Lenovo Y50 - 70

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by Trusteft, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I ordered it on Thursday , it arrived today (Saturday).

I7 4710hq, 8GB ram, 4gb ddr5 gtx 860m, 1tb SSHD (8gb), 15inch 1080p monitor, external optical.
    I haven't used it for anything yet. I had to download a ton of Windows 8.1 patches, decide which "bloatware" to keep and which to uninstall (haven't finished with that yet), update nvidia drivers etc.
    First impressions.

The system is beautiful. The photos don't do it justice. It's one of the most beautiful tech equipment I have ever bought. It feels very very sturdy, beautiful brushed metal all around (or whatever it is), a soft material near the keyboard where your hands would touch when typing some times. It doesn't seem to have an issue with fingerprints, but large dust particles, love it. It's heavy, well, it's 2.6 kilos, but it feels heavier.

The monitor sucks. It's better than the monitor on my Compaq Presario from 2002, but not by much at least in terms of viewing angles without the color shifting. I haven't played any games or movies yet.
    It's not a deal break for me yet, I will update when I have test it a bit more.

The keyboard is..well, I like it. There is something about it which I can't pinpoint yet, but I love touching it.
    The backlighting on the keyboard (off, 1, 2) works very well, although it doesn't show on these photos.

The touchpad works ok I guess. I was never a fan of them and I plan on using a mouse when I finish installing everything on it.

Sound/noise. When the cpu (haven't tried the gpu yet) is on load, the fans can be heard but barely and the noise is a very "smooth" barely noticable windy sound. If loading the GPU does about the same noise, I highly doubt one would hear them when doing something like playing games or watching/listening movies/music. Still, I have to try it with the GPU under load to know.

I know it doesn't matter, but, I am very serious when I say it is a beautiful piece of equipment.

Here are some lousy photos I took, and I do mean lousy, the colors look awful and the red lights look like pink paint. In reality they look much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tipstaff and MIG-31 like this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Looks like a sweet laptop. :)

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I saw some similarly designed Lenovos and they do look really good. :)

Do you know which variant of 860M have you got? There are two quite different GPUs by that name. 4GB should mean that you've got the stronger variant (GPU-Z can certainly tell).

EDIT: Actually, I can't really tell which 860M variant is better, one has a lot more shaders, but lower clock and older architecture (and the other is exactly the opposite, of course).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  4. Trusteft

It should be the 4GB, but I will check it out later.
    Any idea of a good free malware-free program which shows all hardware details of a pc?

5. IvanV

Hmm, I don' think so, not for the whole system, just specialized stuff for different components.

6. Trusteft

ok, according to gpu-z, it's the 4GB version.

I didn't have time to try many games, just two. POD, which obviously runs fine (GOG version), and Harbinger. Which I tried just for fun but it actually ran well. It can't run on Vista or 7, but apparently Windows 8.1 is fine with it. Go figure! I am actually glad because I haven't played it yet lol.

I also tried to install my D2D version of Wolfenstein (2009) but it looks like the (securom I think?) servers are down or whatever so no game for me! Got to love DRM!

Oh, the RAM is of 2 4gb dimms by Samsung.
    The sshd is by WD.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  7. IvanV

Well, that sucks! :( Did you check if there was a patch that removes the activation requirement? D2D changed owner a while ago and there were some official informations about the titles that would no longer be supported and what to do about it. I only ever bought one game from them and the key worked on Steam, so I wasn't affected.

How many shaders does the GPU have?

8. Trusteft

I have basically given up on D2D games, even though I haven't tried to install any other of them since the death of D2D. Which is one more reason why I avoid buying DRMed versions of games unless they are free or almost free.

Not sure about the shaders. I will take screenshots of CPUID and GPU-Z later today and post them here.

9. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

We just bought a Y70-70 on Friday, with a similar spec. I like it, but the lack of separate between the keyboard and keypad bugs me. It makes sense in the Y50 (based on the picture here) but on the Y70 there's lots of space at the sides of the keyboard and it would have been nice if some of that space was used to separate the keypad. I imagine Lenovo just prefers to manufacture one keyboard for both.

10. Trusteft

Hmm, so, on my gaming rig I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 10 Platinum. In theory it supports GPU encoding but in reality I keep getting unknown errors. (the error message says that lol). So I use CPU only.
    On my laptop, I have Movie Studio Suite 13. I bought it yesterday. Half of the program recognizes the 860m, but the other half doesn't. So while in the main options I can choose to use the nvidia (or even the intel 4600), when I go to actually render, it says "no gpu available" lol. I have set the nvidia control panel to prefer the nvidia card to the intel one. Otherwise not even the first half of the program sees the card. So I am forced to use the CPU on that too.

SO....for the same files and same settings, the C2Q 9550 @2.83Ghz takes ~15 min to render it into a 720p file. The laptop ~4 min +.
    WOW.
    I am going to do more tests these days.

I forgot to take notice the gpu shaders, will do next time.

11. Trusteft

I played a few games of World of Tanks. With Improved Graphics I get higher framerate than with "classic" on my desktop PC. I guess my main rig is a bit on the way out lol. (WoT is more CPU depended than GPU)
    As soon as I closed the game (about 40 min of gameplay) I checked the temps, the GPU was at 53C and falling, the CPU was 56C and falling. The SSHD was at 36 or something.

[​IMG]
    img hosting

12. Trusteft

I am having an issue and I can't figure it out.
    The laptop came with its own external usb powered optical drive. It's a dvd ram drive. When I plug it in the laptop (or even another system), it gets detected, but not the disc (I have tried 4 different ones so far). It shows like it is empty. I checked the discs on two different other optical drives, one usb and one internal, and they work fine there. I plugged in a different external optical drive to the laptop and they get detected just fine.
    Is it possible there is something other than a malfunctioning optical drive?

13. Trusteft

I want to add something.
    A negative part. While most of the laptop remains quite cool under load, a part of it gets quite warm. Not to the point that you can't touch it, but it is very noticeable. The worst thing is where it is, on the wasd keys and up, numbers, F keys and up to the left speaker area. If one is very sensitive, this might be a problem. It's not for me, but it is noticable.

Having said that, I am still impressed how cool the temps are for the components, GPU and CPU. while I haven't used any synthetic benchmarks (100% utilization for an hour or something), under gaming for a long time, and while as I mentioned parts of the keyboard do get hot, the GPU temps remain in the mid 50s (C) and CPU up to low to mid 60s (C). For me that's very impressive.

The SSHD is probably too early to talk about, in general it is ok, but, having used SSD in my shuttle mini pc (running Windows XP32), it is only a matter of time before I upgrade it to a SSD.

Still, in general, this is one cool/hot :p laptop and for the money a very good value.

14. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

loving the brushed aluminium(?) cover!
    very impressive specs too :) you must be stoked with it

Trusteft likes this.
  15. Trusteft

Well, it doesn't hurt! :)
    Strangely enough though, I ended up liking the keyboard even more than the material on the back.

16. Trusteft

Unfraking believable.
    As I mentioned the external usb dvd-ram drive isn't working properly.
    After trying several different computers to make sure it wasn't some freak case of incompatibility, I decided to contact technical support of Lenovo.
    I wont go into details of the whole communication between them, but the end result. Basically they want me to send them the whole package, including the laptop!!! just to check the external usb drive and if necessarily they will replace the drive.
    Am I the only one who finds it utterly stupid? To ship the laptop so that they check the external usb drive? I told them several times that there is nothing wrong with the actual laptop, but no, they refuse to accept anything but the whole package.

I will pay more to ship it than to buy a new one. And what about all the lost time? Who guarantees me that if they replace the whole thing, it won't have another problem, perhaps with the monitor or the keyboard or who knows what? UNFRAKING believable!

This is the first and the last time I buy anything Lenovo.

17. IvanV

It is really stupid. I'm sure that there is some twisted logic behind it (they probably don't want people to start opening the laptops and sending them individual parts, so they made a rule that the whole package has to be sent), but some common sense should be applied now and then. I guess the bigger the company the more rigid the rules.

Trusteft likes this.
  18. Trusteft

I am split up between leaving a negative review or not. I mean, it is a company policy, not a store policy, so I just don't feel comfortable about it.

Heh, who knew that the external, LG of all things, dvdrom drive I bought in 2008, would still serve me in (almost) 2015!