Make a folder Undeletable

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

running Win 10 .. so I am not sure how I did it but I managed to delete my entire Picture folder with all the photos I scanned a few years ago

So easy question is there a way or some software that will allow me to make individual folders undeletable

thanks

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

NTFS permissions? That should do the trick. Of course, as owner, you'd have the option to change permissions and delete it, but it would prevent you (or anyone else) from deleting it by accident.

I hope you managed to get your photos back.

3. Mr Cairo

Yeah managed to get my photos back ... any chance you can elaborate on your solution I assume I goto right click folder - properties - Security ... but then what ?

cheers

4. IvanV

It's trickier than I thought!

On the Security tab, click Advanced, then Add. On the screen that appears, go to Select a principal and add a user or a group that you wish to secure, change type to Deny, click Show advanced features and tick Delete and Delete subfolders and files (untick all others). Click OK a bunch of times and test if it works. :)

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

Glad you recovered those photos! While I haven't deleted something like that unintentionally, some members of the family have done so and/or had a HDD start going bad and lost access to files that way. I picked up a copy of Recover My Files some time ago that works quite well recovering lost/deleted folders and files. With this one, you can run it from the disc without actually having to install anything.

6. Mr Cairo

cheers for the replies ... tried twice and failed will try to spend a little more time on it when I finsih work

had hoped there was a hidden "do not delete this ..EVER" option in the submenus :)

7. IvanV

Hmm, that's strange... I tried with adding the rule for both my current user and then just the Administrators group (and not the individual user) and in both cases the system prevented me from deleting a photo. It's on Windows 8.1, but that shouldn't make any difference. I'm at work, but I could make a few screenshots later today.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Windows 10's shadow copy (introduced since i think vista... but improved on and increased) provided you have not disabled shadow copies.... or ran disk cleanups have a tendency to save lives...

If you don't want windows 10 to outright delete the files/folders without first asking you if you are sure you want to move it to recycle bin (something they got rid of in windows 8 first i believe)... turn the dialogue box back on in the recycling properties.

9. Mr Cairo

ok so

right click folder
    properties
    security

have 4 options on top Authenticated Users, System, administrators, Users (my name)

I choose Admin and edit .....

then im lost it takes me to a screen that does not seem to follow what you originally posted

10. IvanV

Don't go to Edit , go to Advanced:

01Undeletable.PNG

Then Add:

02Undeletable.PNG

Then Select a principal (e.g. Administrators) and then click Show Advanced permissions:

03Undeletable.PNG

Set the Type to Deny and only check Delete and Delete subfolders and files:

04Undeletable.PNG

That's it. :)

11. Mr Cairo

when I click select a principal this screen appears and I am still lost ... this is not as easy as I had hoped :)

Image1.jpg

12. Mr Cairo

Ok that worked it now prompts me for permission to delet the folder ... thank you IvanV you have been a massive help ....sending you karma, Rep and Pizza :)

IvanV likes this.
  13. IvanV

Haha, thanks! :D I'm glad you got it sorted. :)

14. Mr Cairo

OK I thought I had it sorted until today when I tried to access the folder and recieved the same adminastrator warning clicked allow on the warninga nd was prompted that the only way to access the folder was to make changes in the security tab ... any ideas

15. IvanV

Can you describe the scenario in a bit more detail? I only tested it for a short while, but the only thing I noticed I could not do (even if I clicked allow) was delete stuff.

16. Mr Cairo

After doing everything as described when if I tried to delete the folder I get the Admin Warning and have to click allow and thats great thats what I wanted ...

But when iItry to actually access the folder I get the same admin warning so i figured click allow but all that does is bring up a small box that tells me to change the security settings if I want to access the folder

Cant see where its gone wrong or how TBH

17. techster101

techster101 New Member

Have you tried going via the run dialogue box? Then you hit cmd+enter, which will open the command prompt. You can't create undeletable folders in the same drive as the one that Windows is installed in as far as I am aware. So If Windows is installed in C drive, go to D or E in the command prompt. Once you're in the right drive, type md con \ command, which will create a folder named "con". Now add your material to the folder. If you try to delete or rename it, it shouldn't be possible.

Alternatively, just start creating back ups. I know we all know the importance of back ups, and I am sure we all learned that lesson by having something like this happen to us, but I am still just going to leave this here too...

https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide/server/security/how-does-data-backup-work-for-databases/

18. ChristianC123

ChristianC123 New Member

1. Go to Start Menu and then click Run (or press Win+R) to get Run dialogue box.
    2. Type cmd and hit enter to open Command Prompt.
    3. You can’t create such folders in root drive i.e., where Windows is installed. So, if your Windows is installed in C: drive, type D: or E: in command prompt.
    4. Now, your command prompt is in D: (or E:) drive. Type md con\ command to create folder with name “con” (md=make directory).
    5. Now browse to the location (D: drive) and you’ll see a folder just created there with name con. You can use any of the windows reserved keywords such aux, lpt1, lpt2, lpt3 up to lpt9 to create folders with these name through command prompt.
    6. Add your material to the folder
    Regards,
    Christian
    http://cloudappsportal.com/

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017