I'm considering getting a gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by Trusteft, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I haven't made up my mind yet not only about what brand/model to get but also IF I am going to get one.
    So, don't take this thread/question, too seriously. Yes I may end up buying one this week, but I may not at all.

Gaming laptop is going to be, if I get one. Enough hardware oomph for at least 2-3 years. Since I more or less avoid buying new AAA releases due to their DRM on the PC, I won't have to worry THAT much for future gaming. Unless of course more publishers start selling their games DRM free through GOG or something.

My point is, while I want the laptop to be able to play all current and near future games, I don't think I am going to worry much for the future since I will probably going to play older games for years to come on the PC.

Hardware specs,

• Intel quad core cpu, from the looks of it anything from a i7 4710 and up (wake up AMD!)

• GPU, I don't think I have much of a choice, nvidia 970m or 980m (wake up AMD!)

• RAM, if it is easily upgradable (no voiding the warranty and who knows what) then it doesn't matter the min, but I wouldn't mind anything between 16 and 32 GB either.
    • Storage, same rules as for RAM, I am not crazy about m2 ssd. everything being equal, I would prefer normal ssd to m2. 512GB or of course if it is easy to replace, anything. I have no interest in mechanical drive as I would add another SSD to install the games. I am going to have external storage for everything else.

• Monitor, 1080p. I have zero interest in higher resolution for a laptop monitor or even for a gaming external monitor. I am going to have the laptop plugged in a much larger external monitor. I don't care that much for the type of the panel.

• I/O , at least 3 USB 3.0, hdmi 1.4, sd card slot, headphone/mic, at a minimum. In general the more USB the better. Thunderbolt is not needed, but I wouldn't mind it either. Same for other options.

• Full keyboard, including arrow keys and numpad. Even though I am going to plug in an external keyboard, for whenever I can't use one, I want it to be a full one. No FN+U for Arrow UP bs. Media keys I don't care about, but I won't say no to them.

• Optical drive, absolutely. Preferably a bluray recorder, but if it is user upgradable, anything will do.

• Color, well, anything goes, but if it is orange or chrome or chrome orange, it would be reaaaaaaallllllyyyyy nice.

• Sound, anything from realtek is probably preferred. I won't be very happy about it but I will be willing to get a SoundBlaster option if everything else is great.

• Cost, I doubt it will be under 1000 euros, but I will say anything min is fine :p The final price (including shipping to Greece) is open as long as we are not talking crazy money for the hardware offered.

Problems, for the moment I can't find a single laptop with a 970m or 980m sold in Greece. It looks like I am going to have to order one from the UK or something. I checked Eurocom for over the Atlantic but they have like 500 euros shipping cost. I laughed and laughed an laughed. I need less money to travel to Canada buy a laptop from there and return to Greece for that money.

I checked OverclockersUK and apparently Greece is not in their list of countries so that is out too.
    Any suggestions for online shops and laptop models, much appreciated.
    Any other comments are welcome too.

2. Trusteft

3. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

I would go for the Asus G751JY-DH71 with the blu ray burner. Why? Well because number one it's Asus which is exceptional quality, I wouldn't trust any other brand for a gaming laptop, number two it's got the blu ray drive so you can watch movies on it as well.

4. Trusteft

I am between MSI and ASUS, not just for the names but for the noise output. What worries me in general about gaming laptops is the throttling. Unfortunately reviews for them don't dig in if there is any throttling of the CPU/GPU and that could be a very bad surprise when you get the laptop.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

A buddy of mine has a gaming ASUS (an older G series model) and he is exceptionally pleased. It's got lots of fans and grills that give it tons of airflow without creating much noise and a nice feature that tracks how easily the fans spin and warns you when too much dust builds up, so heat is not an issue.

Trusteft likes this.
  6. Calliers

Yes I will second what Ivan has said, ASUS gaming laptop cooling is second to none.

7. Trusteft

Too many limitations. Every single laptop seems to have some issue that is pissing me off. They don't HAVE to have them, but no, they want to push higher configurations.
    Case closed. Going for a custom built desktop.

8. Calliers

I was wondering why you were getting a gamng laptop to begin with, they are excellent if you want to game on the go but have a main rig to do all your other gaming, or if you move from place to place a lot and don't really live in one place otherwise for the same cash you could get something with a lot higher specs by far.

9. Trusteft

Because I don't know how long I will stay in Greece, I might leave even next year. Even a gaming laptop is easier to carry than say a micro atx case.
    I will probably end up with a z97 haswell system though and not a z99.

10. Calliers

I've got a solution for you, build a rig for half what you were going to potentially spend on the most expensive laptop you had in that list and then when you leave sell it for the best price you can and then when you arrive wherever you're moving to build another rig also for half the price of the most expensive laptop in that list. Problem solved.

11. Trusteft

It's a great plan only that I live in Greece during the greatest depression since the civil war. If I get a 1500 euros PC and want to sell it next year, I couldn't get more than 300, if I were very lucky.
    I have another idea, when I reach my decision you will find out.

12. Calliers

I have another idea! Rob a bank! J/k lol, hope your idea is better than mine lol.

13. Trusteft

Banks don't hold much money to worth the trouble.
    Besides, I am not a criminal.
    I hope that too, time will tell.

14. TechTipSteve

TechTipSteve New Member

I'm gonna be "that guy" personally I think it would be best to build a gaming rig, not buy a gaming laptop for mainly one reason. Gaming laptops are consoles, once you max em out you gotta buy a new one , or do the impossible by doing a motherboard swap.. If portability is an issue than I would say build a mini-itx system . I personally know someone with an ASUS gaming laptop (not sure of the model) but it was $1300 last Christmas and he's ALREADY looking to upgrade ,where as I have a $850 PC that I'm still pretty happy with and I've had since Jan 2013