laptpissues

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Assomeof u know i am moving to a new place. i am currently using my main laptop without external eyboardfr the first time in years.
    The laptop still has the noise coming from one of the fans I assume the gpu. what I noticed though is that the keyboard is not woring properly. Keys refuses to register or tae long presses to register or repeated presses.
    I wonder if they two are connected soehow.

Anyway I miht be selling a used laptop soon.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

You don't say! :D

Happens albeit rarely on my work laptop as well. Last time was yesterday, I was running two VMs plus a browser with ~15 tabs and maybe one or two smaller applications, and the poor thing only has 8GB RAM. As soon as I shut down one of those VMs, the laptop started working fine again.

I'm not saying it's the same with you, but the coinciding fan noise does suggest that something was hogging the machine. Unless the fan noise is the "bad fan noise" and not the "something's toasty in there fan noise". But even in that case, I'd look at the usage status for all of the subsystems.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Some people type like this all the time and it's not a bad keyboard....

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there are WAY too many laptops that out of the box have what appears to be polling issues or just huge latency issues, like either another piece of software or hardware is interfering resulting in huge delays registering key presses and even ignoring many like seeing more than one key being pressed and only acknowledging the last one (resulting in letters being lost).

Depending the design used, some laptops still use a PS/2 touchpad/keyboard which is usually something i see as being a cause for weirdness, it still certainly happens with the USB connections too.

Most often it's the choice of software or something absolutely ruining the systems response times. Interestingly with latency monitor, sometimes you can track it down and i've found that the very software used to by say dell or toshiba for said device was causing the problem, removing their 3rd party bullshit can fix it sometimes. Another is Nvidia's driver causing it, which is very annoying as trying to eliminate gets far more difficult.

Usually if i'm drawing blanks, i'll perform a clean install of windows without hooking up to the internet so that it's pure and fresh and free of almost anything. If all works fine, then i manually download without connecting that specific machine to the internet, and individually install necessary drivers and software testing between until i find the culprit.

The last machine if i recall correctly was having issues caused by an AHCI driver being installed that was causing system responsiveness to crater under specific circumstances. Reverting back to the windows version resolved it. It took a fresh install to find it.

5. Trusteft

This is a 2014 machine. It didn't use to have this problem back then.

6. Judas

certainly, most companies that launch a product DON'T have a problem to start with, but their bloatware and other software they insist on installing, and toshiba being by far one of the worst, tend to end up being the root cause of problems as time goes on, specially after any usually problem free updates are installed that don't agree with said software. All the OEMs are guilty of insisting that the environment they setup will remain static and by their standards, with total disregard for necessary updates or changes in the platform in some manner that doesn't agree with their own usually forgotten and dilapidated software that they refuse to improve/update alongside.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Trusteft

This is not a Toshiba. This is a XMG machine without any bloatware. I don't think it's a software issue.

8. Judas

i was using toshiba as an example.

try reseating the keyboard/touchpad cables (clean them out)

9. Trusteft

Well this can't be good.
    [​IMG]

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

No... Not usually.

11. Judas

usually means that the drive with an OS on it isn't powering up or has been disconnected in the event that you were toying around inside. Otherwise it's usually a drive failure.

12. Trusteft

It's the laptop's 512GB m.2 SSD Samsung XP941 (MZHPU512HCGL) - PCI-Express x4, but after I switch it off and on it proceeds to run just fine.

13. Trusteft

I am begiinning to think it has something to do with the 980m.
    Which isn't exactly crazy since the noise comes from its area/fan.
    After the latest BSOD I noticed the temperature being (open hardware monitor) at 85c, with utilization at 0-2% (idle looking at this forum).
    I remember being it at around 60C when playing games some time last year so....yeah.
    I am going to have to open it, though i have no idea where to find any replacement fan if that's what's needed.