Lack of Anti Aliasing (AA) Options for StarCraft II: ATI’s Official Response

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Jul 27, 2010.

1. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

they are actually pretty accomodating always with their games, SC2 runs on crap hardware at the least. FSAA itself is fairly intensive for years, it's definitely something people will end up using down the line when the hardware will be more powerful. So they will probably enable it later on. I blame ATi for not having the option enabled with a warning.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

GPU-75: ATI Catalyst? 10.7a Beta Driver

ATI Catalyst™ 10.7a beta driver features:

Starcraft II: Support for Anti-Aliasing through the ATI Catalyst Control Center when using a Windows® 7, Windows Vista® or Windows XP based system with an:
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5xxx series graphics card or ATI Radeon Mobility equivalent series of products
    ATI Radeon HD 4xxx series graphics card or ATI Radeon Mobility equivalent series of products
    ATI Radeon HD 3xxx series graphics card or ATI Radeon Mobility equivalent series of products
    ATI Radeon HD 2xxx series graphics card or ATI Radeon Mobility equivalent series of products
    Improved performance for Quad ATI CrossFireX™ for Eyefinity™ supported configurations

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

After having had time to spend a couple of hours straight with the game I have to say kudos to Blizzard for making the need for traditional antialiasing very, very slim. At least at the highest graphics settings there are shaders/filters that does away with any noticeable aliasing artifacts almost all the time. Perhaps in the lower graphics mode for cards that might too old to support all the bling but still have some bandwidth left to use AA it could be great to have it available. But not here and I've always been keen to have AA on in games.

4. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

8x FSAA at 1080p makes the game looks REALLY smooth, but hits performance hard for me. I'm doing 2x and running about 35-45fps usually

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I agree with this, 10.7 hotfix giving me crashing problems in some games so I rolled back to 10.6 with no SCII AA it still looks pretty similar to when I ran it 4xAA.

6. pigdog

pigdog New Member

:lol:That's exactly what I thought.

As well, I'm running a 5850 (now with 10.7 added goodness) and I'm getting a good combination of fps and eye-candy.

7. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Probably a lot to do with this was that AMD did not want there to be AA support during the launch of SC2 so that review sites that usually cover things at launch would not show GTX 400 cards (even GTX 460) destroying a 5870. A small delay gets past around 80% of those reviews.. but I'd gladly consider the statement that AMD was "working" on improving the AA performance.

8. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

eh they can't figure it out so quick, it'll be fine. This is nothing compared to the 3DMark fraudulent scores back in the day with Detonator drivers

9. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

Well considering its a public statement its written by publicists whose job it is to spin it as positively as they can (oftentimes not possessing the technical know how of how things actually work) and not coming from actual technicians working to solve the problem.

I think more people need to realize to make those distinctions when reading public statements.

Also I think more people need to realize that publicists are the scum of the earth, deliberately lying to obscure the truth,. only second to lawyers and politicians, but definitely down there with the paedophiles, furries and Apple fans. :D

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The publicists work for someone. They did not decide to start spreading lies for no reason.

11. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

:rofl:

12. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

13. rubber

rubber New Member

This game shouldn't so demanding.

14. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

it's CPU demanding, but it still runs acceptably unlike crysis!

15. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Lol, Crysis, just saying that word makes me laugh now, "Crysis" :lol:

But to be fair it was a good game, story and game play wise at least. I rather enjoyed Crysis.

16. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

story was mediocore, second one was terrible story. sick gameplay though, had much more fun than halo! but that game is just inefficient coding!

17. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Well , my favourite game made by crytek is FarCry 1 , interesting and thrilling story with emersing atmosphere.