Looking for Mobile Workstations

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by IvanV, Dec 11, 2014.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

A couple of my colleagues are having difficulties finding a laptop after their taste, so I'm turning to you guys for ideas. Here is the list of desirable qualities:
    • 17 inches, 1080p
    • a true quad core i7
    • accessible RAM slots that can be populated with more than 8GB (ideally, 4 slots for up to 32GB)
    • two drive bays
    • it mustn't look out of place in a meeting, which generally excludes gaming laptops
    • price up to around 2000€, or not much more
    • weight, obviously, unimportant
    Any recommendations? :)

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Well, my gaming laptop was from them http://www.mysn.eu/index.php and although I haven't received it yet, I don't think you can call their laptops looking out of place in a meeting. As for which model and configuration, that's up to you. :) Price wise they are good. Quality, I can't speak yet, though the review here of one of their models (505, which I ordered) makes them look good enough for me.

Another option might be the Lenovo laptops. I have the 15", but ET3D has the 17" version, he might have more details on it. http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/threads/lenovo-y50-70.228944/#post-1517780

AFAIK the are all under 2K Euros.

IvanV likes this.
  3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

When thinking businesses, generally Lenovo is one of the best bets; they have made quality laptops that have been used for years. The graphics cards generally aren't installed with gaming in mind so pretty much any line will suffice.
    Other ones to look out for are systems that have similar specs to Macbooks. The x50M graphics cards don't serve well for gaming but do exceptionally well for multi-monitor setups if that is something that you are factoring in.

IvanV likes this.
  4. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

When I thought of buying the laptop I considered the ASUS N750JK, and that has two drive slots. It's limited to 16GB though. The N751JK is newer, has a faster graphics card (860M vs. 850M), slightly faster CPU and I just checked the manual and it has two disks.

The IdeaPad I have has only one drive bay, and no optical drive (which can sometimes be used as an addition HDD bay in a pinch). It's also somewhat "gamey-looking", so doesn't meet your spec.

I couldn't find a business laptop with support for 32GB. You might want to look at gaming laptops and hope to find one which looks muted enough for your needs.

IvanV likes this.
  5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Ah! I remebered the manufacturer!

Look up Eurocom; it checks all of the boxes:
    • 17 inches, 1080p (check)
    • a true quad core i7 (check - even has desktop processors!)
    • accessible RAM slots that can be populated with more than 8GB (check - expandable up to 32GB, I think some take more)
    • two drive bays (check)
    • it mustn't look out of place in a meeting (check - they're primarily black)
    • price up to around 2000€, or not much more (um... maybe?)
    • weight, obviously, unimportant (just as well!)

IvanV likes this.
  6. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

That does look good for him. According to the site you can get a really good configuration for 2000€.

7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Thanks, guys! Tak, those machines look perfect. Trusteft, yours looks really good as well, I was looking at it even before you posted. I'll pass on the suggestions. Availability and brand preference might be issues, but hey, that's them being difficult customers. :D

8. MSINotebookUK

MSINotebookUK Member

Hi Ivan, what kind of Software will you be looking for. We do a range of Mobile Workstation with Nvidia Quadro Graphics on board