Laptop Advice required

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by Atom80, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Atom80

Atom80 New Member

Hi guys and girls

New to forum, new to gaming technology, so go gentle !

I am looking to purchase a Gaming Laptop, have budget of £1k-£1.5K

I am considering either Alienware (seem expensive), Gigabyte, MSI or ASUS,,, I have read quite a lot of reviews but would like to get some proper user experiences and feedback..

Any recommendations or insights would be appreciated

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Personally i'd favor Asus every time, anyone I've recommended an asus laptop to for gaming has always come back later and said they've loved it, even after several years.

However personally, I can never "actually" recommend a laptop for gaming ever.. or even heavy lifting.... period. IT doesn't appear to matter how much effort any single manufacturer puts into it, they just are a waste of cash compared to a desktop alternative for significantly less cost and much higher performance.

Unless you absolutely NEED the portability at all times, there really isn't any reason to get a laptop over a desktop.

If you do need portability sometimes, I usually recommend jump on a more mediocre laptop, something with lets say a intel hd 4xxx series igpu.. either i3 or i5... considerably cheaper and still able to muscle through most everything without to much difficulty, then use the remaining cash to build a decent desktop.

Frankly I've only ever seen one person TRY to use and play a gaming laptop on the go, traveling.. and usually the batteries just can't keep them playing at all long, like playing the first sega game gear.... eat batteries like crazy even in power savings mode.

laptop lifespans are significantly shorter, and it doesn't matter what manufacturer you go with, the highest laptops have among the highest failure/issue rates due to such a constrained and ultra hot setup. Heat kills, the hotter it is.. the faster it tends to die, and for a laptop, the repeated expansion and contraction of the components brings you closer and closer to that inevitable end.

Granted you might get lucky, might get 5 years out of the sucker before things go awry. It's just that when things do, you pretty much always have to send it in for repair, and anyone I know that has had to do that never gets a proper working unit back, desktops on the other hand, very easy to repair and upgrade provided it's built decently.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

A couple of days and no enthusiasm, I guess that we've all turned into a bunch of old farts who no longer get excited by Alienware and similar gear.

But it is pretty true. Most "gaming" laptops provide, at best, mediocre performance and can't always perform at their native resolution on the day they are purchased, let alone any future time. The difference between entry level and all but the very high end solutions are minute, and the very high end, I believe, falls outside your price range.

Therefore, I would suggest getting a "normal" laptop (if it has to be a laptop) with dedicated graphics. Mine is a combo of a dual core Intel CPU and GeForce 730M. I think that you can find similar configurations at reasonable prices. It runs games. Compromises with the graphics quality are necessary, but they would be necessary even on a more expensive supposedly "gaming" machine.

So take a look around and see what you like and we'll be glad to help you pick the best one for you out of them. :) As for brands, everybody has personal preferences. I like Lenovo and ASUS and some friends of mine are very loyal Toshiba users. :)

4. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

the reviews on this site are quite trustworthy as to quality and 'worthiness'.
    I was actually looking at buying a new laptop and my money would've gone to the MSI GS70. I don't know how much that would be where you live though...

5. IvanV

That's a nice laptop. :) It does pretty much confirm what Judas and I have said, though. It's a machine that's supposed to be for gaming, which comes with some pretty impressive hardware (a proper i7, lots of RAM, SSDs), but the heart of a gaming system, the graphics card, despite being one of the best mobile GPUs, would only qualify as entry level in the desktop world (the closest desktop card to GF 765M is GF 650 Ti, a $115 graphics card, that's actually slightly faster).

I don't know if there are better deals to be found in the UK, but these are the prices that a quick search showed me.

So MSI GS70 is one nice solution that does fit in your budget, just don't expect it to tun blockbuster games on maximum settings.

6. Atom80

Atom80 New Member

Thanks Judas. Yes unfortunately I do need mobility, not while travelling as such, but for lonely evenings in hotel room as I work on road a lot.

I considered ASUS but chassis design is limited (just G750 in UK) and they look quite expensive for the spec with not as many features that seem to be available from other manufacturers,,,

Thanks for you comments :)

7. Atom80

Atom80 New Member

Thanks Neshi and IvanV. I think the MSI GS70 looks great design and has some very positive reviews both for performance and style.

The 2 versions I can see in UK seem big price difference, £400 for 1 additional SSD and 8GB ram extra, so the cheaper unit looks lots better value... or have I missed something critical?

8. IvanV

I think that that's about it as far as differences go and I agree that the upgrades don't justify the price difference. It should be checked, but I'd expect the weaker unit to be user upgradeable to the same specs. :)

BTW, take a look at this (review contains comparison with GS70, BTW :)). You can pick your own configuration on the manufacturer's web site and get the equivalent configuration to the GS70 for perhaps a couple of hundred pounds less and, which may be a plus and a minus, in a 13" body weighing only 2kg! They also have 15 and 17" inch options and they cost about the same. :) I'm not familiar with the brand, but Stu hasn't found too many things wrong.

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

having considered laptops in the event of going on trips and such..... i'd actually go without a gaming model and go with a general model capable of playing games "decently"

The latest intel HD4400 or HD4600 have actually done quite well and play very well on a 1366x768 display resolution, and even manage to play some relatively new games AT 1080p while attached to a hdtv.

You get a good balance, those suckers will pump out the minimum 30fps frame rates in almost all the cases, while maintain the longest and cooler operating conditions.

Don't really need a gaming machine to game... just so long as the igpu and the cpu are up to the simple tasks.

The last machine I sold to a user who wanted a good battery life, and something that should last quite some time ended up with an Asus K55A series laptop (15.6") that packed an i5 along with a intel HD4xxx igpu that could play games quite well considering it's performance level.

10. Atom80

Atom80 New Member

Right OK.

So after looking a bit further, I see that MSI have some cheaper laptops that may do the job.

GP60 and GP70 models....

However, from the tech specs that I can see listed on Amazon and Scan, it looks like they don't have any operating system ! For non technical person this seems scary, is it?

11. IvanV

Those are okay, but they fall into the "anything with a dedicated graphics" category that I was talking about previously (despite MSI calling them "Gaming Series"). The games will run and you'll be able to have fun on the go, but it will be a lower resolution and details. If that's okay, then they are good solutions and the price isn't too bad. You'd have to supply your own copy of Windows, though, and for a couple of hundred pounds more, the GS70 has around twice the GPU power, so pick wisely. :)

Those two laptops can come with different screen resolutions. For gaming on those GPUs, lower resolutions are fine. For anything else, I'd really avoid the 1366*768 screens that some GP60s have.

EDIT: Installing Windows on a laptop yourself isn't too hard. These laptops actually come with optical drives, so Windows itself is easy. The problem are drivers. You have them on MSI's web site, but usually less essential components (network cards, touchpads etc) can come from different manufacturers and you have to know exactly which one you've got, which is a bit tricky, although I think I saw an application the other day for exactly that purpose.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  12. Atom80

Atom80 New Member

Yes, it looks like MSI using the GP range as entry "gaming", but its still a performance machine I guess? Features like the Steelseries keyboard aren't available on the GP models and I suppose the chassis will be plastic rather than Aluminium?

Also regarding the screen resolutions, it seems that all higher end models from the MSI range are FHD screens, in fact the specs I can see for GP models are also FHD (1920x1080)...

My head says I want a GS Stealth model.... but my wallet says it should be GP!

I would be perfect if MSI had Stealth model in 15.6" screen as I think 17" is always a bit tricky to use on the move...

Does anyone know if MSI do the GS model in 15.6"?

13. Atom80

Atom80 New Member

It would be perfect if MSI had Stealth model in 15.6" screen as I think 17" is always a bit tricky to use on the move...

Does anyone know if MSI do the GS model in 15.6"?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  14. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Thread died eh? Well I'm sorry that no one knew the answer to your question and neither do I but I like Judas would recommend ASUS for gaming, though MSI is also really good. Which laptop did you end up buying?

15. aquafeb

aquafeb Banned

I personally prefer Dell Inspiron or HP elitebooks. Though there are other substitutes as well. There are some budget Laptops for $400 in the marketplace. You must keep your main requirements in mind while going shop for a new laptop.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  16. Atom80

Atom80 New Member

No Problem and thanks for your concern Callendor. I actually went for Gigabyte P35K from COUK as there was significant price drop making this best value for spec. Very Happy with my new companion:D

Calliers likes this.
  17. baranbaran

baranbaran New Member

I agree with the third comment about that