kX with Windows 98?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by madox, Oct 15, 2009.

1. madox

madox New Member

Hi,

I'm not sure if it is still possible to use the kX drivers with Windows 98. I can see some mention of 98 being supported, though my attempt at installing 3541 has failed. I have also found some discussion regarding WIn 98 support being dropped.

If Win 98 is no longer supported, is there an older version which I can install?

I use kX drivers with my 10k1 card on XP with my own computer, though I am currently trying to set up a friend's (old) computer for his home studio with a spare card which I had lying around. I'm house sitting for my friend atm, while he is on his honeymoon. I'd really like to have a computer set up for sequencing his gear while I'm staying at his place, and think it would also be nice if he could come home to a studio that is up and running.

Cheers,

madox

2. peate

peate Active Member

3. madox

madox New Member

Hi Peate,

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply. I'm off to give this a try.

Cheers,

madox

4. madox

madox New Member

Hi,

I'm still having troubles with kX in Win 98. Currently, when I boot, I get a message pop up from kx Setup saying 'Failed to initialize your Audio Card. Reinstall drivers ...'.

I had first attempted to install 3541, which failed of course. I was also not able to uninstall 3541, as the uninstaller requires a newer version of Windows.

I then tried to install 3537, as suggested. When rebooting, I was prompted by Windows to install drivers for the new device. I directed the installer to the kX Project directory, and kX.inf. This found two apparently identical device drievers which could be installed. I chose the first one listed, then rebooted as prompted.

Next boot up, I did the same thing for my Game Port. No reboot required.

After that, there is a long pause while the Windows Explorer presents itself, and I get the afore mentioned message from kX Setup regarding the failure to initialize the card.

I wondered if my initial attempt to install 3541 may be interfering with 3537. I don't think 3541 got very far in its installation though, so I'm not sure if there were any registry changes, etc. I couldn't uninstall 3541, though I did delete what I could find of it in Program Files directory.

I have tried reinstalling 3537, though I get the same thing each time. Not sure what I can do to get this one running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

madox

edit - Update: even after I uninstall the 3537 drivers, and reboot, I still get the message pop up from kX Setup saying 'Failure to initialize your Audio Card ...' I'm not sure where this is coming from now.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. peate

peate Active Member

Are you using Win98 SE? kX will not work with anything older. Also there is a library you need to install with the driver but I forget if it comes with it. I also forgot what it was called. Maybe someone else will remember, I know there is one other user here who also uses Win98SE. It could also be a DirectX problem but I'm just guessing.

Sorry I can't be more helpful..

6. madox

madox New Member

Hi Peate,

Thanks for your input again. Yes, it is 98SE.

There was one update included with the kX driver download, entitled 'Quick fix for Win 98' or similar. I believe it was a Microsoft update. I have also installed the unofficial Win 98 service pack, which has several patches.

I'll try to read through the kX main site, and see if I can find any further info. I didn't find it so easy to get OS specific info from there, though. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places.

Thanks again,

madox

edit - I have also installed DirectX 9c, so I think that should be covered. I'll see about running a DirectX diagnostic.

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I never used kX on Windows 98 myself, but:

With some versions of kX, you needed to install the MFC libs separately.
    - This site appears to still have them: K X P R O J E C T

Also, I think you need to use kx98.sys (renamed to kx.sys) instead of kx.sys.
    - (that might be what the 'Quick fix for Win 98' does)

8. madox

madox New Member

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your help too.

The 'Quick fix' thing appears to be addressing something related to AC3 playback (I've forgotten already, though it didn't seem relevant to this).

I will try installing the MFCLibs you linked to. Thanks. I will have a look for the kX98.sys as well.

BTW, is there some documentation for this somewhere? I think the main kX site is focused on the current versions (understandably), and doesn't seem to have much material on 98.

After having uninstalled the 3537 drivers, I did a search for files including *kx*, which turned up quite a few files which appear to be from the 3537 installation (including kX Setup in C:\Windows\System i think).. Also, I checked my startup files in MSCONFIG, which listed the kX Mixer. As my start up error is from kX Setup, I guess something is tiggering it to run. I'm tempted to trash all the files which appear to be hang around from a previous installation, and see if it helps.

Cheers,

madox

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I do not know if there is anything that goes into the specifics of installing it on Win 98.

I would try installing kX, without installing the driver.
    Then rename kx.sys (in the kX 3537 folder), and replace it with kx98.sys (renamed to kx.sys). Then install the driver using the setup program in the 3537 folder.

BTW: Some people report that the install on Win98 is easier if you install 3434f first... Also, some people prefer 3534f (better ASIO performance) over 3537 (assuming that 3534f supports your card).

10. madox

madox New Member

Hi,

I have the driver working now. I manually installed the MFCLib dll's. Two of these were more recent replacements of existing dll's, and one was not initially present. I also replaced kx.sys with a renamed kx98.sys, as suggested.

A couple of other things which I did along the way, were disabling and removing any ACPI components I could find in BIOS or Windows system (there is something mentioned in the readme file about this), and once drivers were installed, I set the Windows multimedia properties to full hardware acceleration and best sample rate conversion (actually, from memory, I think these should be set to 5.1 speaker mode as well).

Anyway, drivers are running. I haven't done any customisations of the DSP section yet, though I do have things working.

Following the suggestion to replace kx.sys, some searching around for kx98.sys did turn up some related information here and there. There is mention of the 3534f version being used. Interesting that it has better ASIO performance. I'm going to stick with 3537 for now. I'm not sure what all the differences are, though I am satisfied at this stage.

Thanks again Peate and Russ. You have been a great help to me, and I dare say saved me much frustration. I doubt I would have got this one working without your help.

Cheers,

madox

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Glad we could help...

...and welcome to the forum :)

12. madox

madox New Member

Thanks dude. I seem to have some other software conflicts now. I'll try to work through these over the next couple of days. Some Windows components are throwing errors, and the kX mixer seems to perform some illegal operations. I suspect these are really Windows issues, and a reformat/reinstall may be in order.

Cheers

13. janez

janez Active Member

I´m just curious. If I may ask, why would anyone still use Win98. I would install xp on any machine with min 128MB and P2 300 Mhz or better. It saves a lot of trouble. Unless you have some really really important piece of hard or software that runs only under Win98.
    btw. there used to be a free protools version 5 that runs only on win98. I don´t know if its still around on the web.

14. Doug W

Doug W New Member

Madox,

A-kX an Introduction

I documented my setup of 2 sound cards with 98SE and kX. Just ignore the 2nd sound card part and much of it will apply. 3534f is still my version of preference for 98SE. Links are included to TravelRec's site where you can download that version. Lex Nahumury also has ProFX for 3534f.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009