List of bug fixes on latest official driver (SBXF_PCDRV_L11_2_30_0004)

Discussion in 'PAX Download - PCI X-Fi Series' started by medeirosdez, Mar 30, 2014.

1. medeirosdez

medeirosdez New Member

I have downloaded and installed the brand new driver Creative has released this last March 27th for the PCI X-Fi sound cards (SBXF_PCDRV_L11_2_30_0004). I have tested the driver in every aspect, every scenario where I had found a bug on previous versions. Thus far, I have found NONE of them bugs again.

I think that, the same way we criticize and complain, we must acknowledge a good work that has been done and give kudos to those who have earned it. And Creative's developers deserve it now.

I'm very impressed at the final product that has been delivered to us customers this time. A HUMONGOUS THANK YOU to Creative for not abandoning PCI X-Fi users and providing us with a final high-quality piece of software. I love my card even more now!

FIXED bugs:

- BSOD when switching Crystalizer on/off while outputting sound through ASIO interface.
    - Settings changes to Console Launcher not being saved at system restart.
    - Console Launcher freezing (not closing) after having it opened while outputting sound through ASIO.
    - Hardware resampling distorting sound.

Minor glitches still present:

- Windows still lists 32 bit audio resolution for output. Technically, that is inconsistent with X-Fi's hardware capabilities although it works...
    - Set Windows to 44.1KHz (any definition, a.k.a 16, 24bits); play any sound and it will be distorted.
    Workaround 1: play a 44.1KHz sound through ASIO and the sound distorts no more.
    Workaround 2: set Console Launcher to Audio Creation Mode and manually set sampling rate to 44.1KHz.

Note: outputting 44.1KHz in ANY situation through ASIO and OpenAL does NOT distort sound anymore. Above glitch happens with Windows Audio interface only.

New regression found:

- After using the OS for a while, switching from Entertainment mode to Gaming mode will stop playing sound through Windows standard API's.

It doesn't happen only with headphones output, as suggested by Gruee user at this forum. I have a 7.1CH system and, after using my computer during the day and switching to Gaming mode just now, I have lost sound altogether. Sound still plays ok through ASIO and OpenAL though.

Workaround:

1) After losing sound, go to:
    Windows Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound

2) On the new window that pops up, double click Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi) and another window will pop up.

3) On this new window, click the "Advanced" tab and change sampling rate to whatever option available. There will be a warning message saying a program is outputting sound, just ignore the warning and hit Yes.

4) Now, go back to default "24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)".

There you have it, sound is restored and you didn't have to bother restarting Windows!

I hope to have helped!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. gk8aq

gk8aq Active Member

They remove DD and DTS decode capability
    Which is a foul (red card) for me if they don't fix it!

3. medeirosdez

medeirosdez New Member

4. gk8aq

gk8aq Active Member