I Have A Question

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by drwho, May 9, 2011.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

To make a long story short, I just recently had to replace my old motherboard with a new one. The new board I installed is a Asus Rampage III Formula. As I am terrible when it comes to making the correct settings in the Bios to get my CPU and memory where they should be, I need to ask the following question.

[​IMG]

As you can see I have a i7 940 installed in my computer. Isn't the core speed supposed to be 2930.0 instead of what the core speed indicates in the cpu-z picture above. Also shouldn't the multiplier be x 22.0, not x 12.0?

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Did you try putting a load on the CPU to see if the speed jumps?

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Try what Ivan said, you will see it fluctuate from 12X to 22X dependent on load. It's just scaled back at the moment. It may hit some speeds in between as well.....

4. drwho

drwho Active Member

[​IMG]

As you can see I finally was able to figure out what was throttling my CPU back. My processor is now running at it's default speed.

In the Bios in the Extreme Tweaker part of the menu there is a listing for CPU Configuration. One of the listings is called Intel Speedstep Tech. When this is enabled it throttles back the CPU, when disabled it allows the processor to run at it's default speed.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

True, but it saves power/generates less heat when throttled back and should step up when there is a load automatically...... If you are just browsing, checking email, etc. there's no reason to be running at full tilt. That's why they design them this way.

Did you try running it under a load with speedstep enabled and see if it throttled up by itself?

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I always leave speedstep enabled - no reason to waste electricity while your computer idles.

7. drwho

drwho Active Member

Point well taken. I will probably re-enable tonight when I get home. Like I've mentioned before, some of these things I don't quite grasp yet.

Thanks for the tips. :D

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

The only real reason to disable it that I've encountered is to increase overclocking stability, but to be honest, I've never even encountered that - none of my overclocked CPUs have ever been able to go higher without speedstep.