I've come back from the mountain..

Discussion in 'Heavenly Visions & Echoes' started by cbeasley0, Sep 5, 2009.

1. cbeasley0

cbeasley0 Temerarious Technophile

and I've stolen a booze cup!

I've been a bit MIA for a month or two; class is back in swing, time management has gotten worse, etc etc.

However, I am taking a basic entry level 3d class where we've been learning lightwave. The stuff we've been making has been lackluster, basic shapes.

I kicked it up a notch. I decided to start using the basic projects as a basis to make actual cool things. I'm using lightwave to create the low res forms, then throwing it into Zbrush (low res program to high res) for detail work. Then I decimate the poly count, since i'm sculpting in the millions instead of hundred, and bring it back into lightwave for rendering.

We were told to make tea cupts using bevel and lathe methods. I said "F that" and decided to make a greek kylix instead. This is the low res version, since I had to cut rending time to like 10 min. I'll render out a much higher res one soon and port it here as well, so you can see more detail.

Here's what I have so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the youtube from zbrush when it was a WIP:

Heres a link to the the larger HQ.

Again, only 10 min on the render. I'll put the realistic high res up after its done.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. cbeasley0

What you're supposed to see, and what the high res will show, is the lower base is cracked dry earth. As you go up, you see foliage and root, then the major tree roots and trunks surrounding a larger tree, and then the actual cup is the tree canopy.

Can't really see any of that on this low res render.

3. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

looking good :)

4. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

Not what I expected under the thread title... :)

The model looks good, the base of that thing seems pretty detailed. And I like the material too.

5. cbeasley0

I put it on the burner again the other day, but after about 10 min my system just shuts down. I think when it gets under load, my motherboard freaks out. I just ordered a new one and it's in the mail, but still, its kinda a bummer. I wanted to finish this thing up soon.

I have about 1200 watts of power with two cards, but I think my motherboard had a short and drew too much power. Atleast thats what 4 graphics cards and 3 other power supplies are telling me haha.

6. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Looking good man and even though i dont know much baout what exactly you are doing i can already see the effort you have put into it :) hope you get your mobo. sorted out so we can see the final result :)

7. cbeasley0

Turns out the reason I was getting shutdowns was because my cpu was idling @ around 80 C and peaking at 130 C. Mobo was shutting it down when it was under load during rendering. I feel a bit retarded I didnt even notice. Picking up this badboy today to fix the problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to go the "windtunnel-esque mini hadron-collider" route.

8. charm_quark

charm_quark incognito

looks totally cool!