Looking for remote control software tips.

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by mkk, Jan 4, 2012.

1. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'm interested in hearing a little about others experiences with easy to use remote control software, mainly to be used for controlling a home computer from various other places. It's nice if it would have some spiffy features but I think the most important factor will be that it's simple and quick to set up on the other end, and secure of course. It also needs to be some kind of free of charge software.

I will finally be able to ditch my cable modem(lousy upstream) and upgrade my internet connection in a month or two(TP port just installed in apt, not sure how soon I can sign up) and should soon have a secondary system up to test with locally, but if you have a moment to spare and would like to share your experience I and possibly someone else would be happy to hear a little about what you've been using. :)

I won't be needing any functions to play games over the connection, but a secondary use as file sharing/backup with other much less tech savy computer users(family, friends) could be of interest down the line. But not initially important.

Ideas:
    Logmein Hamachi (maybe time limited trial?)
    Logmein Free (looks simple enough and should be free, lol)
    Windows 7 built-in remote control? (probably not easy enough, and OS integration not necessary or perhaps even wanted)

2. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

A couple days late on your post, sorry man. There's a couple out there that are slick depending on need. For my parents who are not tech savvy at all, I use TeamViewer. It's a web based remote software that doesn't require you to open any ports on their firewall and it's free for home use. VNC used to be good too but haven't used it in a while, also free. Dameware is my personal favorite as it uses machine specific credentials and you can push the install out to others but isn't free and does require a port opened up on the firewall in order to get it working. PCAnywhere used to be pretty good and is similiar to Dameware but no remote install (it's also been a while so this feature may be included now). Logmein.com used to be free and you could connect up to 5 systems under your account. Web based program. Have not used it, have only heard about it though so i don't know how well the service is. I believe all of these have some type of a "transfer files" option into them.

3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

At my workplace we all like to use Logmein and recommend it to anyone that requires remote access. It's easy, it's web-based and best of all it's free.
    I've used a few different solutions for remote access software but I've always preferred Logmein. It was an invaluable asset to my uni years as I often forgot to bring the latest copy with my to work on it.
    To date I have had no dis-benefits with using Logmein. It's even secure enough for PCI compliance level 1. It supports pretty much all browsers too.

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, good to hear of your experiences. I'm in no rush here so I'll have time to evaluate. Seems I can't go wrong by giving both TeamViewer and Logmein Free a chance.

5. Enidqbv

Enidqbv New Member

6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

While the thread is still active I'll just add that I haven't gotten around to trying things out yet, mostly because the new line is aparently taking months to get activated after its installment. I'll share my experience as soon as I have one. Appreaciate all the response. :)

7. aliasgar1234

aliasgar1234 New Member

Quality remote support services can never be free though. You may want to check GoSupportNow, which costs only at $19.95/month. Alternatively, you may even want to consider on premise remote support appliance such as RHUB.

8. markjbte

markjbte New Member

I tried several remote control software but so far TeamViewer is the best and fastest. I don't know about it's security but i know it is good for my needs.

9. cstX

cstX Member

At work we use VNC as well as TeamViewer and Join.me. I personally prefer TeamViewer since it has no lag what-so-ever but Join.me site is nice too. VNC depends more on the machine your connecting to since they have to setup an EchoVNC server on that machine and if its a slowish older rig it can get very frustrating.

10. jaydeee

jaydeee New Member

We are using TeamViewer in the office... I must say that I am impressed on its performance. Internet connection is slow but TeamViewer still managed to connect and finished my job.

11. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

Teamviewer is absolutely awesome, for clients we use a variety of remote access apps, but we all like teamviewer best of all. We don't use it regularly because we don't have access, only for emergencies. But other choices:

-UltraVNC (never tried but hear good things)
    -Radmin (quite good)
    -NetOp (kinda slow)

PC Anywhere sucks now. Team viewer is so nice & lightweight, quick and extremely clear. Even their apps for your phone and tablet work amazing, its amazing I can load up my desktop right on my iPhone or iPad and show people stuff. Also I'm at work, I can load up everything in 1080p no problem.