ISA SB LOOOVE

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Zarathustra, May 27, 2002.

1. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

I've been a nostalgia box recently so I can play old Glide games and play demos from the early 90s. I've already discussed here how I obtained an Quantum3D Obsidien2 X-24 for the Glide part. What I have been tackling most recently has been sound in straight DOS. The $7 C-Media soundcard had DOS drivers but for the life of me I couldn't get anything to recognize it. I then swapped in a SB Live! Platinum (sans Live!Drive), found 3rd party SB16 emulation drivers and got DOS games like Duke3D to work just fine. But the demos still wouldn't use it. So I went rummaging through a friend's spare parts room and came across this:

[​IMG]

Ahhh the greatest of all ISA soundcards, the SB AWE32, complete with WaveBlaster header and SIMM slots. There is definitely something cool about a soundcard that has a IDE controller builtin :) Well after digging around to find proper DOS drivers, this thing works like a dream. Hell it even has the same sound quality in Win98SE playing through the box's $3 USB speakers as the Live! hehe. Now I'm going to look for more 30pin SIMMs for this thing, 8meg just isn't enough if I plan to use it more ;)

2. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

I got one of those lying around somewhere, lol, have fun with yours.

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

It sure brings back some memories, I haven't seen one of those in ages!

4. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Elite Bastard

RH 7.3 doesn't auto detect it....damn non-PnP. Heh gotta find Linux drivers now :)

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Heh-heh-heh...

..you'se gonna have the fastest old box around!

That sounds like a fun project, hmmmm......