kX Newbie can't figure out how to set up their sound

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaWrecka, Dec 31, 2019.

1. DaWrecka

DaWrecka New Member

Title's a little disingenous, in that I've been using kX Project drivers on my SB Live in my secondary PC for a while now. But I've recently started using them on the Audigy 2 ZS in my gaming machine too, since they're more reliable than the pap Creative produces. But I'm having problems setting them up the way I'd like. I could do this with the Creative drivers - at least, when the Creative drivers didn't decide to flip me off. What I want from my Audigy is to be able to achieve the following simultaneously:
    • Listen to the line-in without recording it.
    • Record the mic without listening to it. (at least, without listening to it outside specific situations)
    Additionally, so that I can use two pairs of headphones, (one wired, one wireless) I want to be able to do one of the following at the same time as the above:
    • Copy all of the audio output coming through the Audigy - wave-out and line-in - to my Realtek sound chip
    • Output the same audio from at least two of the Audigy's different speaker outputs.
    I'm not using surround, so having all audio copied to all other speaker outputs wouldn't be a problem in itself.
    So far, I've managed to achieve the following:
    • Listening to the line-in without recording it, and recording the mic without listening to it, and piping the line-in to the Realtek - but not the wave-out. (this means that while the line-in audio is audible through the wireless headphones, any audio played from the Audigy itself, such as games, is not.)
    • Recording the mic without listening to it, and listening to line-in, and piping line-in and wave-out to the Realtek - but the wave-out is being recorded at the same time as mic. (this means that my wave output is being transmitted to other people when I use voice chat)
    Now, I could probably pull things off well-enough by using the mic input on the Realtek and then just have the Audigy pipe all output to the Realtek; but my hope is to be able to run as much as possible from the Audigy alone - and if I can get both headphones through the Audigy, to turn the Realtek off entirely.

My Google-fu is weak and the kX Mixer interface confuses me. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

2. peate

peate Active Member

Ideally, I would build a custom DSP from scratch using ProFX plug-ins.

If you're using the default set up, just remember that the controls on the ins and outs page of the mixer controls what you hear, wave, midi, AC97 (Mic, line in on the card) whereas the record page controls what gets recorded or heard by others. (I've never used such a set-up, just going from memory). What are you using to connect the two sound cards? You don't need the Realtek.

Use front speakers output for regular output, rear speakers output for headphones, and Center/sub for your wireless. Then just send whatever signal you want to the corresponding output. That's where building a custom DSP works so well. Using SRC plug-in for wave out and ADC for Line or Mic, connect them to the Mixer MX6 and then choose what get routed where.

DaWrecka likes this.
  3. DaWrecka

DaWrecka New Member

...oh. That was more painless than I thought.

From the DSP default, I routed the 10 Band EQ output to Rear... and that was apparently all I needed to do. I plug my wired headphones into the rear output, wireless into the front, ("Swap Front and Rear" mode is turned on, and I don't need "regular output" since I don't plug speakers into this machine, just headphones) and set the AC97 Source to Mic. And that, it would appear, is that; Audacity records only microphone when set to "Recording Mixer", so I can use that for VoIP, line-in and wave-out are audible through both sets of headphones but mic is not, and the fact that the line-in doesn't register on Recording Mixer isn't a problem any more because I only needed that for listening to it on the Realtek - which is now surplus to requirements and I can turn it off next time I go into the BIOS.

That DSP interface is terrifying though.

To answer your question of how I was connecting the two cards, (well, I use the term "cards" loosely since the Realtek is on the motherboard, but anyway) redundant as it now is; I just went into the Windows sound control panel, and on the properties for the kX Recording Mixer, set it to "Listen to this device".

4. peate

peate Active Member

:D

It is at first, but if you build one from scratch, all of a sudden the light comes on and it becomes a snap. If you Google kX DSP, there are still some examples and pics to guide you.

5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

Funnily enough, messing the kX DSP back in the day helped me learn signal flow and how to use things like Reaktor, and even hardware patchbays and the like. Very powerful tool once you get your head around it.

peate likes this.