Linux - Bodhi vs Ubuntu vs Mint

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by dawgXdenta, Apr 22, 2014.

1. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta New Member

Hey guys, this might be a short thread, but i'll go ahead anyway.

I am using Linux Mint on my laptop, and I am trying to figure out what to go for, Mint, Ubuntu 14 or Bodhi.

Bodhi is pretty slick lightweight and fast.
    Mint is just a better version of Ubuntu.
    and then Ubuntu is old faithful, great stable and lots of support, only problem is the damn interface, which went the windows 8 way.

I am thinking particularly about my current distro, mint 15, which is no longer supported. I want the long haul and not to have to update every so often.

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I installed Mint for everyone at work, having previously used Windows. The transition was very painless, which is a big plus. Ubuntu has this weird default GUI that I don't like at all; it looks like it's designed for a tablet. It's all Ubuntu-based anyway, just friendly.
    So yeah, I'd say download the latest version of Mint and install that :)

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Why not go for Debian and configure it the way you want it yourself?

Ubuntu is based on Debian anyway.

4. ChristianC123

ChristianC123 New Member

The main difference between the two is how they are implemented in terms of the User Interface and support.Both Mint and Ubuntu use mostly free and open source software. Unlike Ubuntu, Linux Mint comes pre-installed with some proprietary software that most users tend to need, such as Flash, Java, audio and video codecs. Both distros come pre-installed with Libreoffice and Firefox browser.Both Ubuntu and Mint also have their own app stores that make it easy to find and download new software.Linux Mint most definitely has an edge when it comes to speed and performance. On a newer machine, the difference may be barely noticeable, but on older hardware, it will definitely feel faster. Ubuntu appears to run slower the older the machine gets. If you’re going to use Ubuntu on older hardware, I recommend your go in for Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

Regards,
    Christian
    https://www.clouddesktoponline.com/

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017