If shoe fits wear it.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Liqourice, May 3, 2018.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

No, not really.

I don't quite know where to put this so I put it in here just to be safe.

I've been neglecting my old computers for to long. So, I started playing around with my now 26 year old Amiga 4000 again, just to find out that something was wrong with it. I couldn't get any display on my old Commodore 1084 monitor so something wasn't quite working with the good old AGA chipset. My RTG display (Cybervision 64/3D) worked just fine so not much wrong with the computer in general.

Eventually I took the old thing apart and had a look at the motherboard. Lo an behold I found one of the old electrolyte capacitors had leaked a bit. Nothing uncommon, mine has actually been working a lot longer than other A4000's. Probably because I more or less had it running 24/7 for about 12 of those 26 years.

It hadn't leaked that much, it was easy to clean up and hadn't done any real damage. The only thing the leakage caused was a short on two pins on one of the chips handling the AGA chipset display. Hence it also affected the Zorro II scandoubler I had installed. After cleaning it up and removing the gunk it worked just perfectly again, even the scandoubler so I can use a VGA monitor for the AGA screenmodes.

It's so great to be able to play these old games again. The Settlers, De Luxe Galaga and so on. Even did play a bit of Quake just for the fun of it.

But. Things won't get better if I don't do anything. I did replace the original battery, the crappy barrel type that starts to leak on pretty much every Amiga eventually, to a NiMh barrel-battery about 20 years ago. It's all done for, it doesn't work anymore so I have to set the internal clock every time I boot it up, but at least it doesn't leak. So, I will replace this soon enough but I don't really feel the rush since it's not very likely to leak like the original battery would.

However, one leaking capacitor is something that will need to be fixed. I can do the simple soldering myself as it isn't really that hard, but replacing all electrolyte capacitors on the motherboard is just to difficult so I've found a guy that will do that for me for a reasonable price. This means my 26 year old Amiga 4000 will probably last another 25 years or so without problems. He will also update my old Cyberstorm Mk II accelerator card from it's original Motorola 68040/40Mhz (5V) to a 68060/50Mhz (3.3V) which means it will become about twice as fast as it has been for the last 25 years.

This has gotten me back to basic in some ways. It's fun to play around again, I have actually spent more time with my old Amiga the last couple of weeks than I have my day-to-day PC. In a sense I feel younger again. This has made me quite inspired and I'm gonna make a few videos to put on my youtube channel. In one I will try to repair the original keyboard for the A4000. It's been broken for about 20 years. I actually got a brand new Amiga 2000-keyboard as a replacement back in 1999 instead of repariing it. Now I'm gonna try and do that repair. I might even try and retrobrite the front cover of the desktop Amiga since it's awfully yellow.

This will probably also mean I will go down to the basement and get my old Amiga 500 up again. It's been in it's box for 20 years now. Should be interesting to see if it works. I'll probably get my old C64 up as well and see if that works or not, it has also been in storage for about 20 years or so.

I'll make a lot of videos from this and it's gonna be so much fun. Who the F cares about Threadrippers, coffee lake and such crap. It's retro time, it's real time, it's fun time and I feel so much more alive again!

Yay!

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    IvanV and Calliers like this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

What's a threadripper? :p

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I have no idea. :rolleyes:

Calliers likes this.