Insane download speed with new VDSL while VPN is active?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by SeanPatrick, Sep 24, 2014.

1. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

So I just upgraded to faster internet from cable to VDSL (25mbps down, 10 up).. I tried testing it with speed test to see what I was getting without my VPN (to make sure the speeds were as advertised) and got pretty much what I expected:

[​IMG]

Then I tested it with my vpn ON (expecting it to be tiny bit slower) and got THIS:

[​IMG]

whaaaaaat? - The telephone installation guy was supposed to come over today to install it - (I needed a dry loop) but he never showed up. On a whim I hooked it up this afternoon thinking he'd been by and adjusted it from the panel outside (I live in an apartment) and sure enough it was working well... thing is, the telephone company called me at night and asked me if I wanted to reschedule the "missed appointment" as apparently the guy showed up after his scheduled time and I wasn't home - i.e. it should be working at all. They want to come by to "make sure everything's working" on the weekend despite my assurances that it was, but given the ridiculous speeds above I'm thinking I might just try to call him off in case he somehow changes something to bring my speeds down to earth. I have NO idea if this is even feesible - is that second test wrong somehow ? I've tested it about 5 times at different times of the day. As an aside I hooked up the telephone jack myself as I knew it was just a dummy plug previously.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Other than tests, have you tried actually downloading stuff?

3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

You're running the speed test on their server. The VPN network that you're connected to has 176mb connection. They then feed it to your 25mb line.

4. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

This. I tried downloading various files from different sites to measure speed - and it was right about 3 MB per second. Oh well - I think I was in dream land last night. I must take that networking course next so I don't sound like such a noob.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I noticed right off that the tests were run on two different servers. :)