in need of help badly

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by edisontomenio, May 24, 2012.

1. edisontomenio

edisontomenio New Member

i am dying to update my 2year old drivers for my sony vaio vpcea16fg and i dont know where to start looking and what to do first. can someone with the knowledge and who is kind enough to be willing to help me. if its no too much to ask, can i have a step by step walkthrough on how to start. :/

2. A Desire to Game

A Desire to Game HardwareHeaven Hoosier

Question #1 - Why are you updating your video drivers?

Question #2 - What is your operating system?

It is always best to update video drivers from the manufacturer's website if updating a laptop. Sometimes, keyword sometimes, the latest drivers aren't supported even though the graphics card is clearly listed on ATi/AMD's driver page. (My friends hP ENVY had this problem) Otherwise go to AMD's page and look for your graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Graphics in this case).

Normally it is as easy as going to the manufacturer's web site, looking up your model number, and downloading the corresponding driver.

I'm guessing this is your current driver...Update version 8.723.8.2, 29 Nov 2010?

3. A Desire to Game

A Desire to Game HardwareHeaven Hoosier

Sony's driver is very out-of-date, which I imagine you found out. Try downloading the AMD tool at the following link.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx

It should tell you if they have updated drivers available.

My guess is the tool won't work as in my friend's ENVY case. This leads to trying modded drivers for the 5650 or leaving it as is. Sorry, laptop manufacturers don't care once they get your moo-la.

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod