.
  6. clubrope

clubrope Member

I think you better go to your doctor for a check-up, some illnesses have lost of appetite at symptoms. But I hope you are fine.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Lol, probably not for a while, I am still struggling to eat anything and enjoy it.

Will be checking in with my doctor soon.

8. Calliers

Good news everyone! My enjoyment for food has returned!

Turns out I had a flu that lasted a couple weeks, it's gone now and I feel healthy and happy. Food tastes just as good as it once did I'm pleased to report. :)

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Shocked!
    Welcome back.

Calliers likes this.