kX driver and Windows 7 64 Bit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by T3rm1, Sep 26, 2009.

1. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

Hello!
    I'm using Windows 7 Prof 64 Bit Edition with my Audigy 2 ZS. I have more than 4 GB RAM which makes it impossible for me to use the original Creative driver (microphone doesnt work on 64 bit system with more than 4 GB RAM). So I came here again with the hope of a fully functional driver. Unfortunately it seems I can't get it working.
    I uninstalled all previous drivers first and then installed the latest kX driver. I can hear the Windows sounds but if I try to play a music file it says there is no audio device. The second issue is, again, the microphone. It just doesn't work. Are there any settings in the kX Mixer I have to configure? The only thing I did is loading the 5.1 settings.
    In addition Windows shows a disabled speaker symbol in the traylist. When I click on it it tries to resolve a problem but fails doing so.
    Are these all known issues or am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks for any help!

Kind regards
    T3rm1

2. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Version 3550 is working fine under windows 7 64 bit. You should select mastermixer as primary device and increase buffer size in kx to avoid pops and clicks.
    For the microphone, you have to tweak the DSP, of user kxmixer's ac97 settings.
    Search for a kx DSP guide, try to understand how the DSP works and you will realize that you can do a lot of things. :)

3. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

Hi trex_daemon,
    thanks for your help. After telling Windows to use the mastermixer the audio control works as it should. In addition I was able to configure the microphone as well :D (always played around with the settings that had a microphone symbol ... how should I know it's the AC97 setting ^^).
    There is only one problem left. As you said the sound is clicking a lot and it doesn't sound very well. I tried to increase the buffer but it didn't help at all. I rightclicked on kX chose Settings->Buffer settings and set the output buffer to 16368 (~17,05 ms) but I can't hear a difference.

4. Froze-T

Froze-T New Member

AW: kX driver and Windows 7 64 Bit

my buffer settings are:
    512KB
    9600 bytes (~10.0 ms)
    20480 bytes
    8 buffers
    512 samples

i have the problem that the 5.1 doesnt work....
    i cant hear something at the same time on all speakers
    can anyone help me??

5. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

I found another very annoying issue with the driver. There is a (huge) delay in sound output. You are able to notice this best in games where a sound is played when you move you mouse over a button. I compared the original Creative driver with the kX driver and the delay is about 200 ms. I remember I had the same problem 2 years ago when I first tried this driver. Is there any way to get rid of this huge delay?

6. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Well I haven't had any probs when using Wave 4/5... the only one that gives clean sound for me in Win 7, MasterMixer does give sound but the sound quickly becomes distorted even at rather low volumes.

7. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

Yep, MasterMixer gives a lot clicks. I tried 2/3 and there are no clicks but the sound quality is really bad. MasterMixer sounds great and gives me surround sound. I wasn't able to get the same sound quality with 2/3 :(
    The only reason I'm still using XP now is that there is no sound driver for Win7 that actually works (be it Creative or kX).
    I hope these issues will get fixed very soon.

8. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Did you even try Wave 4/5? Or do you have a 5.1 setup? I suppose that would be a reason cuz I think 4/5 is meant for stereo (in my case headphones) setup. I have no lag, no clicks, no distortion, better sound quality than in XP (deeper bass & better/clearer treble), perfectly working 3D positional sound, the best audio experience I've ever heard when using Wave 4/5, setting Windows 7 64bit volume control to 33% volume level and then adjusting kX volume slider to suitable levels (in my case 13 ~ 24 depending on what I'm doing/listening to). Surrounder is set to "on" using 2.1 profile for working 3D positional sound and reverb and EQ and other plugins configured as desired. The soundstage is so good despite I'm using closed headphones, they remind me a lot of open/dynamic headphones but aren't leaking in the ambient noises. :p

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  9. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

Yes, I have a 5.1 surround system. I haven't tried 4/5 but 2/3 and the quality was really bad. I'll try 4/5 but I doubt it will reduce the sound delay. I wonder why nobody else realized this huge delay yet. I cannot be the only one having this problem because Creative driver have no delay at all so the problem is either the driver or my settings (haven't changed them though except for the 5.1 setting).

10. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Yes mate, 2/3 sounds bad here too, they all differ in sound quality.

11. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

Just tested it. 2/3 and 4/5 is same quality as far as I can tell but delay is still there. I guess I have to wait for a proper Creative driver then :( Too bad kX driver doesn't work as intended.

12. cfp090

cfp090 New Member

Windows7 x64 and Audigy1, i7, headphones connected to the rear with front-rear swapping enabled, output to master mixer. I don't get the delay issue, as far as quality is concerned it seems more or less like 4/5.

If i try to edit the dsps (or just double click on "fxmix2") it may work one or two times but then the system freezes and i have to restart it ... if I don't mess with the dsps the system is completely stable. Editing the surrounder+ is possible without issues instead. When I used kx drivers on xp 32bit and the same soundcard all worked ok (i had an older processor and <2gb of ram thou).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  13. SilentSource

SilentSource New Member

Gotta love this forum. :)
    Thanks for the tips in this thread!
    Finally I got the kX drivers to work on my system (Windows 7 x64, 8 Gb RAM, Audigy 2 ZS, 2.1 speaker system)

I'm using the SPDIF/AC3 output and it sounds fantastic - at least to my ears.
    No lag, and no pops or cracks.

So thanks again. :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  14. 2m4Y

2m4Y New Member

...I have another problem, tried to set up my SB Live 5.1 digital under Win7 64bit, but, It always shows that I have attached 7.1 speakers, can't find my mic, & ingame when playing CoD WaW after few seconds I got black screen & that's all, when alone it works, what to doo, tnx in advance...

Cheers...

15. KoZZo

KoZZo New Member

Hello !
    I've got a problem with the DSP - same as cfp090... Double click on any Volume, fxmix2 freezes the system, have to restart.
    Win7 64, Audigy 2 ZS...
    Thanks for any help

16. GeniusAction

GeniusAction New Member

Hello !
    I've got a problem with the DSP - same as KoZZo Double click on fxmix2, reverb, chorus, virtual51, headphone plugin freezes the system, have to restart.
    Win7 64 8gb ram Audigy 2 ZS notebook.....
    Thanks for any help

17. emigrante

emigrante New Member

AW: kX driver and Windows 7 64 Bit

Long ago, but how did you install the driver? When i try, it says:
    error selecting device

and it is not possible to install the driver on win 7 64bit :tears:

thanks and regards,
    tim

18. hearthat

hearthat New Member

Hi

I assume the card is recognized in device manager?

I just re-energized my system after a year of downtime. I had been running it for a while after installing Win7x64 but wasn't using the audio of the machine at all since the Win7x64 upgrade. When I decided to return to using my machine for audio stuff I noticed that sound was actually being handled by the built-in "HD Audio" and Windows 7 had gone ahead and installed the "default" drivers for the as yet, unused, soundblaster Audigy 11 ZS.

I went into the Bios of the machine and disabled the "azalia codec" (in other words the built in audio of the motherboard) I then installed KX Driver version 3551 from the kx EXE. I didnt bother doing anything in device manager either. Just ran the KX installer.

I am wondering if perhaps your Motherboards built in audio is somehow making things hard for you?

kami
    Vancouver
    Canada