Lockups with AHCI

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Liqourice, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

A while ago I changed the setup on my HTPC and changed from IDE to AHCI in bios, after changing the appropriate settings in registry and so on of course.

After I did this I started getting random lockups while watching video files. VLC would freeze up in one frame and repeat a short burst of sound with a few seconds interval and it wouldn't move on from this. Also, even if I opened the task manager I couldn't shut down the program, it alwasy took something between half a minute to a minute before it closed down and I could resume watching from the same instant as it froze.

I got so annoyed with this so I changed back to IDE again and after that this problem disappeared completely.

I didn't really notice any benefit from AHCI over IDE but it was a test to see if it would make a difference and the only difference I notices were these lockups. I have no problem staying with IDE, it works perfectly well as is, but it does annoy me that I can't figure out what caused this.

Anyone got any idea?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

1: What machine is this... If it's intel x58 or Prior to the 70's series intel chipsets (z77 or it's sub models).. in windows 7 onward.. you cannot use or should not use anything newer than version 13.1-13.3 version of the RST driver for AHCI/RAID, windows 10's included driver is best.

Windows 10 proper method of switch mode no longer works well with registry change... load up msconfig .. go to boot tab... then check the Safe mode, apply.. and then restart ~> into the bios, change mode, save settings, restart, load up windows, make sure the mode change appears to have changed... load msconfig, uncheck safe mode, restart... done.

3. Liqourice

It's windows 7 and an AMD 785G board.

4. Judas

oh, i see..

Are you still using the microsoft supplied AHCI driver or did you download the latest 15.7 chipset drivers and do a manual install of the amd AHCI driver? (run the installer, DON'T install the USB filter driver... if no AHCI shows up, that won't be unusual since i can't think of the last time it actually did... manually go into the device manager and set it to look through the folder the installer had created, it'll find the right one, give that one a go)

5. Liqourice

As I wrote I switched back to IDE and everything works again. I honestly don't know why I changed, I guess it was more a test. I can live with it as it is, the gains from having it in AHCI probably won't benefit the HTPC anyway so. It just bugs me when I don't know why things happen, I guess it's one of those autistic things that I need to figure out why things happen and how to fix them.

6. Judas

Well don't feel too bad.... I know MANY of the 900 series and older AMD chipset boards had a tendency to act up strangely while running in AHCI mode and i could never figure out why outside of seeing it as a common occurance with identical or similar boards.

What i would like to know is why some specific models work fine while others even from the same manufacturer doesn't.

What i'm really glad about, is that it appears AMD's got ahci sorted on the newer boards.... and ironically, nvme pci-ex is kinda the standard today though.

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too. From my experience the MS supplied driver usually runs better than AMDs, but I've heard of stuttering issues in some cases. I have one machine somewhere using this board, using MS AHCI driver... I'll have to try your suggestion, Judas, and use the 15.7 (manual update).

Of note, if memory serves, running an SSD on a SATA controller set to IDE mode... doesn't that mean TRIM is turned off for the SSD?

8. Judas

Yes trim isn't viable when in IDE mode as the protocol isn't supported. However the SSDs should have it's own method of trim and garbage collection, Just make sure to over provision if the drive supports the benefits of overprovisioning... I over provision all my samsung drives and my customers samsung SSDs by 10% or more (usually not more than 12%.)

128GB EVOs overprovisioned with 100GB for the user (technically), 250gb EVOs over provision with 209GB to the user, and 500gb i think are set to 425GB to user.

I've the Dragon Kit board still with the Phenom II 940 x4 cpu that i received from AMD via Zardon back in 2009... I find using the 15.7 driver with the SSD works best, prior drivers would either lock up or bsod constantly, but the 15.7 seems to work fine, better than the MS supplied version in windows 10, though i haven't tested anything since V3 of windows 10.