Last display of the Avro Vulcan

Discussion in 'Heavenly Visions & Echoes' started by MIG-31, Oct 5, 2015.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Spent a whole day at Shuttleworth Old Warden yesterday to see the Finale display of the Avro Vulcan.

Dyre Straits and IvanV like this.
  2. MIG-31

Camera is a Panasonic Lumix (A little old but still does an adequate job)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IvanV likes this.
  3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Those are some pretty good photos. :) It's an interesting plane, I stumbled upon it some time ago (maybe it's not the first time you posted about it). It's a pity that it's getting grounded mainly because, well, as far as I understood, people are no longer willing to maintain it.

4. MIG-31

On 15 May 2015 it was announced that 2015 would be XH558's last flying season, due to the fact the three companies assisting the project with technical expertise were unwilling to support the aircraft beyond that, meaning it would no longer have the necessary CAA approval to fly. According to the Trust, the companies arrived at the decision for two reasons - they were now entering uncertain territory regarding predicting future safety risks to continued flight due to the fact XH558 had already performed 10% more flying hours than any other Vulcan, and secondly, the increasing difficulty in obtaining the necessary expertise, particularly with regard to the engines.

I think it has one final flight around GB coming up as a Finale Flight only, To say good bye I suppose.

Which makes it a very great shame as it was a 10 mins of pleasure to see its finale display.

5. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

It looks so slow. :/

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I recall seeing her emerge from low hanging clouds, glowing like gold in the light of afternoon sun, breaking through a light shower, like a great bird, silently passing over heard till we heard the roar of ancient engines, gulping air, spewing exhaust and projecting enormous power, it stirred my soul and I was transformed from deep in my heart by the experience. The Gods of the air may fly no more, but I can still smell the burning kerosene odor as she passed back into the dense clouds. Good by old girl, she remains a symbol of courage and honor in war and peace.[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Calliers, MIG-31 and IvanV like this.
  7. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Pretty pics.