Is it the Case or the MoBo?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

Son has a situation...using a very, very old but large PC tower, and, after getting a new GPU last week, the system doesn't want to start..and stay started. It will start, shut-off...try to start again and then won't start at all until we fiddle with some things.

I finally took the board out of the case, put in the new GPU and it's running like a charm.

So, what would be the most suspicious culprit: The case or the mobo?

The mobo is a 6 or so year old Gigabyte board. I have one similar and I do like mine.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Did you take everything out, and jumper start it, or was just the board moved out, yet everything was still connected (except whatever was in the PCIe slots)? Only time the case could be an issue is if there was a grounding issue.

Could be the power button. If the case has a reset button you could swap them around, and try starting the PC with the reset button (obviously don't hook the reset button up to the power button). If it works, it's not the case, but the button itself. One simple solution to replace it is to look for an external power button from uxcell for a basic table top reset / power button, or RilexAwhile has one that allows for moving the headphone / microphone jack, 2 USB ports, and the power / reset button to a table top button. LAOMAO has a couple that are a bit more.. luxury styled too.

3. Dyre Straits

I found the culprit! After removing the mobo from the case, and, testing the mobo with just the bare minimums connected, I went ahead and connected the hard drives and the new GPU. It worked like a charm! While it was out, I also applied new thermal compound to the CPU.

So, since it was working so well outside the case, I went to put it back in and, from another angle, I noticed an off-set that was in a location it wasn't supposed to be in! I removed it from that location and put it at the rear location of the mobo...where it needs to be and, as I'm typing, the system is back inside the case and running until the son gets home and does the rest of what he wants to do with it.

Sometimes, it's the little things!

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

you'd be amazed how many people either misplace the offset/standoffs, leaving the board to short out.... granted some people have ran years without any reported problems... but then suddenly fail to work at all, all of a sudden... or they changed something and blame the new part when it was indeed the board.

5. Tipstaff

Offsets, screws... in the older cases.. I had one customer who wanted to build his own.. he didn't even use the offsets. Placed the board right against the metal base. That was fun. :rolleyes:

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Glad you fixed it, I hate aligning the offsets with the board cut outs when building systems. LOL.

7. Judas

ahaha... that's film worth discovery...

8. Dyre Straits

Was the mobo OK after that?!

9. Tipstaff

Not in his... case (pardon the pun). Instead of causing a short in a trace like yours did, for him the solder points from the mobos ATX connector were in direct contact with the case, along with a lot of other solder points. He turned it on, and tick tick.. boom (his words).

I mean.. he should have known something was off. Like, why doesn't the back panel fit in the square? So.. he left the backplate off. Why can't I screw the motherboard down? So.. he got longer screws. When he first came in he was all calm and such. After inquiring about the build, he says, "It's in the car. I think you sold me a bad case, because it blew the motherboard and power thiny up." LOL!

10. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I feel sorry for him. But honestly people should at the very least watch a guide to building a PC on Youtube if they want to do it themselves, if they don't want to do proper research. You can't just go in blind. There's a reason people get paid to do it. It's either that with anything or learn hard and sometimes expensive lessons.

11. Judas

no different then the guy with the dremel used to cut into the case and board and manually solder "ram" onto the mainboard...

like wtf... where do these people even get an idea like that...

Tipstaff likes this.