I just Baked my R9 270X

Discussion in 'General Graphics Cards Discussion' started by QB71, Oct 19, 2018.

1. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

So a little while ago my R9 270X threw a little fit one day when watching TV (I use madVR and have it push my card to the max) and then it was just a black screen. I could see the system POST and even get into windows at low res (1024x768). I tried everything, was about to go get a new card when I realized my very very old HD5770 is still lying around and it never had a problem... but would it work in Windows 10. It did and my rush for a new card was slowed. I don't want nVidia, and Polaris GPU's (for some odd reason) don't do well with madVR compared to the competition, I'll wait for Vega prices to fall or wait for Navi... no biggy.

But after a month or two of using the HD5770, it was really missing the clean sharp image of my R9 270X (almost all settings had to be knocked down at least 2 levels in madVR to run smooth on the ancient card). So I decided to try something I had heard about more than a decade ago... Bake my R9 270X.

I followed what all the guides said and baked the GPU @ 200 C for 10 minutes. Let it cool slowly, slapped Humpty back together again and slipped it in the computer.

It worked... Did some stress tests... Watched a few hours of TV... purrin' like a kitten. Now let's see how long it lasts :p

I'll be sure to report back when it finally dies.

QB

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Mr Cairo, Calliers and IvanV like this.
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've yet to have to do anything like this... but if it works... it's not stupid

3. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Out of Warranty giant paper weight... Nothing to lose really

QB

4. Judas

wall/shelf decoration

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Yeah, on the wall of shame maybe...

I have one GTX 660 Ti I did this too. It was the pair to the other card for SLI. Sold both to a customer. If I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to sell the other card.

6. sadder

sadder New Member

Welp! It's time to get a new GPU then. Get the 1660ti, its an absolute budget beast at this moment, also don't cheap out on the variant, try getting one of these https://appuals.com/best-gtx-1660-ti/. Good luck mate and sorry for your loss!

7. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

It's still kicking... and working half-decently with my new LG C8 (no 4k hardware decode of course and no 4K above 30Hz) so I think I'll run this until Navi comes out... I don't game and watch 99% of my tv 1080p or less with madVR upscaling to 4k.

QB

8. Judas

the DP port on it certainly supported 4k 60hz, you'd only need one of those cheap DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters for 60hz operation.

9. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Yeah, tried that... passive didn't work, then the active one I got went in very weird and I think it ripped the guts out of my one and only display port... at the very least it ruined the adapter... so after 3 trips to the store I said I am done trying. For content that is >30 Hz I found a easy work around. Just send the OLED 1080p @50, 59 or 60. So instead of madVR upscaling to 4k (which this old card might not of been able to do anyway at such high refresh rates) it only has to upscale to 1080 and the TV does the rest, upscaling on the C8 is actually pretty good and something I can live with until Navi hits the market. With profiles in madVR this can all be achieved without having to manually switch resolutions and refreshes. The renderer does it all for you.

QB