If you were given £5k (US$6,348.25) what ideal system would you make

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by pooky2483, Jun 28, 2019.

1. pooky2483

pooky2483 New Member

I'm looking to buy a new bespoke PC which will be able to cope with whatever I throw at it.
    My current build is really struggling to keep up with trying to record via OBS as it's unable to manage the FPS as it immediately goes into the red and misses far too many frames to be worth using.

What I am currently running now.
    MoBo - M5A78L-M USB3 - BIOS 2101 Onboard GFX
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 3400+ (not overclocked)
    RAM - 32.0GB PC3-10600 1333Mhz CL9 ( 9-9-9-24 ) DDR3

I previously tended to lean towards ASUS/AMD when building my PC but I'm willing to try others if they're a better spec than any ASUS/AMD hardware.

What spec build would you make if you had a spare £5,000/$6348. This is just on the tower and the bits that go inside it, nothing else, not even an OS as I prefer Linux.

Parameters are;
    It should be able to handle heavy CPU use and little to no lag on the GFX
    Tower - Depends on the MoBo & other internal bits
    CPU - 8 - 16 cores (32 if possible)
    CPU FAN - Quiet & powerful
    MoBo - According to CPU & RAM/More USB3 the better
    PSU - Appropriate for the load
    RAM - 32Gb - 64Gb (128Gb if possible)
    GFX CARD - Max Ram limited by budget & faster the better
    HD - 1Tb SSD - Samsung preferred
    CD/DVD - Open to your choice
    Extra Fans - However many the tower can take to keep it cool

Get spending :)

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

For 5K you are looking at spending a few K too many for a gaming PC.

3. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

If I was given 5000 pounds I would save it stat.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

In my area, I can build a very, very capable Gaming PC for less than $1200.00 USD.

5. Calliers

I wouldn't build a gaming PC for more than $5000 CAD.

6. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

You would be surprised how fast 5k will disappear if you are building from scratch and want all top of the line components... Case, PSU, MB, CPU, Cooler (most likely liquid), RAM, SSD's (two at least), HDD's (two at least), GPU, Sound Card (maybe), Speakers, Mouse, KB and OS... Poof there goes 5K...

QB

7. Calliers

I can attest to this, my current system cost a full 4K (Canadian though), if I added a RTX 2080 Ti instead of a regular 2080 it would have been 5K.

8. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

What are you going to be running other than games & OBS? Also, will you be running Windows in a VM w/ Looking Glass (or similar) or pure Linux?

9. pooky2483

pooky2483 New Member

I'll be using it for Steam games, VM to run various OS'es, but not all at the same time, video editing software, scribus (DTP type program), Inkscape, SweetHome3D, Audacity, Kodi, Gimp, Bitcoin core, Torrenting, OBS and other stuff like libreoffice, YouTube downloaders, programming

10. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Missed a notification there...

Basically a bit of everything. Okay so Ryzen's going to be your friend for Linux. Nvidia will work well but it needs a bit more hands on to get it working properly.
    I don't think there's a black and white answer for whether to go for Nvidia or AMD for graphics but the AMD 5000 series is a bit flakey at the moment with certain applications (Wine, to name one) so that will need a bit of time to mature. If you go for the 2000 series from Nvidia you' may need to update to the latest Kernel and ensure that you're running the latest drivers as the ones built-in will not be sufficient. The Radeon 7 works smoothly with very minimal work, by comparison and is an excellent performer in non-gaming tasks. You might need a bit of research into whether the RTX series cards or Radeon 7 work better for the specific applications that you use but from what I've found the 2080ti does not out-perform the 5700 by much in non-gaming scenarios.

Tl;dr if you game more than you use other tasks, consider the 2080ti. If not, 5700. Either option, go for a 3900X or, if the budget is still sufficient, TR 2950X (you'll lose price-performance for pure performance though you would gain RAM). If you're planning on assigning an iommu group to a VM, however, AMD all the way.
    In dual rank with all slots filled the max supported RAM speed is officially 2667 on Ryzen 3000 so anything higher than 3GHz will be wasted.

After that a nice 850W PSU. I'm a stickler for ASRock and ASUS but Gigabyte's fine too if the price is right. Then it's just an NVME of your choice plus HGST drives for storage. The case really depends on personal preference in my opinion.

IvanV and pooky2483 like this.