looking at a G11 and DeathAdder G3 oppinions?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dark Lord, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

im looking at picking up a new G11 and Deathadder G3 to replace my 5...6? year old Intellipoint 1.1 and MS MultiMedia keyboard. key shafts are starting to bind and the mouse is wearing smooth.

so, what are your guys opinions on them? i know theyre a bit older now, so some one should have a long term experience with them by now.

2. Dark Lord

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the 3G Razer Deathadder mouse (the G3 is another mouse they sell, btw), but the Logitech G11 is a really decent board. I have the original G15 personally, and love it. Nice soft keys, very responsive, however I have to keep the backlight on all the time as the keys are black, and the text on them, while clear, is more grey then a white kind of clear.

There are 3 things of major concern for you consider with the G11: 1) just as with the G15 the built in USB ports are not USB 2.0 ports, they are 1.1. Even though Logitech says they are "Full Speed" you will note they don't say USB 2.0 anywhere on their site in regards to those ports. I've found that plugging any USB2.0 devices into those ports either work, or don't. It all depends on how much power they pull (I absolutely can't use them for my Logitech G5, or a couple of my flash pens), 2) at a little over 21½” long it takes up a decent amount of desktop space, and lastly, 3) are you really going to use the G1-G18 macro keys?

Personally, I'd look at getting the newer G15. It is 1½” shorter in length due to the removal of 12 of the 18 G keys (but you still have 6 keys, plus the 3 levels of macro switching), and the orange back light is a bit brighter than the blue of the G11 and original G15.

4. Dark Lord

i just read it some where today, and for the life of me cant find it again. anyways, from what i saw, theres 3 different death adders. 1g 2g and 3g, 3g being the newest revision and with the best specs.

as for the g11/15, i do like the 15 more so, but i can get this g11 for 25 bucks brand new. size isnt much of an issue, i found the dimensions and the g11 is 21.5 x 9 with no wrist support. my current keyboard is 17.9x10.7.

i doubt ill use the G keys much, if at all. from what ive seen, it just looked like a very nice over all keyboard. if it wasnt for these damned multimedia/programmable keys ive grown quite fond of, id be out looking for a regular old black keyboard again.

5. lepel

lepel New Member

Why don´t you go for a lycosa or an arctosa by razer? Those are options, too.

I have the G11 and it's a very good keyboard, though I could live without the G keys and the backlit functions. The only bad thing about it is that the usb ports are 1.1 instead of 2.0, so I can't connect my creative zen to it. And beware, it's a pretty large keyboard (if you have a narrow deskspace).

I can't say much about the G3 because I don't own one.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Oh hell. For $25, what are you waiting for? :lol:

Just to clarify the USB issue with the old G15 (not sure if this still exists with the newer one). The problem is that the keyboards USB ports only allow for 100mA per port MAX. The G15's hub is what's considered a "low powered bus device hub". That means that only lower powered USB devices (which cannot exceed more than 100mA by spec) can be used on it. Problem is that something like a simple USB flash pen can use 300mA easily. With the G5 mouse (which uses 98mA, btw) I get pointer lag, and if I unplug a USB device, even properly using the disconnect procedure, from any port in my computer, my mouse will completely die (or both), and I have to unplug it, then plug it back in to get it to work again. Funny thing is this doesn't happen with optical mice. Only laser mice. Also, if you plug in a device that is self powered (has it's own power supply), you won't have any issues. It's only if the device you connect draws power from the port that problems start cropping up.

Suffice it to say, I don't use those ports at all, and since I have other ports within arms reach, some of which are on a powered USB hub on my desktop, this is a very minor gripe for me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  7. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I just got my self the Cordless Wave Pro that has the wave board and MX1100 mouse. Sofar I'm happy with them. I like the way the wheel works. The fas scroll and the slow.

8. Dark Lord

i just bought them. a brand new G11 and Voodoo branded Deathadder for 56 dollars shipped. most expensive mouse and keyboard ive ever owned, but they do seem to have very nice reviews, and are a little birthday gift to my self.

Cow_160483 likes this.
  9. mike2h

mike2h New Member

grats & happy bday!!!!!!!!!
    bty i love my da mouse:) based on my experience with the razer 'cuda(& one of my buddies-hes still pissed at me for rec this board) i will never buy another razer keyboard or a razer based keyboard.
    not that any of that matters to u lol.
    anyway, enjoy.

10. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Nice Dark Lord enjoy your new hardware to the fullest!!